PDA

View Full Version : Steve Murphy to coach Titans under 20's

Queenslander
07-08-07, 09:09 AM
In the Courier Mail today it has been reported that Steve Murphy will be the inaugural coach of the Titans under 20's side.

EDIT: Here are some details about the current Titans assistant coach

http://titans.com.au/images/articles/070626122127-Murph.jpg

D.O.B: 26/03/1971

Place of birth: Auburn, Sydney NSW

Junior Club: Sefton Joeys

Senior Club: Western Suburbs

Position: Centre

Representative honours: NSW & Australian touch teams

Childhood hero: Terry Lamb

Most respected opponent: Tim Brasher

Other interests: Golf, race horses

Comments on involvements with the club: "It's a pleaure to have been invited onto the coaching staff of a fledgling club, it is a fresh challenge for me and I am really looking forward to my time ahead with the Titans"

from www.titans.com.au

lonegull
07-08-07, 11:16 AM
Great news he used to coach my brother at ST Gregory's at campletown in NSW

Kelvinator
07-08-07, 04:18 PM
i heard a radio interview with bruno cullen, and he said that the broncos would not be playing their top u/20 players in this comp because it wouldn't prepare them for the nrl, instead they would be playing in qld cup still. wonder what the titans are going to do?

Old Diehard
07-08-07, 10:27 PM
Kelvinator - what did you hear in this interview.. I'm interested what Bruno Callen had to say!
I doubt that 18 year old david taylor will ever play the NRL's jersey flegg comp next year> I'm interested in what the Broncos CEO has to say.

This expanded Jersey Flegg /U20's comp next year could be a mill stone around the NRL neck- the NSWRL U 20's Jesery Flegg comp may have been popular in Sydney the last few years but the new expanded comp is all about TV rights and I'm not sure it's in the best interest of the game nationally. Haven't heard Bruno Cullen's opinion and he probably has played his cards close to his chest so as not to upset things but I love to know what he said.

Cowboy Titan
07-08-07, 10:54 PM
Why the game's next stars will be playing out of sight

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/nyc-hard-pressed-to-attract-stars/2007/08/04/1185648204691.html

Adrian Proszenko | August 5, 2007

It's being billed as the competition with the best young talent in rugby league, your chance to spot the next Greg Inglis before he hits the big time.

But the National Youth Competition is in danger of degenerating into farce before next year's kick-off after the majority of NRL coaches indicated they'd pull their best young talent out of the new championships.

From next year, clubs must decide on how to best foster their young guns - in the new national under-20s competition (NYC) to be played before NRL games or the open-age championships, currently known as premier league, away from the spotlight.

In a crippling blow to the NYC, most coaches couldn't guarantee they'd place their elite youngsters in the under-20s championship when The Sun-Herald contacted all 16 clubs during the week.

The move effectively means that fans could be robbed of seeing the likes of much-hyped Cronulla signing Karl McNichol, exciting Warriors back-rower Sonny Fai or any number of other teenaged stars who aren't playing at NRL level next year.

Many coaches added that young players dropped from first grade would have to make their way back up to NRL level through the open-age competition, which would be played away from NRL fixtures.

While all coaches stressed they would make decisions on players on a case-by-case basis, the majority believed their young stars would develop quicker against seasoned campaigners rather than opponents their own age.

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett, Canberra's Neil Henry, Manly's Des Hasler and the Warriors' Ivan Cleary were particularly outspoken on their preference for their gun juniors to go straight into open-age competition.

"They need to get match hardened so you play them in the over-age competition," Hasler said. "The under-20s will be nothing more than a glorified SG Ball competition."

The Broncos have decided their brightest stars will continue to develop in the Queensland Cup rather than in the NYC.

"The last thing those kids need is spending more time playing kids their own age," Bennett said.

"We're about developing players for the NRL and we believe they'll do a better job in the state league."

Henry feared the standard of the NYC wouldn't be as high as officials are expecting.

"It's a real worry that everyone assumes we'll put those players in our national 20s - we're not," Henry said. "Is it going to be the elite competition it's drummed up to be? I question that. They're having a salary cap on it that's restricting the ability of some clubs who spend a fair bit of money on their players under the age of 20.

"We could have a situation where a guy has played a couple of first-grade games, is on the fringe and is only 19 years old, but we might send him to Souths Logan to play in the Queensland Cup competition because he might get a higher standard there than in the national 20s.

"I've got my doubts whether it will stay in its current format for more than one season."

Stuart said the NYC was "too young" and suggested it be changed to an under-22s competition.

"Premier league [open age] will be better at developing them," Stuart said.

"Hopefully it will be a strong enough competition to help them develop to play first grade."

National Youth 20s tournament boss Michael Buettner said he was unconcerned by the initial feedback of the coaches. He said there would be no attempt to force clubs to field their best players in the NYC.

"Coaches are traditionally conservative but as they see the standard of footy in the Toyota Cup [NYC] they'll start to worry about the risk they are taking in not having their players being a part of what's happening," Buettner said.

"Some clubs may look to blood a player when he's on the verge of first grade against some older guys in the premier league but the under 20s is still going to be the competition that you see these players emerge from."

Several influential figures, including Player Managers Executive president Steve Gillis, are concerned that players could be lost to rugby union or Super League if they fall through the gaps between the NYC and the NRL.

Buettner, however, said the responses from the coaches reinforced his confidence in the NSWRL-run open-age competition.

Penrith coach Matthew Elliott said his club would take the NYC seriously and hoped others would do likewise.

"The NRL has come up with the concept of an under-20s comp and we're going to support it," he said. "We still think the best path to first grade is premier league, but we're going to play our best 20s in that comp unless we think there's a kid close to playing first grade, who we might play in premier league.

"I like the structure we've got at the moment, but if this competition is going to be put up then we should give it our full commitment and support.

"If every club makes a big commitment to it, then it could be of very high quality.

"But I think the team that leads the 20s will probably come last in premier league."

North Queensland coach Graham Murray said the NYC would provide his promising youngsters an opportunity to get used to the rigours of travelling to away venues in the NRL.

"My immediate thoughts are that our best young blokes would be in that [NYC] team," he said. "Part of our brief is travelling and getting used to going to Sydney every second week. The other thing is you're playing on the same ground before your first-grade side, so it's a curtain-raiser."

An unwanted switch

How might the national youth competition help kill off promising careers in the NRL? Ask Pierce Sapsford, who is preparing to switch from league to union.

The 20-year-old utility knocked back an approach from Randwick rugby club four years ago to sign with the Roosters, where he has played SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and premier league. But because he will be too old to play in next year's under-20s, he believes he has little hope of pressing for NRL selection in the new open-age competition and will instead join the Galloping Greens.

"It's really frustrating," Sapsford said. "If you're not under-20s and playing in that comp, you're not going to get a lot of coverage. They'll be looking at all of those young blokes while we're playing park football.It would have been good to stay in league but I've got no choice - you've got to make your living somewhere."

Steelers
07-08-07, 11:02 PM
This youth comp is going to crash and burn just as badly as the new ARU national comp...

Kelvinator
08-08-07, 08:37 AM
Kelvinator - what did you hear in this interview.. I'm interested what Bruno Callen had to say!
I doubt that 18 year old david taylor will ever play the NRL's jersey flegg comp next year> I'm interested in what the Broncos CEO has to say.

This expanded Jersey Flegg /U20's comp next year could be a mill stone around the NRL neck- the NSWRL U 20's Jesery Flegg comp may have been popular in Sydney the last few years but the new expanded comp is all about TV rights and I'm not sure it's in the best interest of the game nationally. Haven't heard Bruno Cullen's opinion and he probably has played his cards close to his chest so as not to upset things but I love to know what he said.

i suppose this article answers your question, but basically he said they would not be worried about where there team sits in the under 20s, they would use it to bring 17 and 18 year olds into stronger competition and inprove their game. Any player that looks like playing nrl anytime soon will be playing qld cup.

Old Diehard
08-08-07, 09:33 AM
Interesting that is the first time I've seen it mentioned that Union stands to benefit from players older than 20 crossing over if they are just off the NRL pace...Certainly it's a concern that I've raised in many times on this forum and it looks like others see this potentially happening.

I definitely have my doubts to the benfits of what I called the expanded Jesery Flegg but apparently it's the SG ball Comp that has expanded- pardon my ignorance I meant the current U20 comp in Sydney.

I watch our FOGS Colts (that's Former Origin Greats U19 comp here ) regularly, simply because some of knowing about some of these kids from their juniors, but SG ball means as such to me as English Super League - I have no real interest.

Queenslander
06-09-07, 03:10 PM
Steve Murphy named as Titans Under 20's head coach

Steve Murphy is the only member of the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coaching team not to have played in the NRL in fact Steve Murphy is a former Australian touch football representative, a sport well removed from the hard hitting sport of collision that is Rugby League.

On a daily basis Murphy works along side Coach John Cartwright, himself a Rugby League Premiership winner, State of Origin representative and Kangaroo tourist, Queensland State of Origin legend Trevor Gillmeister (Assistant Coach) and one time State of Origin representative and NRL premiership winner Scott Sattler in an assistant coaching capacity.

When he's not taking drills with the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans or analysing opposition play and finding tactical weaknesses in the lead up to another crucial NRL encounter, you'll find Steve Murphy at Palm Beach Currumbin High school where he is employed as a full time science and physical education teacher.

A caring family man, Steve is also a footy tragic and he'll tell anyone who cares to listen that "Rugby League is the greatest game of all" he's also been known to text team mates with a simple message " 3 days til kick off" or " not long now"

Steve says the biggest challenge has been juggling his teaching, the NRL and family life but says he would not give it up for anything.

"I go into the Titans office most mornings before school for a few hours to study tapes of the other teams and try give the boys an edge heading into the next game", he said. "I'm away with the squad most weekends, to be honest I don't know how the family put up with me, but they know I love it and I make sure I am there and involved as much as I can be."

Steve's wife Renee is a Queensland touch football representative and so both appreciates and understands her husband's commitment and dedication.

There will be a big change in the Murphy household come November 1 this year as Steve takes a years leave of absence from teaching to take on the full-time position as Titans under-20s head coach, he'll also maintain his assistant coaching duties with the senior side.

"Were all very excited about the under 20's competition and I am looking forward to taking some of my own ideas along with what I have learnt from working alongside Carty (John Cartwright) and putting together what we feel will be a very exciting young Gold Coast team."

"He is a real man of integrity, what he says is what he feels and for him to give me the opportunity to work with him I jumped at the chance.''

"I'm also very aware that to build a successful football team we need happy and fulfilled players on the books and that means making sure that the balance between study and training is just right. We have the right people in place to make sure that they are fit, well and ready to go... it's now up to me to prove myself in the coaching arena, but whatever happens one thing is for sure, I'll give it my all and have a great time doing it.

www.titans.com.au

Kelvinator
06-09-07, 03:29 PM
have heard that the titans have bought some premier league players to come up and play in the under 20's.

stormside
06-09-07, 07:11 PM
I have no doubts the U/20 comp will attract far more interest then the Premier league comp that used to play before the main game. I would say there will be some fantastic footy played in this comp next year. And those crying the death knell for this comp should probably wait till they witness at least 1 season of it. Great depth at this level. Im really looking forward to it.

PROMETHEUS
07-09-07, 03:11 PM
have heard that the titans have bought some premier league players to come up and play in the under 20's.

Names?
Source?:)

Kelvinator
07-09-07, 04:13 PM
don't know names, but i can tell you that a few of them are from the tigers and were keebra students a few years back.