PDA

View Full Version : Titans Use Of Local Recruits

dee13
06-08-07, 07:47 PM
I have reposted this as a new thread to get your feedback on Titans managements use of local talent in the first grade team.

this Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinator
not one player has made their first grade debut in titans colours yet. there was a piece in big league about all the rookies to play nrl this year, and the only two the titans had were smith samau (nrl debut for storm last year, don't even know why they put him in the article) and richie williams, who made his nrl debut but has played rep footy for great britain.

pretty f***ed really, i was gonna follow the titans because i thought that some local players might get a look in, but it appears is not the case.

QUOTE:
In response by myself : Dee13

I will differ with you in regards to Carty's use of local talent.

Anthony Laffranchi is from this region, Murwillumbah. I believe one of the reasons he was signed is because of that fact.

Mat Rogers is a TSS boy and was raised on the Coast.

Josh Graham is also a former TSS boy who was born in Taree, Mid North NSW

Clint Amos has been given an amazing opportunity by the Titans. He is a local Burleigh Bears boy. Born in Far North NSW, Ballina.

Luke O'Dwyer grew up on the Tweed.

Preston Campbell, whilst he is from Inverell, He was a Charger in 1998 when the club was taken out of the NRL. Presto is back home at the Titans.

Nathan Friend was born in Toowoomba which isn't that far away.

In closing, John Cartwright and the other 15 coaches would agree. You have to bleed your local talent into the NRL. This is what is happening in the QLD Cup with Tweed and Burleigh. The young local players now realise there is a better chance than ever of getting a call-up. For some of these guys, the only thing holding them up is experience and size issues. You don't think John is rubbing his hands together at the prospect of getting his hands on Shannon Walker next year. Im sure he would get a run this year but he needs to bulk up in the off season. Im sure he would love to have some of the guys in the Colts and development team come through the ranks and play in the NRL in the coming years, and Im sure we will see that.

All the best
TITAN FOR LIFE
Dee

patskE
06-08-07, 08:00 PM
yeh but they were all playing for other clubs
he means that no one from the feeder clubs have been given a chance to show there stuff
instead u get guys like samau n kalhar just being dead wieghts

Steve
06-08-07, 08:13 PM
Hoss would be closer to the current players, the Qld Cup players and coach than any of us. I'm sure there's a reason he's not using them which we're not privy to.

Samau hasn't gone that bad. Had a decent game on saturday I thought, and most of our forwards haven't been putting in, Kahler isn't the only one to blame there.

It's a new team in their first year, and we're gunning for the semis. The coach is doing alright.

Teegy
06-08-07, 08:20 PM
i have to say this is one of the reasons i lost alot of my support for the titans. i have been a huge tweed fan in the QRL since they were allowed in. but after the team having alot of problems in the backs they still were not used. their are guys like Nat Barnes (tweed leading try scorer last 2 yrs running) and others who are in great form like Shannon Walker, Josh Vaughan, and james wood. but you also have alot of size with burliegh backs like Aseri Laing, Trent purden and nick parfitt. im also amazed how chris enahoro hasnt had a run this year.

also i dont want to seem to negative but of the names on your list dee only 1 played QLD cup for on of the feeder clubs before moving on and that was luke o'dwyer

Kelvinator
06-08-07, 08:23 PM
but my point is, besides richie mathers, not one player has made their nrl dubut with the titans. Admittably i know sweet f.a. about coaching, but from watching football, surely some of the players in the qld cup are ready to play first grade. there are better players then kris kahler playing qld cup, and it does not take a genius to see this. and what about chris enahoro? has he gotten on one of the coaching staffs bad side? has he p***ed someone off? all of the guys on your list have been gone from the coast for years and debuted with other clubs, so they don't really feel like local players.

these are just my feelings on the subject, not saying i am right but it is just what i think.

PROMETHEUS
06-08-07, 08:29 PM
i have to say this is one of the reasons i lost alot of my support for the titans. i have been a huge tweed fan in the QRL since they were allowed in. but after the team having alot of problems in the backs they still were not used. their are guys like Nat Barnes (tweed leading try scorer last 2 yrs running) and others who are in great form like Shannon Walker, Josh Vaughan, and james wood. but you also have alot of size with burliegh backs like Aseri Laing, Trent purden and nick parfitt. im also amazed how chris enahoro hasnt had a run this year.

also i dont want to seem to negative but of the names on your list dee only 1 played QLD cup for on of the feeder clubs before moving on and that was luke o'dwyer

Go on the dragons forum then..:der:

Teegy
06-08-07, 08:36 PM
Go on the dragons forum then..:der:
already am. but i enjoy the topics that cover more than just the dragons. thats why i decided to follow from the original test gold coast forum. and as i posted i am a huge Tweed and burliegh fan. and this is bout as close as i can get to those types on fans. but how about we keep this on subject

PROMETHEUS
06-08-07, 08:47 PM
Seems a pretty weak excuse to not follow a team imo..

Steelers
06-08-07, 08:57 PM
Seems a pretty weak excuse to not follow a team imo..

It's better than idiots who go "Oh noes, they're losing, I'm not gonna go for them anymore, it would be embarrassing". And believe me, that happens alot.

Queenslander
06-08-07, 09:00 PM
I would have thought that the fact that the Titans have gone through nearly a season without having to rely on players without NRL experience would have been a god-send!

Its true that the Titans haven't brought in any newbies to the NRL game but the club is still in its first season!!! I am sure we will see the likes of Pariffit and Sandow in Titans jerseys sooner rather than later. :)

PROMETHEUS
06-08-07, 09:16 PM
Agree Qlder,its no good rushing youngsters into the NRL,its better they get the correct grounding..im sure Carty and the coaching staff have a better idea on what level the players are at than us forum coaches! :rolf:

Kelvinator
06-08-07, 10:20 PM
who said anything about rushing in youngsters? if a player in first grade is not performing and someone in a feeder side is, then i think that that player deserves a chance.

dee, are you close to any of the coaching staff? has chris enahoro upset one of them? how long is his contract? i can not possibly see how kris kahler or daniel conn has made an nrl side before him. he has played nrl at south sydney and blind freddy can see that he is a standout player week in and week out for tweed.

i find it hard to believe that out of three feeder clubs, not one player is ready to step up to play nrl.

what is a good reason for not following a side promethus?

kwigibo
06-08-07, 11:09 PM
has chris enahoro upset one of them? ?

I thought he was named 18th man for the last game. With Amos seemingly out, maybe this is his week.

patskE
07-08-07, 12:55 AM
prob see grahman given a run b4 him but i rkn lol

lonegull
07-08-07, 07:15 AM
there is a key point everyone is missing, it is SALARY CAP, if carty has to draught a player in outside our top squad i am pretty sure the player then would come under the titans salary cap.

Kelvinator
07-08-07, 07:40 AM
"The NRL Salary Cap for 2006 is $3.366m for the 25 highest paid players at each Club."

That is from the nrl website. The way i take this statement is that you can play as many as you want, as long as the highest paid 25 fall under 3.366. Could be wrong though - usually am.

Steve
07-08-07, 07:53 AM
I've said the cap could be an issue a few times already. Of course, no one from the club has said if this is the case. But...

"I can honestly say we are sending multiple players out there who are needled up or haven't been able to train during the week," Knights coach Brian Smith told the Herald. "It's not fair on the individual.

"I understand what the cap is supposed to do. [But] it's got to a point where we can't play anyone else because we've exhausted our second-tier cap. That puts more pressure on us to play players who are not fully fit. It's an ugly situation."

From an article here. http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/how-salary-cap-forces-the-injured-to-play/2007/07/18/1184559866706.html

While exemptions are offered if the club is suffering a huge injury toll, Joe Bloggs being in great form for the feeder club doesn't count as a reason when there's someone else who can cover the position.

Teegy
07-08-07, 09:53 AM
I've said the cap could be an issue a few times already. Of course, no one from the club has said if this is the case. But...

From an article here. http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/how-salary-cap-forces-the-injured-to-play/2007/07/18/1184559866706.html

While exemptions are offered if the club is suffering a huge injury toll, Joe Bloggs being in great form for the feeder club doesn't count as a reason when there's someone else who can cover the position.
but that also happened at the dragons after blooding their 10th rookie. i doubt giving 1 or 2 a run would break the 2nd teir cap

Steve
07-08-07, 11:36 AM
but that also happened at the dragons after blooding their 10th rookie. i doubt giving 1 or 2 a run would break the 2nd teir cap

Probably not.
But I don't have access to the Titans books to know.
From what I could gather from that article, most clubs with even a few injuries run into a few issues with fielding a team.
According to an article in the SMH there were 10 first graders out injured for the Bulldogs game, so there's been plenty of pressure on the top 25, and I have no idea how many are included in our second tier cap.

Steve
07-08-07, 12:05 PM
Had a look at our squad on the website. Parfitt, Barnes and Enahoro are in the stop squad, so no idea! :D

Teegy
07-08-07, 12:34 PM
other in the top squad are Kale Burton (burliegh bear but i have only seen him this twice this year) & Eddie Harrison (Tweed but not seen in tweed 1st grade squad this year). i would have thought if in the titans top 25 then they would be regulars in the 1st grade feeder club teams

dee13
07-08-07, 05:03 PM
other in the top squad are Kale Burton (burliegh bear but i have only seen him this twice this year) & Eddie Harrison (Tweed but not seen in tweed 1st grade squad this year). i would have thought if in the titans top 25 then they would be regulars in the 1st grade feeder club teams

Eddie Harrison is out for the season. He was injured early in the year. I believe he is still training though.

I was talking with Kale Burton and Jordan Atkins last week and they are also injured at the moment.

Tim McCann, also a leg injury. He is hoping to be back by the end of the season.

I don't have any real contacts with coaching staff and I am unsure of the Chris Enahoro situation. He played well on the weekend against Souths Logan and both Searly and Carty were there to see Tweeds good form.

Kelvinator
07-08-07, 08:50 PM
i have watched a fair few tweed games, and while he did play well, it was probably below his average if anything. and i have seen cartwright there watching before.

sorry if it seems like i am harping on about enahoro, but i can't get my head around how he doesn't get a start in nrl, and neither can a lot of other people that i talk too.

Hoppy2007Dragons
07-08-07, 08:58 PM
I have a theory, Cartwright and searle, want to use (if possible) as little qld cup players in the first year to justify their shopping list and certain players they bought(don't know why they would do this, but its all i can come up with) or perhaps their hoping by starving the qld cup players for most of if no all of the year. They will play their best football and when they do make their break they will grab it with both hands.

PROMETHEUS
07-08-07, 09:10 PM
i have watched a fair few tweed games, and while he did play well, it was probably below his average if anything. and i have seen cartwright there watching before.

sorry if it seems like i am harping on about enahoro, but i can't get my head around how he doesn't get a start in nrl, and neither can a lot of other people that i talk too.

Write the club a letter if you feel so strongly about it :)

Kelvinator
08-08-07, 08:43 AM
nah, not that worried really. my original team (warriors) looks like making top 4 so i'll just stick with them. just feel sorry for some blokes that don't seem to be getting a fair chance, but then again, same thing could happen at the warriors and every other club, i just don't see their reserve grade sides so i can't tell.