PDA

View Full Version : Round 24: Cronulla Sharks vs Gold Coast Titans

Queenslander
06-08-07, 08:55 AM
Cronulla Sharks vs Gold Coast Titans
Toyota Park; Saturday 25th August, 5:30PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx11941.jpgvshttp://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg

Remember join the Southern Legion for the battle in the Shire: http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10593

Referee: Jason Robinson

Team Notes:

Sharks

- Bryson Goodwin replaces David Simmons on the wing. Simmons moves to the centres to replace Fraser Anderson.

Titans

- John Cartwright has named an unchanged lineup to the one that played on Sunday and ended the Roosters 4 game winning streak.

Teams:
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_14.gif

1. Mitch Brown
2. Bryson Goodwin
3. Ben Pomeroy
4. David Simmons
5. Luke Covell
6. Greg Bird
7. Brett Seymour
8. Ben Ross
9. Isaac De Gois
10. Craig Stapleton
11. Reece Williams
12. Luke Douglas
13. Paul Gallen

Interchange:

14. Eddie Su’a
15. Dayne Weston
16. Paul Stephenson
17. Kevin Kingston
18. Cameron Ciraldo (one to be omitted)

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Chris Walker
2. Jake Webster
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Matthew Petersen
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince(c)
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14. Daniel Conn
15. Ian Donnelly
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Luke O'Dwyer

Queenslander
20-08-07, 01:42 PM
Bailey sees road to glory

By Daniel Pace
August 20, 2007

CO-captain Luke Bailey is confident Gold Coast can overcome its horrible away record to sneak into the NRL finals.

The Titans have won just two out of their 10 games on the road this year and need to beat the Sharks and Melbourne Storm away to secure an historic finals berth.

Boosted by a home crowd of 17,423, the NRL newcomer kept its finals hopes alive with a 22-18 victory over Sydney Roosters at Carrara yesterday, but an no longer rely on that vocal support.

"Every road trip has been tough for us," said Bailey.

"We know the importance of the games. If you can't play your best for 160 minutes then you might as well not turn up.

"We've got to leave nothing in the tank over the next two weeks."

Bailey was again a stand-out for the Titans in their last match at Carrara before the club shifts base to Skilled Stadium at Robina.

The bullocking prop made 45 tackles, 14 hit-ups and gained 159 metres.

"The support has been great up here," said Bailey about Gold Coast Stadium, where the Titans boast an 8-4 record.

"We need to take that on board, go down to Sydney and come back with a win.

"We might have three or four fans in Sydney. It's going to be a lot harder going down to Melbourne."

Titans halfback Scott Prince denied his team is feeling the heat ahead of away games.

"The way I'm thinking is that no one gave us a shot from the word go," said Prince, who directed play superbly against the Roosters.

"We go away for two road trips and no one will be picking us to win. As far as pressure is concerned we're just going down there to play some football.

"We'll put it all on the line and see what happens."

Coach John Cartwright hopes the Titans can maintain their impressive home record at Skilled Park, but concedes the new stadium - which some claim will be equal in stature to Suncorp Stadium - will be missing an intimidation factor for opposition teams.

"I think sides are going to be really looking forward to playing there as much as Suncorp so we might lose a bit of an edge there," he said.

"But we're really looking to going out there. It'll be great for the side and great for the city."

Bailey said he is expecting "fireworks" against the Sharks, who boast a pack featuring aggressive back-rowers Paul Gallen and Greg Bird.

"They'll go out hard and live up to their reputation," he said.

"We've got a great pack of forwards here but it feels like halfway through the season because we're still gelling.

"A lot of blokes got injured (early this year). We've still got a lot to learn but there's only two weeks left in the competition so it feels pretty weird."

The only injury concern for the Titans is winger Matt Petersen (hamstring), but he should be fit to face the Sharks.

AAP

patskE
20-08-07, 01:57 PM
i would like to see swain dropped for grahman tbh

PROMETHEUS
20-08-07, 03:56 PM
Good to see Bailey try and drum up support in Sydney...

Rage
20-08-07, 04:14 PM
i'm one of the 3 or 4 fans in Sydney :)

Big J
20-08-07, 04:20 PM
Will be doing my best to get out there but to be honest it will be quicker for anyone coming down from QLD to get there then it will be for me!!!!!!!!
Will be doing my best to talk the missus into it with dinner afterwards as a sweetener. And a few celebratory drinks after we cane the sharks of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Titanium_BD1103
20-08-07, 05:47 PM
i'm one of the 3 or 4 fans in Sydney :)

Uh... I think you have underestimated by about 20... The Southern Legion has around 9 or 10 people on average... and I know there are a lot of fans from the Sydney area.. I reckon it's more around 20 ATM and growing... there are some who don't come on here as well...;)

Capital_Shark
20-08-07, 05:58 PM
1 or 2 points either way, hopefully Cronulla's, but who knows. Have to wait and see the team to comment, we've probably lost another 3 if the trend continues, I'm fairly sure Dyke's is gone. Someone else too I think.

eelectrica
20-08-07, 07:10 PM
Titans by 2 :cool:

vanilla
20-08-07, 09:29 PM
titans will take a 1 point lead win with a 75th minute luke bailey 50 metre drop goal, Covell will then have the chance to win the game for the sharks in the last minute with a penalty goal attempt from 30 metres out straight in front of the posts, but like covell usually does when it comes to taking important kicks at goal he choke's and misses it. Titans win

BringBackWillie
20-08-07, 09:36 PM
Uh... I think you have underestimated by about 20... The Southern Legion has around 9 or 10 people on average... and I know there are a lot of fans from the Sydney area.. I reckon it's more around 20 ATM and growing... there are some who don't come on here as well...;)

Under-estimated by both of you - we actually get anywhere between 15-30 at games, plus the randoms... Will need to re-educate Bailey :cry:

PROMETHEUS
20-08-07, 09:58 PM
Under-estimated by both of you - we actually get anywhere between 15-30 at games, plus the randoms... Will need to re-educate Bailey :cry:

I think it may have been a challenge to all Southern Titan fans to get to the game and show their support.:clap:

DIEHARD
20-08-07, 10:20 PM
I'll be there this weekend to cheer on the Titans.

I think we have a very good chance of winning.

Rage
20-08-07, 10:38 PM

lol i know i know
it was just a poor joke in ref to the article :P

altho i didnt see alot of fans at the rabbitohs game

Titanium_BD1103
20-08-07, 11:08 PM

That's cool.. lets hope you can re-educate Bull and myself this weekend by giving the Southern Legion it's biggest attendance this season...:woot:

DIEHARD
20-08-07, 11:20 PM

Yea I reckon!

There was a good number at the Bunnies game, I was impressed.

Chaos
20-08-07, 11:21 PM
Will be doing my best to get out there but to be honest it will be quicker for anyone coming down from QLD to get there then it will be for me!!!!!!!!
Will be doing my best to talk the missus into it with dinner afterwards as a sweetener. And a few celebratory drinks after we cane the sharks of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big J,

I'm going to try my hardest to get down to Shark park this weekend.
You'll have to tell me where your sitting so I can pay you the 2 schooners I owe you.

patskE
21-08-07, 05:35 PM
SHARKS V TITANS
Toyota Park
Saturday, 5.30 PM Fox Sports 3 Live
Sharks
1. Mitch Brown
2. Bryson Goodwin
3. Ben Pomeroy
4. David Simmons
5. Luke Covell
6. Greg Bird
7. Brett Seymour
8. Ben Ross
9. Isaac De Gois
10. Craig Stapleton
11. Reece Williams
12. Luke Douglas
13. Paul Gallen

Interchange:
14. Eddie Su’a
15. Dayne Weston
16. Paul Stephenson
17. Kevin Kingston
18. Cameron Ciraldo

Titans
1. Chris Walker
2. Jake Webster
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Matthew Petersen
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince(c)
8. Luke Bailey(c)
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange:
14. Daniel Conn
15. Ian Donnelly
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Luke O'Dwyer

Titanium_BD1103
21-08-07, 05:36 PM
Thanks Patske.. I was looking for that on the sites, must have just come out... :)

patskE
21-08-07, 05:37 PM
jeez is this like the 1st time we ever had the same team bak to bak?
i rkn our speed will win us this
sharks arent that fast

* yeh went on nrl.com

Titanium_BD1103
21-08-07, 05:38 PM
I think so too... I think if we can stick to our guns and play like we did against the Roosters, we can get the Sharks, and I look forward to being there to witness it... :)

It's great to see the same side 2 weeks in a row... yes it's a first and it's a nice change, shows we are back to near full fitness and raring to go now... :D :D

dee13
21-08-07, 05:44 PM
I so wish Blade could travel with the team.:cry:

Its probably a good thing that I don't... I wouldn't be too popular with the fiance.:argue:

Titanium_BD1103
21-08-07, 05:46 PM
I so wish Blade could travel with the team.:cry:

Its probably a good thing that I don't... I wouldn't be too popular with the fiance.:argue:

I wish you could too, then I could meet Dee and Blade at Shark Park.. you'd be a big hit... :)

Should be a good game though, and I agree, best to keep the fiance on the good side... :D :D

dee13
21-08-07, 05:56 PM
I wish you could too, then I could meet Dee and Blade at Shark Park.. you'd be a big hit... :)

Should be a good game though, and I agree, best to keep the fiance on the good side... :D :D

The Sharks mascots and I would get on well I think. Buck and I had a great time on the sideline together. LOL

Capital_Shark
21-08-07, 06:40 PM
The Sharks mascots and I would get on well I think. Buck and I had a great time on the sideline together. LOL

MC Hammerhead and Mr Sharkie look like good value, your probably right.

Glad to see Taluapapa dropped, he was diabolical last week and I thought Simmo played well at centre, still needs to balls up a bit and run with some determination though. Can't wait to see Bryson Goodwin get a run. His brother has been going well down at the Raiders, hopefully Bryson can do similar good things.

Basically just need Galls or Birdy to drop a good one on Princess(something similar to Birds hit on the Dragon's Morris twin a while back), re-aggravating what Dave Taylor started, and we should be able to be the first ones to snap the winning field goal, provided they don't fart **** around giving Bird and Covell shots, and go straight to Seymour.

eelectrica
21-08-07, 07:28 PM
Good team.
Come on Titans beat the Sharks and keep the finals hopes alive right to the final round and have lets have the finals come a week early.

tom91
21-08-07, 09:14 PM
looks like a great team that sbeen named...tbh i think we should win this comfortably with a team like that....go titans :hissyfit"

DIEHARD
21-08-07, 09:36 PM
I'm delighted to see Preston at 5/8th.

Titanium_BD1103
22-08-07, 11:26 AM
I am too DIEHARD... he will give added spark and playmaking options there... :)

The Ref for this game is Jason Robinson... not sure about whether this game deserved a more experienced ref, but yeah I am sure he will do a good job... ;)

Rage
22-08-07, 04:53 PM
how good would it be to win this week (with no injuries)
imagine:

full strength team heading into final round against Storm with EVERYTHING to play for..

one can dream..

Poida
22-08-07, 05:33 PM
MC Hammerhead and Mr Sharkie look like good value, your probably right.

Glad to see Taluapapa dropped, he was diabolical last week and I thought Simmo played well at centre, still needs to balls up a bit and run with some determination though. Can't wait to see Bryson Goodwin get a run. His brother has been going well down at the Raiders, hopefully Bryson can do similar good things.

Basically just need Galls or Birdy to drop a good one on Princess(something similar to Birds hit on the Dragon's Morris twin a while back), re-aggravating what Dave Taylor started, and we should be able to be the first ones to snap the winning field goal, provided they don't fart **** around giving Bird and Covell shots, and go straight to Seymour.

Wasnt it Seymour who grubbered that field goal shot last weekend?

Capital_Shark
22-08-07, 05:57 PM
Wasnt it Seymour who grubbered that field goal shot last weekend?

Nah, Seymour didn't get a crack. He was in position from an almost identical position to where he snapped the one against Parra and Bird took a crack which ended up more like a misplaced bomb to the wing, then later Covell took a shot (if you can call it that) which was the one that grubbered no where.

Chaos
23-08-07, 12:13 AM
I would rather play a Sharks side with Dykes in 5/8 but they lose a bit in the forwards with Bird in the backs.

I hope the boys can focus on this weeks game and forget about the Storm in 2 weeks.

TITAN FOREVER
23-08-07, 08:06 PM
Heard Bellamy say on News tonight that he may rest some players next week. So if the Titans can get up against the Sharks you never know what might happen next week.

Go the Titans:woot:

bigjim
24-08-07, 11:07 AM
Hate to upset all those disappointed Shark fans out there, but Titans to win by a point. :woot:

That would be some sort of record for the Sharks, wouldn't it. Four weeks and four one point games.:clap:

DIEHARD
24-08-07, 11:12 AM
Heard Bellamy say on News tonight that he may rest some players next week. So if the Titans can get up against the Sharks you never know what might happen next week.

Go the Titans:woot:

I was hoping he'd consider that. Their place is assured and they are deadset blood thirsty to win this year, they have two, they don't want to be minor Premiers two years in a row and come up empty handed.

But even a Storm team with some rested players is going to be very dangerous.

Please rest Cam Smith, Cooper Cronk, Greg Inglis, Billy Slater and Israel Folau...

But the Titans have a real chance of the Finals here.

Chaos
24-08-07, 06:00 PM
If I was Bellamy...I'd be resting Cam Smith.
I'd only use him if I was scared to play the Titans in the first Semi.

PROMETHEUS
24-08-07, 08:58 PM
Link to Rogers interview on official NRL site..

http://nrl.com.au/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/6751/Default.aspx

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 05:19 PM
Titans by 8 points.

Rage
25-08-07, 05:22 PM
about to start :)

Queenslander
25-08-07, 05:49 PM
8th Minute: Luke Covell scores

Sharks 4 Titans 0

Rage
25-08-07, 05:54 PM
8 minute try to Luke Covell

Boofhead
25-08-07, 06:02 PM
:dummyspit:

Not happy with the Ref...

Rage
25-08-07, 06:06 PM
:dummyspit:

Not happy with the Ref...

6 penalties for Sharks compared to 2 for Titans... :dummyspit:

Boofhead
25-08-07, 06:10 PM
Stop the bloody penalties...

on that note... TRY!

10/6

Rage
25-08-07, 06:12 PM
finally a try to the titans..

Rage
25-08-07, 06:24 PM
Halftime:
Sharks : 10 Titans: 6

Need to fire up to win

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 06:28 PM
Not a very inspiring first half..
Thought i was watching a game of union,the amount of penalties blown! :nope:
Gotta say,the sharks dont look very exciting in attack,a decent side with the penalties given would be further ahead at this stage.
Looks like Donnelly wont be facing up against his old team next week.

Rage
25-08-07, 06:47 PM
16 - 6 to Sharks..

gonna be very hard to get the win now....

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 06:47 PM
Soft try to cronulla...
16-6

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 06:57 PM
Intercept try to cronulla,bye bye finals..
22-6 :hissyfit"

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 07:04 PM
Welcome back Rogers!
22-12

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 07:16 PM
Another soft try..:mad:
28-12

Cowboy Titan
25-08-07, 07:17 PM
Commiserations for tonight but CONGRATULATIONS to the TITANS on a fantastic debut year.

We all have so many memories and so much to hope for in the future.

Bring on 2008 at Skilled Park.

eelectrica
25-08-07, 07:20 PM
Disapointing way to officially bow out of the finals race.
Sharks played well in defence as they've done all season.
I just wish the ref had have gone to the video ref on the Sharks intercept try and checked for offside.

Well done Titans though on the season, they'll be better next year and really give the 8 a shake.

kwigibo
25-08-07, 07:21 PM
A horrible game. How can such a whistle happy ref can let go so much crap go around the play the ball? Even in a non-partisan way, atrocious reffing like that just makes for ugly football, he should be fired for making the sport less appealing.

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 07:23 PM
I just wish the ref had have gone to the video ref on the Sharks intercept try and checked for offside.

It was that type of game,every dodgy call went to the sharks..the only try checked by the video ref was a Titans one,and it was a clear cut try!:mad:

Rage
25-08-07, 07:27 PM
very disappointing game and way to lose the season..

eelectrica
25-08-07, 07:27 PM
It was that type of game,every dodgy call went to the sharks..the only try checked by the video ref was a Titans one,and it was a clear cut try!:mad:

Yeah, hate to blame the ref after a loss, but Robinson really had it in for the Titans right from the opening whistle giving the Sharks all the 50/50 calls.

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 07:30 PM
Our completion rate didnt help,27/41 equals 67% which wont win many games.
Im feeling frustated at the moment,can only imagine how the boys feel.
COME ON GUYS,FLOG MELBOURNE NEXT WEEK!

Coaster
25-08-07, 07:38 PM
Bird should be suspended, for that crap he pulled in the ingoal.

That ref should never get within 200 meters from me, i will smack that barsted so hard.

Friend was outstanding.

The rest of them were average and faulted when it mattered most.

Great season, average finish

PS, Carty needs to refrase the way he speaks.
Why say "As soon as we put some points on them they wil think about the off season"

Once you put a thought into a players head that will do it, consious or unconsiosly, dont say we shouldnt drop the ball, becuase all they hear is "we shouldnt drop the ball"

Cartright has had a good season, but he like the rest of the team, tripped tonight with the goal line in sight. Thats poor metal management.

Boofhead
25-08-07, 07:44 PM
All I can say is.

Bring on 2008!

Other than that, lets see how we run against the competition front runners!

Bird should be suspended, for that crap he pulled in the ingoal.

That ref should never get within 200 meters from me, i will smack that barsted so hard.

I couldn't put it any better Coaster...

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 07:50 PM
Agree,Bird was carrying on like a little biatch,he was carrying on BEFORE the alledged high shot..easy way to get out of a line drop out.:argue: :mad:

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately it was the Titans, but finally great to see Cronulla ruin the season of someone other than themselves.

Ref was appalling. Foul play around the head from both sides and he should have put a stop to it in the first half with someone having a spell. We got the rub of the green, can understand Titans fans being frustrated but its a nice change for me to see it go our way after 24 weeks. But thats footy.

You might have a whinge about Bird, but fact of the matter is Donnelly went in with the only actual grapple of the game, even though a half dozen were called, and got penalised. Had he kept the tackle down it wouldn't matter what Bird did.

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 08:10 PM
The tackle after Bird "earnt" the penalty,a cronulla player threw his head back and carried on in the next tackle looking for a high shot penalty..i guess if it works once...:duh:

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 08:12 PM
The tackle after Bird "earnt" the penalty,a cronulla player threw his head back and carried on in the next tackle looking for a high shot penalty..i guess if it works once...:duh:

Did he get it?

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 08:18 PM
No,but the point im trying to make is the player realised the ref was a soft touch and tried to get another cheap penalty.

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 08:26 PM
No,but the point im trying to make is the player realised the ref was a soft touch and tried to get another cheap penalty.

I think I remember the incident your talking about, and your right. But really the ref set the platform that he was unlikely to do much more than penalise, but was a soft touch for work above the shoulders, so any contact high was well worth a pleading look at the ref. Same as anytime theres been a few penalties for laying around the play the ball, the dummy half will always throw his hands in the air looking for a leg up.

Panthers Wolf
25-08-07, 09:03 PM
Yep, Ian's grapple was there for all to see. But he hella made up for it with his try.
The boys will be deeply disappointed with this loss/ Still, this being their first year in the league I think they can feel good about their efforts. We just have to get better at way games. Maybe they don't travel well or need a different arrival day.

Coaster
25-08-07, 09:05 PM
We just have to get better at way games. Maybe they don't travel well or need a different arrival day.

Cant blame them really, i have been around the world 5 times, and i just cant wait to come back to the GC.

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 09:38 PM
http://i9.tinypic.com/4vmyl93.jpg
:woot::woot::woot::clap::clap::clap:

Titanium_BD1103
25-08-07, 10:20 PM
What can I say about the game but... we let it get away... too many penalties for at times was really silly things, a lot of offside play and holding the man down.

Bird is a Sook... sorry to say it.. but in this instance he was... he milked that and yes Donnelly got him high, but the fact he stayed down had us all furious on the opposite side of the field and screaming it.

The boys have given a great effort this season, but tonight was just not to be... as I said at the end of the game at Toyota, you win some, you lose some... and the Sharks were just better at capitalising on opportunities.

The turning point had to be the try to Simmons though.... that broke the camels back to say the least and had it not occured, we might have clawed back.

Overall though, it was a case of missed opportunties early coming back to bite and well done to the Sharks, although I reckon a trip to Canberra might be a tough ask.

As for us, it's been a good season... well done Boys on giving it your all, never giving up and always having pride... it's been a joy to watch you and all the best against Melbourne, even though you need to win by 50 to get the 8th spot... :(

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 10:31 PM
:woot::woot::woot::clap::clap::clap:

How does it feel,40 years and nothing to show?
:woot: :woot: :woot: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 10:36 PM
How does it feel,40 years and nothing to show?
:woot: :woot: :woot: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excuse me? Amco Cup brother, the only one that matters!

Titanium_BD1103
Quote from Luke Bailey:

"We might have three or four fans in Sydney. It's going to be a lot harder going down to Melbourne."

AAP

Well everyone, just to tell you that tonight we made Bull take a photo with the Southern Legion to prove that there was more than 3-4 fans.. there are actually from memory 7 in the photo and hopefully it will be up soon.... there were I think 9 to support plus a few Titans fans throughout other areas of the ground during the game.... :)

PROMETHEUS
Touche!
:p

jenny
25-08-07, 10:39 PM
Well everyone, just to tell you that tonight we made Bull take a photo with the Southern Legion to prove that there was more than 3-4 fans.....TJ
He's my favourite TJ...as you know ;)

Titanium_BD1103
25-08-07, 10:45 PM
He's my favourite TJ...as you know ;)

He's a totally legend Jenny... he led the side proudly tonight and he was a good sport about us wanting to show him there are more than 4 fans in the Southern Legion.... :)

I just want to say congrats to all the players too.. such great sports, every single player who came out of the dressing rooms after the loss even though they were very disappointed signed autographs, were there to take photos, were happy to say a few words and just they were there for the fans.. it's great to see and the youngsters who were there, and us slightly older fans, and the adults were all very happy it occured... as it made the day just that little bit more enjoyable.. :D :D

Full kudos to Chris Walker in particular, who waved to the fans from the dressing rooms, then came out, signed autographs and took photos, headed back for the team bus and then came back when more people came up to him as he was headed asking for autographs.. he then came back through the gate into the area where all the fans were milling and spent another 10 mins signing things and taking pictures... totally a true class act... :clap:

Locky24
25-08-07, 10:48 PM
Woot Go the Sharks!!!!!!! puts an end to the titans season woot woot

Steel Dragon
25-08-07, 10:48 PM
Crapola. Melbourne win, Titans Lose, Penrith win (puts the Dragons in spoon danger), Sydney lose to Collingwood, Lions lose, Sydney FC lose, Easts out of Qld Cup thanks to a ring-in playing for Ipswich (Josh Lewis - sounds like the Titans could have used him), and Manchester United look like putting together the worst title defence in history. I hate football right now. :cry:

Jason

Titanium_BD1103
25-08-07, 10:50 PM
Crapola. Melbourne win, Titans Lose, Penrith win (puts the Dragons in spoon danger), Sydney lose to Collingwood, Lions lose, Sydney FC lose, Easts out of Qld Cup thanks to a ring-in playing for Ipswich (Josh Lewis - sounds like the Titans could have used him), and Manchester United look like putting together the worst title defence in history. I hate football right now. :cry:

Jason

Yep Jase... it hasn't been a great weekend for me either... every single team I go for has lost so far...:cry:

Sydney FC, Bulldogs, GC Titans, Sydney Swans- all lost.

All I need now is for Leicester City and Western Sydney Rams to lose and my weekend of misery in sport will be complete...:(

Coaster
25-08-07, 11:03 PM
Proof Bird is faking it

Not a hand on him

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/coasterphotos15/Bird.jpg

jenny
25-08-07, 11:03 PM
:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: LMAO

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 11:16 PM
Proof Bird is faking it

Not a hand on him

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/coasterphotos15/Bird.jpg

Proof it doesn't matter:

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 11:19 PM

Looks like Bird is playing for the Penalty..pity its his own player touching him.

Steelers
25-08-07, 11:21 PM
Now why can't this happen after every match... I am laughing uncontrollably at the blows being dealt tonight :p

Coaster
25-08-07, 11:25 PM
Now why can't this happen after every match... I am laughing uncontrollably at the blows being dealt tonight :p

I think the pressure vaulve just released..

We have had a good season, we are in the fight.

This is what we all wanted deep down, just a chance.

Doesnt stop Bird from being a grubby little turd that cheated when there was no reason to, heheh

Capital_Shark
25-08-07, 11:29 PM
Looks like Bird is playing for the Penalty..pity its his own player touching him.

No arm around the neck though. Donnelly could learn a thing or two.

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 11:34 PM
No arm around the neck though. Donnelly could learn a thing or two.

Yeah,thats why hes pointing at the back of his head..."No,no,the arm goes here.."

jenny
25-08-07, 11:35 PM
Yeah,thats why hes pointing at the back of his head..."No,no,the arm goes here.."

:rolf:

jenny
25-08-07, 11:36 PM
Sharks end Titans' finals charge

Gold Coast's brave charge towards the NRL finals came to a sputtering halt tonight, the Titans turning in one of the worst performances of their debut season in going down 28-12 to Cronulla at Toyota Park.

Needing a win to keep their top eight hopes alive, the Titans were out-enthused and out-played by a Sharks side with little but pride on the line.

Never was the Titans' lack of desperation more evident than just after the halftime break, when trailing 10-6, they allowed Kevin Kingston to skirt over from dummy half for the softest of four-pointers.

Their faces as they gathered in the in-goal to await the conversion told the story and it was no surprise when David Simmons reeled in a Scott Prince pass before running 95 metres for a 22-6 lead after 58 minutes.

Gold Coast threatened a late comeback when former Shark Mat Rogers cut the gap to just 10 with 15 minutes remaining.

But errors again dogged the visitors with interchange utility Paul Stephenson putting them out of their misery when he burst through four tackles to score three minutes from time.

The first half was one to gorget, the ball spending more time on the deck and being kicked into the grandstand following a penalty as referee Jason Robinson went on a one man crusade to rid the game of the grapple tackle.

The home side had the best of the early play on the back of three successive penalties and made their field position count for something when Luke Covell gathered in a Greg Bird cross-field kick for a 4-0 lead.

The Titans, namely Rogers, had only themselves to blame as they dug themselves into a deeper hole with the dual international dragged into touch 10 metres out from his own line as he darted down the blind side.

Sharks fullback Mitch Brown took the ball from base of the ensuing scrum before finding Bird, the NSW Origin pivot crashing through three Titans defenders for a 10-0 lead.

Titans prop Ian Donnelly, who beat a grapple tackle charge at the judiciary just three weeks ago, may find himself bound for NRL headquarters again after he was placed on report for the same offence, the former Melbourne hard man collaring Bird as he trapped him in his own in-goal.

Donnelly got some measure of revenge when he sliced through on the half hour to make it 10-6 at the break.

CRONULLA 28 (G Bird L Covell K Kingston D Simmons P Stephenson tries L Covell 4 goals) bt GOLD COAST 12 (I Donnelly M Rogers tries P Campbell B Delaney goals) at Toyota Park. Referee: J Robinson. Crowd: 9,036.

AAP

Poida
25-08-07, 11:37 PM
I hope Titans knock Melbourne off their block and bring them crashing back to earth. I want at least one QLD side to go up against them and come back a winner. Cowboys got bashed by them. Want Titans to smash them :)

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 11:39 PM
Was that an unbiased article,or what?

Super Cronk
25-08-07, 11:39 PM
I hope Titans knock Melbourne off their block and bring them crashing back to earth. I want at least one QLD side to go up against them and come back a winner. Cowboys got bashed by them. Want Titans to smash them :)

NEVER!

Its in melbourne, so if the titans do win it will be an awesome effort.

Coaster
25-08-07, 11:40 PM
NEVER!

14 start and 2 grey ghosts riding on this game.

CARN TITIEES

Poida
25-08-07, 11:40 PM
NEVER!

Of course :p. Anyone who wins there has done friggin well

Super Cronk
25-08-07, 11:41 PM
I say we get a sig bet going on this game then, anyone up for it?

jenny
25-08-07, 11:41 PM
Cartwright accused of sour grapes

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright was accused of sour grapes after the rookie mentor took aim at everyone bar his own players following the Titans' 28-12 NRL capitulation to Cronulla.

Cartwright was fuming after watching the Titans throw away their campaign, the first year club now no chance of making the finals following one of their most insipid displays of the season.

Needing a win to keep their top eight hopes alive, the Titans were out-enthused and out-played by a Sharks side with little but pride on the line.

But still Cartwright found little fault in his side and plenty in the referee and even the opposition, accusing Sharks five-eighth Greg Bird of lying down to attract a penalty late in the first half.

The incident occurred with the Sharks leading 10-0 after tries to Bird and Luke Covell, Bird then left lying in his own in-goal after Titans prop Ian Donnelly appeared to collect him around the neck.

"That was a dead set grapple tackle and a head slam as well from where I was standing," Sharks skipper Paul Gallen said.

Asked what his thoughts on the tackle were, Cartwright said:

"Is that the one where Bird lied down ... there's nothing wrong with Greg Bird."

But Bird hit back, labelling Cartwright a sore loser.

"All I remember is I woke up on the ground with a click in my jaw," the NSW Origin five-eighth said.

"I don't even remember it, all I remember is there was a collision with my head.

"Everyone's got their opinion, if he thought I was laying down, it's probably just sour grapes over the loss."

Fans could have been mistaken for thinking it was the Sharks with their season on the line such was the difference in intensity between the sides.

Never was the Titans' lack of desperation more evident than just after the halftime break when, trailing 10-6, they allowed Kevin Kingston to skirt over from dummy half for the softest of four-pointers.

Their faces as they gathered in the in-goal to await the conversion told the story and it was no surprise when David Simmons reeled in a Scott Prince pass before running 95 metres for a 22-6 lead after 58 minutes.

Gold Coast threatened a late comeback when former Shark Mat Rogers cut the gap to just 10 points with 15 minutes remaining, but errors again dogged the visitors.

Interchange utility Paul Stephenson then put the Gold Coast out of their misery when he burst through four tackles to score three minutes from time.

But still Cartwright took out his frustrations on anyone not wearing a Titans jumper.

"We couldn't seem to buy a penalty in the areas we were getting penalised," Cartwright said.

"I thought he should have gone to the video referee for the intercept try which really won them the game - replays showed that three players were well offside."

Prince, who pleaded with the referee to go upstairs for adjudication on the Simmons try, said he felt like he was running a losing battle with the referee all night.

"I guess that's what home ground advantage is all about," Prince said.

"Nothing seemed to go our way and we were pushing **** uphill I guess.

"We're all shattered, I guess she's all over.

"We've got one game left but this was the game tonight that we had to win to keep our season alive."

? 2007 AAP

PROMETHEUS
25-08-07, 11:42 PM
If the right results line up,we can finish equal 8th..not bad for first year.
(Gotta keep optimistic!:woot: )

Coaster
25-08-07, 11:46 PM
Glad to see they seen the same thing the rest of the world seen.

Whole game was a joke Robinson was pathetic....

Ill take that bet Cronk..

Sig bet nps

Super Cronk
25-08-07, 11:47 PM
nps?

Coaster
25-08-07, 11:54 PM
nps?

No problems

Super Cronk
25-08-07, 11:55 PM
No problems

Sweet. one week the loser has to wear opposite sides logo.:)

Coaster
25-08-07, 11:56 PM
Sweet. one week the loser has to wear opposite sides logo.:)

Nope 1 week the loser has to have a signature from the other, any design

Super Cronk
25-08-07, 11:57 PM
ummm....i dunno about that. it has to be league related.

Coaster
25-08-07, 11:58 PM
ummm....i dunno about that. it has to be league related.

Sure, has to be related to your team

Super Cronk
26-08-07, 12:01 AM
rightio. i dont have photoshop anymore...so ill have to do one in paint or something.

Coaster
26-08-07, 12:04 AM
Ok cool..

We on

Im off to watch the challenge cup

Steve
26-08-07, 03:11 AM
Probably the worst reffing i've seen all season.
And with the utter crap we see in most games, that says a lot.
He'd penalise the Titans for going high, then when the Sharks do it, not a thing.

Donnelley's tackle wasn't that bad. What got Bird was Petersen's knee as he fell. Completely accidental.

Still, bad reffing is a part of the game, you gotta be able to win against it, as hard as it is.
If we couldn't down the Sharks tonight, we had no chance in the finals anyhow.

That said, if I was the paranoid type, I'd be feeling a bit like Kirk Reynoldson right about now. ;)

Titanium_BD1103
26-08-07, 09:01 AM
Ok cool..

We on

Im off to watch the challenge cup

Coaster and Cronk... Don't worry about the making of the signatures, I'll do that for you this week, I have CS2 now and a fair amount of time... just worry about the bet... :p

jenny
26-08-07, 12:27 PM
Cartwright saves reflection for later

By Steve Jancetic
August 26, 2007

SUCCESS or failure? Gold Coast coach John Cartwright was in no mood last night to sum up his side's inaugural NRL campaign.

The Titans bowed out of the race for the finals with a 28-12 loss to Cronulla at Toyota Park, Gold Coast saving one of its worst performances of the season for a night when it least needed it.

It now heads to Melbourne to take on the minor premiers in the final game of the regular season, Cartwright knocking back the opportunity to look back at his side's first year in the big time.

"It's probably not a good time to reflect to be honest - it's too disappointing," he said.

That disappointment would not have stemmed just from the loss, but also the manner in which it was achieved. The Sharks had little to play for but competed like their lives depended on it. The Titans just didn't seem up for it, through Cartwright said he couldn't fault the effort.

"There was a game there to be won - I don't consider it a lack of performance, I definitely don't consider it lack of effort," Cartwright said.

"We were a little bit down technically at certain stages but lack of performance, no, I wouldn't call it that."

It was tough to find a Titan willing to acknowledge the season, in which they have already won ten games and stayed in the hunt for the top eight until the penultimate round, had been a success.

Many critics tipped them to win the wooden spoon, claiming their lack of depth would come back to hurt them late in the season.

The Titans just kept battling away, surviving the loss of halves Scott Prince and Preston Campbell at crucial periods to keep pace with the top eight.

But the realisation that it was all over hit hard last night, backrower Mark Minichiello cutting a distraught figure in the dressing room after the game.

"As a group of players and as a club, we knew we were good enough to make the semis and go on from there - we really believed that," Minichiello said.

"People will say we've had a good year because we just missed the eight, but we thought we were good enough to be in there.

"There's not much you can say - when you've got it all riding on the line and you play like that and it just doesn't turn out the way you want - it's just so disappointing."

AAP

PROMETHEUS
27-08-07, 09:40 PM
Ian Donnelly free to play,seems his grapple tackle wasnt..makes Bird look like a Goose :mad:

(From NRL.COM)
No charges from NRL match review
Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:59 PM

The NRL match review committee has not laid any charges following the round 24 football action last weekend.

The news will be welcomed by Manly prop Jason King who was put on report for a high tackle during the Sea Eagles loss to New Zealand Warriors.

"Personally I didn't think there was much in it," said King on arrival to Sydney airport.

"I was pretty surprised when the guy got injured and surprised I got called out but they'll have a good look at it and hopefully I have nothing to worry about it."

Bulldogs forward Sonny Bill Williams, Melbourne centre Anthony Quinn and Gold Coast prop Ian Donnelly all escaped grapple tackle charges despite being penalised as part of the NRL crackdown at the weekend.

Source: AAP

jenny
28-08-07, 08:50 AM
Prince re-lives heartbreaking intercept pass

Luke Turgeon

TITANS co-captain Scott Prince yesterday re-lived the moment he threw the heartbreaking intercept pass that sunk the Gold Coast's season in Cronulla on Saturday night.

The Gold Coast halfback blasted referee Jason Robinson for not going to the video after Sharks centre David Simmons plucked his pass out of the air and sprinted 95m to score in the 60th minute.

The try came at a crucial time in the match, when it appeared the Titans were working their way back into the game after wrestling back some of the Sharks early momentum.

Prince maintains Simmons was offside when he took the intercept but stopped short of blaming Robinson -- who blew several questionable calls throughout the encounter -- for the 28-12 loss.

"The one that really sticks out for me is that one where they didn't go to the video ref," said Prince. "Every other try they did, so that is disappointing.

"I thought he was offside."

Titans coach John Cartwright was also fuming over the referee's performance while club managing director Michael Searle lodged a complaint to NRL chief executive David Gallop.

"We couldn't buy a penalty in areas we were penalised," said Cartwright.

"I thought he should have gone to the video referee for the intercept try, which really won them the game -- replays showed three players were well offside."

Searle likened the scene in the dressing sheds after the match to a team that had lost the grand final. "It was sombre," said Searle. "Most of the guys were reflecting.

"It was probably the first time we allowed ourselves not to dream about making the eight. It was a difficult moment."

Prince, who joined his teammates for a recovery session at Miami pool yesterday, said it was important the Titans finished on a high note against the form side.

"I have always said that the first year is going to be the hardest," said Prince.

"Now we have to look to the future and work hard on the things we need to work hard on and build on the things we are good at."
GC Bulletin

Supergoose
28-08-07, 10:54 PM
I'm glad it wasn't just me screaming at the television and swearing at Jason Robinson. That was probably the most lopsided adjudication of a match I have seen all season. I've seen poor refereeing performances but the decisions go both ways. Robinson seemed to be playing two different sets of rules. Not sure what he has against the Titans, but I felt more one-eyed than usual watching this game. It was like the sides during the rest of this season had switched jerseys with the saintly Titans being painted as ill-disciplined thugs and the dirty Sharks players all of a sudden becoming saints. Maybe he's just a spineless weasel who refs a good home game.

I haven't been this scathing of a refereeing performance since Bill Harrigan's brain explosion in Origin when he sent Tallis off after Bill made 2 or 3 obvious errors against Qld. Being a cricket umpire I generally have sympathy for the bloke in the middle but this game was a joke!

ewrwghf
21-11-08, 02:34 AM
titans will take a 1 point lead win with a 75th minute luke bailey 50 metre drop goal, Covell will then have the chance to win the game for the sharks in the last minute with a penalty goal attempt from 30 metres out straight in front of the posts, but like covell usually does when it comes to taking important kicks at goal he choke's and misses it. Titans win

i think you are so good , and you do the best , and i appreciate you

GCT_89
21-11-08, 08:39 AM
i think you are so good , and you do the best , and i appreciate you

dude, wtf?

that threads like ancient......

over a year old..........

Ryan
21-11-08, 10:37 AM
dude, wtf?

that threads like ancient......

over a year old..........