PDA

View Full Version : Dragons: we won't breach cap

Teegy
15-11-05, 09:45 AM
By JEFF DUNNE

November 15, 2005
ST GEORGE Illawarra chairman Warren Lockwood has declared the club will not breach the salary cap next season regardless of what happens to veteran forward Lance Thompson.

Thompson must front the Dragons board today to show cause why he should not be cut from the club.

He has been accused of sending threatening text messages to teammate Justin Poore.

The Thompson case has caused tension in the Dragons camp with supporters split on the push to get rid of such a long serving and loyal player.

There have been suggestions from those opposed to the Thompson sacking that the case is linked to the club's salary cap problems for next season.

The Dragons have already forecast they will be over the cap unless they release a number of players.

When asked if the case was related in anyway at all to the issue, Lockwood gave a strong denial.

"No not at all. We will manage the salary cap regardless of the outcome of the Lance Thompson case," Lockwood said.

"Ever since my association with the club, which is 20 years with St George and seven years with the joint venture, we have never broken the salary cap.

"We had a minor offence in the second tier (last year) and that was it. We will not breach the salary cap regardless of what happens to Lance."

Lockwood did not want to comment on issues raised by Thompson's lawyer Chris Murphy in The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

Murphy has threatened to take the case to court if Thompson is sacked and he also questioned Dragons chief executive Peter Doust's right to sit on the board and hear the case.

Murphy claimed Doust's strong criticism of Thompson in the press for walking out on the club's awards was a problem.

"Mr Doust should sit out considering the bias press comments he has made," Murphy said.

Lockwood said there had been no discussion of that taking place.

Doust did not want to comment on the matter last night.

Titanium_BD1103
15-11-05, 10:37 AM
Explain to me how they won't breach the cap if they keep Thompson.. they are already allegedly 300 000 over the cap... keeping Thompson.. signing Price.. they will have to get rid of a lot of players before the start of the 06 season to be under the cap in 06...

I just hope that it doesn't end up another Bulldogs scandal.. as I'd hate any club to have to go through what my beloved Bulldogs had to go through.. :(

Who do you reckon they will release if they keep Thompson.. ;)

Teegy
15-11-05, 10:39 AM
Explain to me how they won't breach the cap if they keep Thompson.. they are already allegedly 300 000 over the cap... keeping Thompson.. signing Price.. they will have to get rid of a lot of players before the start of the 06 season to be under the cap in 06...

I just hope that it doesn't end up another Bulldogs scandal.. as I'd hate any club to have to go through what my beloved Bulldogs had to go through.. :(

Who do you reckon they will release if they keep Thompson.. ;)
I haven't heard that they were that much over. we are in bad shape

Titanium_BD1103
15-11-05, 12:18 PM
Yeah it was in Sydney Papers a month back, it is somewhere between $250 000-300 000 and therefore they would have to release 3 players to get it under.. yeah so with signing Price and if they keep Thompson.. expect to see a mass exodus in 2006 and a serious problem...

Oh well perhaps we can get some of the Dragons players.. there are some good players there.. :)

Research Station Drive
15-11-05, 02:06 PM
Bulldog Titan - I'm not sure that those figures are entirely accurate.

I think we were slightly over, we're now taking the opportunity to free up some space to put us in a better position for next year.

ie - giving some players upgrades now to pay them less on their next contract.

*speculation disclaimer*

Teegy
15-11-05, 02:07 PM
Dean Young would Be Number 1 to sign and then Ben Creagh. both superstars and their contracts are up end of this next season

Dakink
16-11-05, 12:34 PM
And if Head leaves there will be some more room for the cap. Ennis gone to.

Research Station Drive
16-11-05, 02:27 PM
Teegy - I agree those two are must signs. Young is a potential long term captain. Creagh could be one of the best backrowers ever seen.
But what about Coops and Gasnier? Geez I don't envy Peter Doust this season.

DaKink - Nobody knows the Dragons salary cap position at the moment, and we wont know until October when they have to lodge their statement. Timmins deciding to stay has put us in some difficulty, losing Ennis relieves some pressure. I can't see Head leaving.

Super Cronk
16-11-05, 02:56 PM
Dragons prolly wishing they had kept brett white who has proven to be a damn good player...who is only going to improve. He would have done as a nicely replacment for thommo.

Research Station Drive
16-11-05, 03:05 PM
Nah I'd rather what we've got then Brett White. He is a solid player though.