PDA

View Full Version : Walker 'deserves another go' at Titans

Tamwelg
02-08-07, 07:16 PM
Source: www.leaguehq.com.au

Walker 'deserves another go' at Titans

August 2, 2007 - 6:04PM

A hamstring injury has dealt a big blow to Chris Walker's campaign for a 2008 NRL contract but his senior team-mates want Gold Coast officials to sign him up immediately.

Walker has been ruled out of the Titans' must-win clash with Wests Tigers on Saturday night at Carrara.

He broke down at training on Wednesday and despite intensive physiotherapy, will not be fit to play the Tigers.

Titans officials say Walker will be reassessed before they decide whether he'll make the trip to Auckland for next week's clash with the New Zealand Warriors.

In the lead-up to Gold Coast's match against South Sydney last weekend, Titans managing director Michael Searle said Walker had six matches to prove he deserved another chance with the club after he was nearly sacked in April following an alcohol-related incident at a nightclub.

Walker, who has played just three NRL matches this year, will have even less time to impress coach John Cartwright following his latest setback.

But it seems the controversial former Queensland State of Origin flyer has won back the faith of his team-mates after his rehabilitation for alcohol problems and a lengthy banishment to the state league.

"He's obviously stuffed up in the past but he's done the time now," said Titans halfback Scott Prince, who will return from a collarbone injury against his old club Wests Tigers.

"He has done everything required to get back in the squad and now it's just up to the officials to sort something out.

"From a player's point of view we'd like to have Chris Walker again for the next year or two."

Titans co-captain Luke Bailey said he expected Walker to "slow down" after his partner, hairdresser Courtney Hammond, gives birth to their first child.

"If he needs an excuse not to get on the piss or not go out and be a wild child like he has been, then he's a got a kid," Bailey said.

"I think it'll hit him then that life slows down and it's probably best for his footy."

Bailey said Walker had shown plenty of character in fighting his way back into first-grade, despite the crippling injury toll at the Titans.

"He could've have just said `f*** it' and had a few beers or messed up," Bailey remarked.

"People have said he might have had another chance down the track but I think he thought it was his last chance.

"I spoke to him a couple of times during rehab and he was pretty depressed and pretty unhappy with himself.

"He's certainly held his own the last couple of games.

"I'm all for him getting another contract but that's up to the coaches, not myself."

The loss of Walker is a bitter blow to the Titans, who have lost their past five matches and must win four out of their past five games to secure a finals spot.

Preston Campbell will move to fullback and axed five-eighth Josh Lewis will be given a chance to redeem himself.

Campbell also came out in support of Walker.

"He's one of the best trainers at the club and that's because he's naturally an athlete," Campbell said.

"He's enthusiastic and he's trying hard on the things he has to work on.

"I reckon he does deserve to hang around."

? 2007 AAP
Brought to you by aap

Blunt_Beno
02-08-07, 09:47 PM
i think he should stay also

Titantones
02-08-07, 11:12 PM
He will always be seen as the first try scorer for the Titans, I watched some of the first game the other day and it was exciting to see that try again.
At his best he is a real promotional asset for the club. Last weeks effort was first class it was a shame he didnt get a win to match his performance.
He has come along way and i think he deserves another year at least.

jenny
03-08-07, 07:40 AM
Walker may be out for season
Luke Turgeon

03Aug07

CHRIS Walker's season could be over after scans yesterday revealed the former Queensland Origin flyer has a torn hamstring.

The controversial Titans star broke down during a routine backline drill at training on Wednesday and was sent for an MRI in Brisbane.

After initially hoping he would be right to take on Wests Tigers at Gold Coast Stadium tomorrow, Walker was yesterday faced with the prospect of spending four to six weeks on the sidelines.

Walker was to start at fullback for the Titans after showing signs of being back to his dangerous best following a lengthy in-house ban for an alcohol related incident earlier this year.

The injury also throws a cloud of uncertainty over Walker's future with the Titans.

It is understood he needed to impress Titans coach John Cartwright with his on-field performances over the remaining rounds in order to secure a new deal for 2008.

"I can't comment on that at the moment," said Cartwright. "We are still in this season and we will get through this season and then worry about that when the season is over."

Walker's injury is believed to be similar to the one suffered by Broncos centre Justin Hodges during Brisbane's thrilling 19-18 golden point win over the Titans in round 17.

Hodges will make his comeback this weekend against the Sea Eagles after four weeks in rehab.

There are just four weeks left in the regular season.

Cartwright was hopeful Walker would be back before the end of the season.

"He has torn his hammy so he is out this week," said Cartwright.

"It is going to be a week by week thing."

Experienced livewire Preston Campbell will return to fullback for the clash with the Tigers, while Josh Lewis has been called back into the side at five-eighth.

"He (Walker) was there (at fullback) because we thought he was the best player for the position," said Cartwright. "So we obviously lose a bit.

"But Josh was sent back to Ipswich (in the Queensland Cup) and now he is back again, so I am sure he will aim up. I think Preston is back to where he was before he hurt his knee."

Cartwright said he did not consider shifting Mat Rogers to fullback and Luke O'Dwyer to the centres to keep his preferred halves partnership of Prince and Campbell in tact.

"Prince and Lewis know each other's games and Preston has played fullback all year," said Cartwright. So that is the safest option."

Wests Tigers centre Paul Whatuira yesterday pulled out of the match after still feelings the affects of a concussion suffered during Monday night's thumping of the Cowboys.
GOLD COAST BULLETIN

DIEHARD
03-08-07, 10:12 AM
I feel really sorry for Chris. He has had maybe the toughest season of his life.

He only just returned to the field and he goes down injured...at training.

I pray he isn't out for the season and gets another opportunity to prove himself in 2007.

I hope the club retains him, I really would enjoy seeing Chris as a regular first grader for the Titans.

patskE
03-08-07, 01:16 PM
hopefully we see a young kid given a go at fullback now

Capital_Shark
03-08-07, 01:31 PM
Jeeze, not looking good for Walker. If he doesn't play again this year, and manages to get a contract for 2008, that'd be an effort. I'd shout him a beer.

patskE
03-08-07, 01:39 PM
man i would give him another chance

squirrell
03-08-07, 11:22 PM
hard to convice the knockers on the basis of 3 games out of a whole season but i saw in in the trials pre season then at suncorp against the dragons,and id rather have chris on our team than against us.He does deserve a contract based on his efforts since the melbas thing, and everyone says he trains the house down.he'll shine in 08 and he may even be a origin bolter..good luck mate

PROMETHEUS
08-08-07, 09:16 PM
As has been posted earlier,he and his partner are expecting a child which will no doubt sharpen his focus even more and ensure he has the right priorities in mind..we could only benefit from his hunger and experience next year!