PDA

View Full Version : Brave Titans inspire Choppy

Queenslander
29-07-07, 08:51 AM
Brave Titans inspire Choppy

Greg Davis

July 29, 2007 12:00am

THE Gold Coast's return to rugby league's big time must be considered a success even if the Titans fade from finals contention.

That's the view of foundation Gold Coast Giants player Chris Close, who says John Cartwright's men can be proud of their efforts this year despite a late-season stumble.

The Gold Coast took a four-match losing streak into last night's clash with Souths at Telstra Stadium and face a titanic task to qualify for the playoffs, needing at least four wins from their last six games.

The Titans have spent more than their fair share of time in the top eight ? rising to as high as fourth ? but have buckled under the competition's worst injury toll.

Close ? who played 50 games for the Coast from 1988 to 1991 ? said the Gold Coast had battled manfully through the horror injury run and that determination would hold the club in good stead in years to come.

"I think when Johnny Cartwright sits down to review the season he can only think it's been a success given what the side has been up against with all the injuries," Close said.

"I said at the start of the year that if the Titans won as many games as they lost it would be a overwhelming success and they are not far off that mark now (the Titans were 8-10 before last night). The injuries have hit them hard at the worst possible time but that doesn't mean they can't finish off the year really well.

"The fringe blokes who have come into the side have to aim up now for the Gold Coast's sake and their own sake and they can still finish the season strongly and give the club an even better base to work off next year.

"With guys like John Cartwright, Trevor Gillmeister and Scott Sattler involved in the organisation, those blokes shouldn't know the meaning of the words 'give up'.

"They have done so well this year, they really have, so it would be a shame if they stopped fighting now but I don't think it is going to happen given the blokes in charge down there."

Close addressed Titans players before their historic Round 1 clash with St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium.

He said the expectations of Titans players and management were far greater than those of the rugby league public, with some pundits predicting a wooden-spoon finish.

"Given the side that Michael Searle and his team had assembled I thought that was fair enough, too, that they aimed high," Close said.

"They set the bar up there and had a pretty decent old crack at it too so they shouldn't be too disappointed with themselves."

The Sunday Mail

Coaster
29-07-07, 10:44 AM
Yup its been an awesome first season, and we will be contenders with a full roster.

I think the boys played really well last night, against 14.

There defence was 100% better, and our attack just seemed to lack ... whats it called... oh yeah Prince:)

Great job by the Titans, very proud of you this morning.

Outstanding first year no matter what happens.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PROMETHEUS
30-07-07, 05:58 PM
Agree,the success (so far) this year should be a solid platform upon which to build future campaigns.
:clap:

Dragons
30-07-07, 06:43 PM
The Titan's have done a lot better then most people expected. Next year will be even better. Can't wait till the new statium is finished as then I will be attending as many games as I can.

bigjim
01-08-07, 02:37 PM
The Titans have built a reputation as being hard in defence, never giving up, one of the fittest teams running around, and having attacking flair.

Not bad for our first season.

The team didn't fail to achieve. They, and all their supporters are proud of their showing.
If we had the same team on the paddock for the whole season would have easily made top four.

As has been said over and over, it's not just the combined talent of players that produces success, it's keeping them uninjured and on the park.

Some year's your lucky, some year's your crippled.

Depth will put us in better sted next season at the 'Skilled Arena'. (Sounds so much better than Skilled Park)

jenwood
01-08-07, 02:57 PM
Totally agree. The Titans have done really well for their first season and when you consider the shocking injury count we have had we did well to get to 4th spot on the ladder! Next year will be awesome withmore depth especially in key areas and hopefully a better run with injuries we will be a force to be reckoned with! Moving to skilled park will be a big plus and hopefully get more loud, vocal, one-eyed supporters there every home game to cheer the boys on. You only had to be at the last game against the Broncos at Suncorp to see how much fan support lifts the team. When the Titans fans in the away team supporters bay got loud and enthusiastic Princey loved it and responded by encouraging us to yell louder. Just imagine what an impact a full house of Titans supporters at Skilled Park will have on our team!!! GO THE MIGHTY TITANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PROMETHEUS
01-08-07, 05:50 PM
'Skilled Arena'. (Sounds so much better than Skilled Park)

Why not just "The Colliseum?"

:clap: