View Full Version : Victorian Premier Steve Bracks quits politics

Queenslander
27-07-07, 11:07 AM
'It is time for me to move on'
July 27, 2007 10:16am

* Victorian Premier Steve Bracks quits politics
* Decision comes after son was in car crash
* Have your say on Mr Bracks's legacy

VICTORIAN Premier Steve Bracks has stunningly quit politics, citing personal reasons for his decision and a realisation that he could not continue to dedicate all his energy to his job.

Mr Bracks said he intended to make "a new and different life outside of politics".

"I leave politics proud of what has been achieved, proud of what we have done, and confident of Labor's future in this state," Mr Bracks said.

"For me, it is the right time to step down."

He said he had realised he could not give a 100 per cent committment to his future in politics.

Mr Bracks's son is facing drink-driving charges after being involved in a car crash earlier this month.

Mr Bracks departure would allow for a "smooth and effective" leadership transition, he said.

Cabinet held an extraordinary meeting this morning where the announcement was discussed.

At the time Mr Bracks said: "He's been an absolute idiot. This has really shocked me.

"I just felt hopeless and useless, and you can't help feeling a bit of a failure in some ways as a parent."

Nick, 20, escaped injury in the crash, which happened about 4.30am at the junction of Melbourne Rd and Hosking St, Williamstown, just blocks from the Bracks family home.

He later returned a blood-alcohol reading of .129.

Mr Bracks, a Catholic of Lebanese descent, was elected Premier in 1999, beating Jeff Kennett in a stunning election result. Mr Bracks had been significantly behind in the polls throughout the campaign.

He went on to win the 2002 election in a landslide and the state?s Liberal-led opposition has been in the political wilderness since.

www.news.com.au