PDA

View Full Version : Round 23: Gold Coast Titans vs Sydney Roosters

Queenslander
27-07-07, 09:58 AM
Gold Coast Titans vs Sydney Roosters
Carrara Stadium; Sunday 19th August, 2:00PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpgvshttp://www.sportsperformer.com.au/Images/Sydney_Roosters.gif

Join the LEGION for the final game on the coast for this year (and the final game for the Titans at Carrara)
(http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10578)

Referee: Gavin Badger

Team Notes:

Titans

- Luke Swain moves back into the lock role with Josh Graham back on the bench

- Gold Coast welcome back Mat Rogers to the centres, with Luke O'Dwyer back onto the bench

- Gold Coast also welcome back Matt Petersen and Chris Walker on the 7 man bench.

Roosters

- Roosters coach Brad Fittler has named Mitchell Pearce at halfback for the Roosters clash with the Titans this Sunday afternoon on the Gold Coast.

- Pearce is one of many changes with Wing shifting back to hooker in the absence of the suspended Heath L’Estrange.

- John Williams has been recalled on the wing in place of the injured Iosia Soliola with Monaghan shifting back into the centres.

- Captain Craig Fitzgibbon is back from an injury and will be joined by Myles in the second row with Tupou to start from the bench.

- Danny Nutley has been named to start in the front row with Lopini Paea to come off the bench. Shaun Kenny-Dowall has been named 18th man with the Roosters flying up to the Gold Coast on Saturday morning.

Teams:
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Preston Campbell
2. Jake Webster
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Josh Lewis
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14. Daniel Conn
15. Ian Donnelly
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Luke O'Dwyer
18. Josh Graham
19. Matthew Petersen
22. Chris Walker (three to be omitted)

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_12.gif

1. Sam Perrett
2. Amos Roberts
3. Mitchell Aubusson
4. Joel Monaghan
5. John Williams
6. Braith Anasta
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Shillington
9. Craig Wing
10. Danny Nutley
11. Nate Myles
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Ashley Harrison

Interchange

14. Lopini Paea
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Setaimata Sa
17. Shane Shackleton
18. Shaun Kenny-Dowall (one to be omitted)

Nathalie
12-08-07, 02:45 PM
I'll be there!! Under the scoreboard.. with a few people this time..

GOATUS
12-08-07, 03:28 PM
Goat will be there for sure this time if i dont diehard and steve will kill me

patskE
12-08-07, 04:58 PM
do we have any chance of sneaking in? if not we should give some qld cup players a run to see how they go

PROMETHEUS
12-08-07, 06:21 PM
Lets turn those c o c k y roosters into feather dusters,increase our chances of september action :p and send 'em down the table!:clap:

Wolfpak
12-08-07, 06:51 PM
Well at least it's on a Sunday which gives me a better-than-average chance of being able to make it! Hope to see ya'll there!

GCT_89
12-08-07, 08:06 PM
ALRIGHT!!.......its time to knock the roosters off thier feet, off their game and out of the running for the top eight!

they are in the same position as we are <need to win every game to scrape into the top eight> and with their new found victory run into the finals its time to remember earlier in the year when we were kicking ass and they were an embarrissing joke!

essentially they are just a bunch off pansy sooks that need to be taught a lesson!

and that lesson is us!

if not to knock the roosters of course, at least as an incredible confidence boost as we head into the narrow end of the season!

be there on sunday arvo as the mighty TITANS take on the pansy roosters and give them a good 'ole thrashing!

get in quick as this is the last home game of the season......

>>>>LAST HOME GAME OF SEASON!<<<< (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=TITANGC07&searchId=a1a565f3-d743-4ea6-a014-db8752195232)

ALL these tickets should be sold already! C'mon everybody theres just no excuse:woot:

we need the stadium full of TITAN supporters, not roosters! :clap:

<P.S. ill be there:blink: >

patskE
12-08-07, 08:57 PM
walker in for samau?
or lewis droped?

kwigibo
13-08-07, 05:03 PM
With some unlikely results, the Titans can get in on 24 points, but that's a greater possibility if they win this one.

Queenslander
13-08-07, 05:05 PM
Pearce back to replace suspended L'Estrange

August 13th, 2007 04:49 PM

Sydney Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce will make his return to the NRL from a back injury against the Gold Coast on Sunday, replacing suspended hooker Heath L'Estrange.

Pearce made a comeback in premier league last weekend after missing five weeks with the back complaint, which he suffered against the Bulldogs in round 16.

The teenager replaces L'Estrange after the hooker accepted a one-match ban for a lifting tackle on Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah last Friday.

Roosters coach Brad Fittler says he has yet to decide whether Pearce will start, meaning Craig Wing would move from halfback to hooker, or whether the teen prodigy will come off the bench.

Source: League Unlimited

kwigibo
13-08-07, 05:07 PM
walker in for samau?
or lewis droped?

Lewis has some lapses in defense, but he creates points. Walker on the wing for Samau or Cartwright has lost his mind.

patskE
13-08-07, 05:20 PM
maybe walker to fb with campbell as 2nd hooker/bench

Steelers
13-08-07, 05:32 PM
With some unlikely results, the Titans can get in on 24 points, but that's a greater possibility if they win this one.

So can the Dragons, pretty much anyone can sneak in on 24 points IF results make an unlikely turn and go their way. The Titans really need to make sure they end up on 26 to make things alot easier for a finals berth.

tom91
13-08-07, 06:07 PM
we need walker in for samau and we need mat rogers back aswell

jenny
13-08-07, 06:08 PM
Too early to judge coach Fittler: Titans

August 13, 2007 - 5:30PM

John Cartwright has no doubts Brad Fittler can develop into a successful fulltime NRL coach but he claims it's too early to judge the former Test captain's credentials.

Gold Coast mentor Cartwright aims to end Fittler's dream introduction to first grade coaching this Sunday when the Titans take on a red-hot Sydney Roosters at Carrara in their last home game for 2007.

The Roosters have rocketed into finals contention under the guidance of Fittler, who is undefeated in his five games at the helm since taking over from Chris Anderson.

Cartwright said he believed Fittler had the ability and tactical nous to succeed as an NRL coach but warned it was premature to judge the former Roosters five-eighth, despite his golden run of four wins and a draw.

"Everyone would love to have his record at the moment but he's five games in," Cartwright pointed out.

"It's very early to make judgments on anyone.

"But Freddy knows the game and he's been around for a long time. He's getting the best out of them at the moment and they'll be hard to beat."

In the wake of Friday night's dramatic golden-point victory over Wests Tigers, a Sydney newspaper reported on Sunday that the Roosters will appoint Fittler on a permanent basis early this week.

Asked whether Fittler could handle the job, Cartwright replied: "Without a doubt.

"The way he's turned that club around, they were going nowhere when he took over and he's been undefeated in the five games he's been there.

"At that stage of the year ... that's a huge achievement but this time next year would be a better time to make judgments."

Titans centre Mat Rogers added: "It's a big call when you take the caretaker away and just put coach in there.

"I think the pressure might change a little bit, we'll have to wait and see.

"I'm sure he'd do a great job. He's probably relishing the role on a part-time basis at the moment."

Rogers said Fittler was similar to former Roosters assistant coach Cartwright in that players wanted to play for them.

"Freddy's such a good bloke and I know if he was coaching me I'd be doing everything in my power to make sure you succeed for him," said Rogers.

"It's bit of a fairytale for him at this stage and hopefully we can break it."

The Roosters had lost six of their opening seven matches when they confronted the Titans in mid-May but emerged with a 24-18 victory.

? 2007 AAP

TITAN FOREVER
13-08-07, 06:26 PM
walker in for samau?
or lewis droped?

I think you may have something there. I think we need the most experienced team we can get. Truly we are lossing it it defense. I think Walkers defense is better than Preston and Lewis also got the grunt. Anyhow is do or die this week no second chances.

Good Luck Titans.

Hope Rogers and Hilder are back real soon. To play the Sharkies. :)

PROMETHEUS
13-08-07, 10:47 PM
Pearce back to replace suspended L'Estrange

August 13th, 2007 04:49 PM

Sydney Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce will make his return to the NRL from a back injury against the Gold Coast on Sunday, replacing suspended hooker Heath L'Estrange.

Pearce made a comeback in premier league last weekend after missing five weeks with the back complaint, which he suffered against the Bulldogs in round 16.

The teenager replaces L'Estrange after the hooker accepted a one-match ban for a lifting tackle on Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah last Friday.

Roosters coach Brad Fittler says he has yet to decide whether Pearce will start, meaning Craig Wing would move from halfback to hooker, or whether the teen prodigy will come off the bench.

Source: League Unlimited

Snap his back like a chicken bone.

jenny
14-08-07, 11:25 AM
Welcome mat out as Rogers set to rip into Roosters

Luke Turgeon

14Aug07

TITANS strike weapon Mat Rogers yesterday declared he would be fit for Sunday's crunch encounter with the red-hot Roosters at Carrara after failing to make the trip across the Tasman at the weekend.

Rogers watched from the Gold Coast as his teammates got rolled 30-6 by the Warriors in New Zealand on Saturday. He was rested by coach John Cartwright after aggravating an existing knee injury the week before against the Tigers.

The 31-year-old dual international said that the break had done him 'the world of good' and he was ready to rip in against the resurgent Roosters.

"I will definitely be back this week," said Rogers.

"I was battling to play each week prior to it and regardless of the result (in New Zealand) Carty knew we had to win this week.

"So we just thought it best to give it a week's break and it has done it the world of good to be honest.

"I probably came back a week too early. I was a little bit too keen to get back on the field and it has probably cost me a little bit in the long run."

In another boost, enigmatic flyer Chris Walker is poised to return from a hamstring injury.

The addition of Rogers and Walker would add much-needed spark to the young Titans backline, whose inexperience was exposed against the Warriors.

The Titans' outside backs failed to convert opportunities into points by making fundamental errors on several occasions.

Cartwright said he did not rule out a selection shake-up when he names the team to take on the Tri Colours today.

"We haven't got a lot of options but we will sit down and have a look at where I think we went wrong and we will definitely try and improve," he said.

The Titans need to win their three remaining matches to stay in touch with the top eight.

So do the Roosters.

Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince said he just wanted to finish the year on a positive note.

"Even if we don't make the finals we still want to finish the year well," said Prince. "We have had our fair share of challenges this year and at the end of the day I think we have overcome them really well."

Cartwright said he would be disappointed to miss out on making the finals.

"It is all or nothing for both sides (this weekend) so it is going to be a great game," he said.

"We set ourselves up in a position where we were a big chance to make the eight.

"So for me personally anything outside of there I would be disappointed with."
GC Bulletin

Capital_Shark
14-08-07, 12:30 PM
Titans can match 'em in point scoring ability, no worries. But if the chooks get an early lead I think their defense will seem first class in comparison. Tough one to tip.

Really the Roosters don't deserve a finals berth. Obviously this mob always had it in 'em to be competitive, just didn't put in for the start of the season.

Steve
14-08-07, 01:17 PM
It'll be great to have Walker and Rogers back in the side.

Should be an interesting coaching battle too.
Cartwright and Fittler were teammates under Gould in the Panthers '91 grand final win.
Cartwright was an assistant coach out at the Roosters when Fittler was still playing, and they're both rookie coaches this year.
Hoss might have a bit of inside knowledge of some of the Roosters players from his time there.

lonegull
14-08-07, 01:21 PM
should be an interesting arvo, when carty names his team walker of the wing or fullback, samau out or in, where will presto play, bench positions very intriging

Steve
14-08-07, 01:48 PM
I'm going to guess Walker to fullback, Preston to 6 and Lewis to the QRL.
Fingers crossed Parfitt and Barnes get a call up.

Big J
14-08-07, 02:34 PM
My guess would also be that Lewis will be spending a couple of weeks in the Queensland Cup. As good as he has been at times his defence really needs some work. Walker to slot in at fullback and Presto to 5/8. Samau to be replaced by one of the young guns.

DIEHARD
14-08-07, 02:45 PM
Absolutely Steve it will be a very interesting coaching battle!

But we have what it takes to derail the Chooks revival.

I'm looking forward to Walker and Rogers returning, that adds a lot to our side.

We really missed Matt last week, but his absence could not be avoided.

Cowboy Titan
14-08-07, 03:40 PM
Gold Coast Titans (http://www.rleague.com/db/year/2007/national_rugby_league/gold_coast_titans/index.php)

1. Preston Campbell,
2. Jake Webster,
3. Mat Rogers,
4. Brett Delaney,
5. Smith Samau,
6. Josh Lewis,
7. Scott Prince (c),
8. Luke Bailey (c),
9. Nathan Friend,
10. Michael Hodgson,
11. Anthony Laffranchi,
12. Mark Minichiello,
13. Luke Swain.

Subs:

14. Daniel Conn,
15. Ian Donnelly,
16. Gavin Cooper,
17. Luke O'Dwyer,
18. Josh Graham,
19. Matthew Petersen,
22. Chris Walker (three to be omitted).

Sydney Roosters (http://www.rleague.com/db/year/2007/national_rugby_league/sydney_roosters/index.php)

1 Sam Perrett ,
2 Amos Roberts ,
3 Mitchell Aubusson ,
4 Joel Monaghan ,
5 John Williams ,
6 Braith Anasta ,
7 Mitchell Pearce ,
8 David Shillington ,
9 Craig Wing ,
10 Danny Nutley ,
11 Nate Myles,
12 Craig Fitzgibbon (c),
13 Ashley Harrison .

Subs:
14 Lopini Paea ,
15 Anthony Tupou,
16 Setaimata Sa,
17 Shane Skackleton,
18 Shaun Kenny - Dowall.

Cowboy Titan
14-08-07, 03:44 PM
Now if I was picking the run on side, I'd have Walker to full back with Preston to 5/8, Peterson to the wing for Samau with Josh Lewis and Josh Graham also missing out.

This is the last possible chance to stay in the running for the 8 so you have to play your absolute strongest players in each position. Carty can experiment next week if we lose to the Roosters.

dee13
14-08-07, 05:04 PM
I spoke to Titans today. The tickets for this game are selling like hot cakes. Looks like a full house, so get in quick if you want to witness history.
The Titans final game at Carrara.

All the best

TITAN FOR LIFE
Dee

Cowboy Titan
14-08-07, 05:15 PM
I spoke to Titans today. The tickets for this game are selling like hot cakes. Looks like a full house, so get in quick if you want to witness history.
The Titans final game at Carrara.

All the best

TITAN FOR LIFE
Dee
Thanks for the heads up. I just need to convince my better half that we shouldn't have the BBQ she's planning and I'll be there.

Rage
14-08-07, 06:31 PM
Now if I was picking the run on side, I'd have Walker to full back with Preston to 5/8, Peterson to the wing for Samau with Josh Lewis and Josh Graham also missing out.

This is the last possible chance to stay in the running for the 8 so you have to play your absolute strongest players in each position. Carty can experiment next week if we lose to the Roosters.

agreed, we can't afford to play around with players and see what works
need the absolute ebst team that we can have otherwise this year is over

Chaos
14-08-07, 07:05 PM
With Peterson and Walker back in the side I'd be dropping Dalaney and Samau...moving Webster in the centres.

TITAN FOREVER
14-08-07, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Cowboy Titan

This is the last possible chance to stay in the running for the 8 so you have to play your absolute strongest players in each position. Carty can experiment next week if we lose to the Roosters

I am thinking you might be right Cowboy. Lets hope whatever we don't leak trys on the edges.

patskE
14-08-07, 07:57 PM
yep chaos i was going to suggest that aswell lol
i always wanted to see webster given more ball
deleany should be on bench instead of owdeyer

Supergoose
14-08-07, 09:25 PM
I must be watching different Titans games to the rest of you. Samau has been better than Webster. I'd be bringing Walker in at fullback and moving Preston to 5/8 and Peterson on the wing for Webster. If Samau was to go as well then Walker to wing Campbell to fullback and Rogers at 5/8 with O'Dwyer at centre but Samau has to be there ahead of Webster IMO. Lewis will get hammered on the edges by Anasta so having O'Dwyer and Rogers in closer to shut him down is a good idea with Preston defending at fullback.

patskE
14-08-07, 10:03 PM
webster just didnt get the ball
it casue they target smith casue his teh week link

Supergoose
14-08-07, 10:08 PM
I still reckon he's going better than Webster in the Titans structure. After considering dropping them both for Petersen and Walker and moving Rogers to 5/8 I'm liking that more and more. Either that or play Luke O'Dwyer at 5/8.

Chaos
15-08-07, 12:23 AM
I still reckon he's going better than Webster in the Titans structure. After considering dropping them both for Petersen and Walker and moving Rogers to 5/8 I'm liking that more and more. Either that or play Luke O'Dwyer at 5/8.

Supergoose,

I think the bigger problem is Dalaney blowing tries at centre and I see Webster more of a centre then winger.
Would you play wing outside Dalaney?

patskE
15-08-07, 12:33 PM
just read peterson ruled himself out basically
walker is a very big chance
but rogers is like like 50/50 to play
i dont think its delaney, its more samau being in the right spot, but yeh his more of a ball running center
i would rather see webster get in there closer to the action n get more ball

Coaster
15-08-07, 02:57 PM
I would like to see Samau given a good shot at fullback.

He has the same frame and step as Hunt, and with a bit of coaching could be an awesome fullback.

To me he still needs another off season to bulk up, but i think he will eventually be fullback.

C-Whiz
15-08-07, 03:29 PM
My biggest problem with Samau has been his positioning rather than his ability, mainly coming way too far inside off his wing. I think this has made Delaney appear to be having worse games than he actually is, if that makes sense. I was not that critical of Delaney earlier in the season, so I wonder if it is more to do with the ever changing outside men?

I cringe whenever a high ball is directed to Preston at FB, but I am impressed with some of the stuff he manages to hold onto, as he never seems to be under the ball! He also shows great courage bringing the ball back, but clearly he is not up to stopping anyone running at him 1 on 1.

So, I guess my question would be... how good is Samau at FB? Seems like a bit of a waste putting Walker back there if we need points.

vanilla
15-08-07, 03:32 PM
Go titans

C-Whiz
15-08-07, 03:36 PM
Go titans

That's more positive Peter. Keep it up. :)

Big J
15-08-07, 04:34 PM
Titans v Roosters preview From nrl.com.au
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:44 PM

Expect plenty of feeling in this clash, with both sides on their last chance to advance to the finals.

The Roosters are riding a wave of euphoria with four wins and a draw from their past five games under new coach Brad Fittler ? but it?s right about now that most are predicting the bubble to burst.

That?s not necessarily because of the strength of the Gold Coast outfit, but after tough encounters against the Storm, Warriors and Wests Tigers, it?s logical to anticipate some letdown ? especially given their lean season pre-Fittler.

Meanwhile the Titans have just one win from their past seven games ? but six of those were without the all-important ?big four? combination of Luke Bailey, Scott Prince, Mat Rogers and Anthony Laffranchi.

Two or more were missing throughout their recent five-long losing streak, and the only game they won was when all four were reunited against the Wests Tigers in round 21.

Just last week Mat Rogers was a late withdrawal against the Warriors; they lost. But, omen punters, all four are back on deck this week?

In line-up changes, Heath L?estrange?s suspension sees Craig Wing shift to hooker, with Mitchell Pearce back from injury at half, while charismatic winger Matt Petersen has been named on an extended bench.

Watch out Titans: It?s amazing what a sprinkle of success will do? guys who were previously plodding have grown a new leg.

Just look at Braith Anasta ? it?s doubtful anyone would dare label him an over-rated player given his form of the past month.

His man of the match performance last week was awesome ? he ran the ball 10 times and gained 99 metres, made four tackle breaks, two line breaks, a try assist and kicked tactically and prodigiously 17 times for 436 metres.

After starting the season convinced that lock was his position, he?s now reassessed that and is happy with five-eighth on a permanent basis.

He?ll be keen to give former Rooster Josh Lewis a lesson in the finer points of the position here.

Watch out Roosters: It?s doubtful Titans prop and co-captain Luke Bailey has ever been in better form.

After an indifferent State of Origin series he?s really ramped things up recently ? after missing three games through injury he still ranks fifth in the comp for metres gained (2,887), sixth for hit-ups and is in the top 20 for tackles made (601).

That?s a rare combination of player.

Where it will be won: It will all come down to who makes the most errors.

These sides play a similar style of game ? not surprising, given Cartwright learned the coaching trade under Ricky Stuart at the Roosters, while it?s safe to say Fittler picked up a thing or three under Stuart too.

Both packs feature big men complemented by forceful fringe runners, and each depends on an astute tactician (Prince and Anasta) to guide them around the park.

Look at the stats and there?s little between them ? both sides have scored 65 tries, the Titans? 74% completion rate is just three points better than the Roosters, the Titans have made a combined 321 tackles to the Roosters? 325, hit-ups favour the Titans 167-156 while the Roosters have clawed just 19 metres less than the Titans? 1,327. And errors?

The Titans make 8.6 a game to the Roosters? 9. As you can see, it?s too close to call.

The History: Played 1; Titans 0, Roosters 1. The Roosters won the only clash between these teams 24-18 back in round nine at the SFS.

Conclusion: The Titans have spoken out during the week, saying anything less than a finals appearance will make this season?s performance less than satisfactory.

While many will think that a little harsh it does speak volumes for the professionalism and attitude of the new franchise.

They certainly won?t be short on support ? they?re averaging more than 20,000 spectators to home games (the second best in the NRL) and this game will be a sell-out. Interestingly, both sides have beaten the Wests Tigers in the past fortnight, but it was the Titans who did it most comfortably.

How Mitchell Pearce slots back in for the Roosters will be crucial ? he?s been missing since they embarked on their winning streak and if he?s not up to pace it will be telling.

Match officials: Referee ? Gavin Badger; Sideline Officials ? Russell Turner & Tony De Las Heras; Video ref ? Chris Ward.

Rage
15-08-07, 05:41 PM
ooh Gavin Badger as ref
didn't he ref the rabbitohs game?

jenny
16-08-07, 09:10 AM
Fired up and with sights set on finals :clap: :clap:

Luke Turgeon

16Aug07

THE Titans descended into a simulated war zone yesterday as the countdown to the biggest battle in their short history begins.

On Sunday, the Titans will trade in their paintball guns and camouflage gear for football boots and pride as they fight to keep their season alive against the red-hot Roosters at Gold Coast Stadium.

Battle-hardened assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister said the Titans would adopt a siege mentality for their last home game of the year. "It was good to just forget about football but the skirmish will be well and truly forgotten about tomorrow I can tell you," said the Queensland State of Origin legend.

"It is our last home game, so if the players need any motivation for this week then they shouldn't be playing.

"It is a great scenario with a full house expected here on Sunday, so hopefully they can play well.

"The crowd support here has been fantastic so we probably need to repay them a bit."

The Titans need to win all three remaining games -- Roosters, Sharks and Melbourne -- to qualify for the finals.

If they lose to the Roosters, who also need to win all remaining games, the Titans can kiss their top eight dream goodbye.

"Obviously it is getting toward the business end of the season," said Gillmeister.

"Blokes don't have to rant and rave to be motivated.

"It is a hard game league because it is something you have to prepare yourself for every week.

"It is not like you pump yourself up for one game a month, like a fighter might fight once every six months. That is the beauty of the game and it is the mentally tough ones that normally get through."

The Titans squad travelled to the War Museum at Mudgeeraba yesterday for a team-building morning out on the skirmish range.

While the main objective of the day was to have fun and relieve the build up of pressure ahead of the crunch match against the Roosters, there was also a serious side.

"It was mostly for a bit of fun but it was also good to learn a bit of teamwork and sacrifice," said Cartwright.

"I think I might have got a few extra special ones (shots).

"But it was a good way to ease the pressure and now we can get our minds back on the job."

The Roosters have gone from last at the halfway point to the form team of the competition in just a few weeks. They are undefeated since Brad Fittler took the helm in round 18, winning four and drawing one in five games.

"The Roosters have five Origin players in their forward pack so they are going to be pretty tough," said Gillmeister.

"They are just playing with great enthusiasm and you can't coach that. Overall people have been saying what a good season it has been but we are focusing on this week."
GC Bulletin

Big J
17-08-07, 10:00 AM
ooh Gavin Badger as ref
didn't he ref the rabbitohs game?

I think so but I wouldn't have used the term ref so loosely. A more adequate sentence would have been "didn't he butcher the rabbitohs game?"

Lets hope that we win in spite of anything he may do.

jenny
17-08-07, 10:02 AM
Roosters hit snag with Prince plan

Pat Molihan

17Aug07

OPERATION Shutdown is what the the Roosters have planned for Titans skipper Scott Prince but their mission may yet hit a snag with their own halfback Mitchell Pearce in doubt for Sunday's do-or-die clash at Gold Coast Stadium.

Pearce quit the club's training session in distress and went straight to physiotherapist Tony Ayoub at Wentworth Park yesterday amid fears he'd suffered a relapse of the back injury which has sidelined him for more than a month.

Roosters coach Brad Fittler remains confident he will play but admits the young halfback must prove his fitness when the side trains again in Sydney this morning.

"He just got a twinge," said Fittler. "It was one of those nerve things where it just tightened up.

"He's going to run (today) and I'm still very confident he will play."

Fittler knows Pearce will need to do much more than just play if the Roosters are to contain Titans captain. Gold Coast's best performances have been built around the former Tiger and the visitors know he holds the key to this match and the prospect of them inching their way towards a berth in the finals.

"He's the key, there's no doubt about it," said Fittler. "They have a lot of players that work very hard around him. You've got (Luke) Bailey and those fellas doing a mountain of work but he seems to be in all their try assists and line break assists."

Five-eighth Braith Anasta guided the Roosters to victory as he set up Joel Monaghan's try in extra time against the Tigers last Friday.

The NSW State of Origin representative's turnaround in form has seen him running the ball, especially at his smaller rivals in the halves.

While Fittler wants him to again test Prince, the former Test pivot-turned-coach knows Prince is smart enough to bide his time and catch rivals in a blink of an eye.

"He's a smart player so when you're watching him he attacks you at your weakest," said Fittler.

"Sometimes you might have done as much as you like but he's still going to get you when you're short down a blindside or when you're going backwards. He's just a smart player."

Before yesterday's session Pearce spoke about how his back problem was `nearly 100 per cent' after his comeback game in Premier League.
GC Bulletin

Big J
17-08-07, 10:15 AM
Lets all hope he is ok because I think they are a much more dangerous team when Wing is at halfback. With Pearce having been out for a few weeks he may just be the rusty link we can crack wide open.

jenny
17-08-07, 04:58 PM
Gold Coast Titans looking to go out on a high
Karl deKroo

August 17, 2007 12:00am

GOLD Coast has reflected on its worst performance of the season in an effort to inspire one of its best against the Roosters in its farewell match at Carrara on Sunday.

Coach John Cartwright last night admitted his side's round 9 loss to the Roosters in early May still ate away at him.

At the time he labelled the performance of his team "ordinary and unacceptable", and leading into the return bout his view has not changed.

"It was a really disappointing performance and it has proved pretty costly in the grand scheme of things," Cartwright said of the 24-18 loss to the then wooden spoon favourite.

"Before that we had been up for every game we played. But we went down there on Mother's Day. There would have been lucky to be 3000 people there and we turned in a shocker. We didn't aim up. We still almost got out of it, but we didn't deserve to."

The Roosters have been transformed by caretaker coach Brad Fittler from easybeats to finals contenders, but Cartwright is confident of turning the tables in the club's final appearance at Carrara.

Next season the Titans will move to their permanent base at Robina, with their new stadium set for completion before Christmas.

"This is going to be a really big game for both clubs," Cartwright said.

"To be honest, I haven't been surprised by the way the Roosters have come good.

"They are the form team of the competition and when you look at them on paper they are a fairly star-studded line-up.

"For whatever reason they were under-performing early but they are playing to their potential now. They are a top-eight opponent."

Facing road trips to Cronulla and Melbourne to end the regular season, Cartwright said the Titans owed their fans a big sendoff.

Titans centre Mat Rogers is expected to play but Cartwright said he would reserve his decision on the possible inclusion of fullback Chris Walker and winger Matt Petersen.
Article from: The Courier-Mail

jenny
18-08-07, 07:26 AM
Roosters hit snag with Prince plan

Pat Molihan

17Aug07

OPERATION Shutdown is what the the Roosters have planned for Titans skipper Scott Prince but their mission may yet hit a snag with their own halfback Mitchell Pearce in doubt for Sunday's do-or-die clash at Gold Coast Stadium.

Pearce quit the club's training session in distress and went straight to physiotherapist Tony Ayoub at Wentworth Park yesterday amid fears he'd suffered a relapse of the back injury which has sidelined him for more than a month.

Roosters coach Brad Fittler remains confident he will play but admits the young halfback must prove his fitness when the side trains again in Sydney this morning.

"He just got a twinge," said Fittler. "It was one of those nerve things where it just tightened up.

"He's going to run (today) and I'm still very confident he will play."

Fittler knows Pearce will need to do much more than just play if the Roosters are to contain Titans captain. Gold Coast's best performances have been built around the former Tiger and the visitors know he holds the key to this match and the prospect of them inching their way towards a berth in the finals.

"He's the key, there's no doubt about it," said Fittler. "They have a lot of players that work very hard around him. You've got (Luke) Bailey and those fellas doing a mountain of work but he seems to be in all their try assists and line break assists."

Five-eighth Braith Anasta guided the Roosters to victory as he set up Joel Monaghan's try in extra time against the Tigers last Friday.

The NSW State of Origin representative's turnaround in form has seen him running the ball, especially at his smaller rivals in the halves.

While Fittler wants him to again test Prince, the former Test pivot-turned-coach knows Prince is smart enough to bide his time and catch rivals in a blink of an eye.

"He's a smart player so when you're watching him he attacks you at your weakest," said Fittler.

"Sometimes you might have done as much as you like but he's still going to get you when you're short down a blindside or when you're going backwards. He's just a smart player."

Before yesterday's session Pearce spoke about how his back problem was `nearly 100 per cent' after his comeback game in Premier League.
GC Bulletin

jenny
18-08-07, 07:27 AM
Petersen chance to front Roosters :woot: :clap: :clap:

Luke Turgeon

18Aug07

TITANS try-scoring machine Matt Petersen is set to be rushed back from injury and straight into the starting side for tomorrow's do-or-die clash with the Roosters at Gold Coast Stadium.

Petersen will make himself available for selection if he gets through the Titans final training run today, completing an extraordinary recovery from knee surgery.

The Titans equal leading try scorer with centre Mat Rogers, Petersen's season was thought to be over after damaging cartilage and ligaments in his right knee against Canberra five weeks ago.

He ran for the first time since his injury on Tuesday and did a bit of contact work on Thursday.

"Earlier in the week I was 50-50 of playing next week but after having a run at training I am probably 50-50 for Sunday," said Petersen yesterday.

"I am feeling OK.

"First I have to get picked by Carty, it is a big game for the boys and I don't know if he would want to risk me having been out so long."

But The Gold Coast Bulletin understands Titans coach John Cartwright wants the slick finisher in his side for the must-win encounter.

The most likely scenario will see winger Jake Webster dropped for the match so Petersen can resume his lethal out-wide combination with Rogers.

Despite turning in sub-par performances in recent weeks, fellow winger Smith Samau is likely to be spared the axe because of his superior workrate in running the ball out of his own half.

Former Origin flyer Chris Walker will return from a hamstring injury to take his place at fullback, pushing Preston Campbell to five-eighth and young half Josh Lewis out of the side.

The 11th-placed Titans need to win all three remaining games to stay in touch with the top eight.

Playing their final match at Carrara before moving to Skilled Park at Robina next year, the Titans will need to halt the rampaging Roosters, who are undefeated since Brad Fittler took the reins five rounds ago.

Titans co-captain Luke Bailey said he was confident of toppling the high-flying Roosters.

"We just need to be confident and get out there and have a real dig knowing that there could be just two games left," said Bailey. "I think some blokes are still sitting in their comfort zone a little bit and I think they have got to get out of that if we want to try and make these semis."

Punters yesterday rallied behind the Gold Coast, with TAB Sportsbet firming the Titans into $1.87 favourites compared to the Roosters' $1.93 after a string of heavy wagers for Cartwright's men.

One punter stands to win $29,250 after putting $15,000 on the Titans at $1.95 and the Coast also featured in some substantial multi-bets.

"No one really rates us to make the top eight, which is better for us," said Bailey.

"If we don't, I will be disappointed but we have had a pretty decent year.

"We have always played with a lot of effort but I am getting a bit sick of hearing 'oh well boys, the effort was there'.

"Effort alone doesn't win you games.

"We need 17 blokes switched on and hungry about the win."\
GC Bulletin

GCT_89
18-08-07, 09:51 AM
would be great to see sideshow back on the feild but lets just hope its not too early, hes one of the guys we need for the clash against melbourne.

Rage
18-08-07, 12:00 PM
Dropping Webster instead of Samau?
It's an awesome side but i'm a bit scared with the sudden rotation of the side when it's never really been tested before

DIEHARD
18-08-07, 01:37 PM
Tickets are really selling out for this match. Anyone still yet to get them, go grab some asap, we don't want any big fans missing out.

patskE
18-08-07, 01:52 PM
"The most likely scenario will see winger Jake Webster dropped for the match so Petersen can resume his lethal out-wide combination with Rogers."
sif not webster!

jenny
18-08-07, 03:02 PM
Titans out to break Roosters' confidence :woot: :woot:

August 18, 2007 - 2:34PM

Halting the momentum of a sizzling Sydney Roosters outfit brimming with confidence will be the biggest challenge facing Gold Coast in Sunday's crucial NRL clash at Carrara, says halfback Scott Prince.

The Titans and the Roosters will both be playing for their season on Sunday as one more slip-up will knock them out of contention for next month's finals series.

In their final match at Gold Coast Stadium before next year's move to Skilled Park in Robina, the Titans will be boosted by the return of fullback Chris Walker (hamstring) and winger Matt Petersen (knee) from injury.

The pair trained strongly on Saturday and coach John Cartwright said he would slot them straight into the starting side if they pull up okay on Sunday morning.

New Zealand international Jake Webster and former Roosters half Josh Lewis are likely to drop out of the Titans squad while dual international Mat Rogers is certain to return from a troublesome knee injury.

The resurgent Roosters are undefeated over their past five games since caretaker coach Brad Fittler took the reins and sit just outside the top eight on 21 competition points - one ahead of the Titans.

"They're playing some good footy and working hard for one another," Prince said about the Sydney club.

"When you're up against that sort of team, they're hard to topple.

"I've been involved in teams with that sort of attitude and confidence and once you've got it, it's hard to break so we'll have to be on our game."

Cartwright said the key to beating the Roosters was to match their enthusiasm.

"They've got good players all over the park," he said.

"They're probably starting to realise their potential now.

"It's our season on the line tomorrow so we'll definitely be turning up."

The Titans have close to a full-strength side for the first time in weeks and will be playing in front of a sellout crowd so there'll be no excuses for failing to take the valuable two points on offer.

"It can't be any better. It's a massive challenge," said co-captain Prince.

"The beauty is we get to play our last home game against a red-hot Roosters team.

"I'd rather be faced with this situation than playing a team that we should beat.

"It'll come right down to the wire. Both teams have got the same skill level and the same type of players.

"It'll come down to who wants it the most and that's where it'll be won."

Rain has been forecast in drought-stricken south-east Queensland over the next few days, meaning ball security and possession could be vital components in Sunday's game.

? 2007 AAP

Rage
18-08-07, 04:59 PM
anyone have an updated list of the side?

jenny
18-08-07, 05:10 PM
I think this is it Rage ;)

Gold Coast Titans: 1. Preston Campbell, 2. Jake Webster, 3. Mat Rogers, 4. Brett Delaney, 5. Smith Samau, 6. Josh Lewis, 7. Scott Prince (c), 8. Luke Bailey (c), 9. Nathan Friend, 10. Michael Hodgson, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Luke Swain. Subs: 14. Daniel Conn, 15. Ian Donnelly, 16. Gavin Cooper, 17. Luke O'Dwyer, 18. Josh Graham, 19. Matthew Petersen, 22. Chris Walker (three to be omitted).

Sydney Roosters: 1 Sam Perrett , 2 Amos Roberts , 3 Mitchell Aubusson , 4 Joel Monaghan , 5 John Williams , 6 Braith Anasta , 7 Mitchell Pearce , 8 David Shillington , 9 Craig Wing , 10 Danny Nutley , 11 Nate Myles, 12 Craig Fitzgibbon (c), 13 Ashley Harrison . Subs: 14 Lopini Paea , 15 Anthony Tupou, 16 Setaimata Sa, 17 Shane Skackleton, 18 Shaun Kenny - Dowall.

Rage
19-08-07, 01:38 PM
Chris Walker and Sideshow cleared to play :) theyre both in the starting side

patskE
19-08-07, 01:53 PM
*edit*
looks like it smith samau n lewis who got dropped according to the nrl site

vanilla
19-08-07, 02:03 PM
this is the official starting line up now

22. Chris Walker
2. Jake Webster
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
19. Matthew Petersen
1. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain
14. Daniel Conn
15. Ian Donnelly
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Luke O'Dwyer

Rage
19-08-07, 02:18 PM
Score on first set!!!! :)
Sideshow is back

matti
19-08-07, 02:52 PM
come onnnn titans!!!!!!

matti
19-08-07, 03:59 PM
yay we can win!!!!

Chaos
19-08-07, 04:34 PM
Roosters run to the finals stopped by the start of the Titans run to the finals.

Walker great a fullback and Preston gave good service from 5/8...even though it was wet he still manage to give the outside backs the ball with room. Image what he'll do on a dry paddock?
The reason Preston is a better defander at 5/8 is because he gets off the line quick and hits them before the opposition gains momentum.
I think we finally found a spot for Preston...who would of ever thought he'd be our 5/8?

Rogers and Joel Monahan had a good challenge...I enjoyed watching that match up.

Our forwards were great once again and Minichello's defence of the fringes is once of the best in the comp.

Prince killed it agian but I wont go on about it as I might sound bias towards the guy...just because I think he's the best player in the world.

Friend's passing and running decisions are getting better and better...he easily outplayed Wing.

I wont talk about the ref yet...Titans won...woohoo!

P.J.
19-08-07, 04:40 PM
THANK YOU TITANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

From every single Rabbitohs fan in the world, thank you for beating the Scummers!!! You know how much we hate the Rorters, and you've done us a massive favour by beating them.

Thanks guys, and good luck!!!

jenny
19-08-07, 04:51 PM
What was the score, just got home from work :woot:

Steelers
19-08-07, 04:52 PM
I think we finally found a spot for Preston...who would of ever thought he'd be our 5/8?

I, as have many others, have only been saying that since he signed...

jenny
19-08-07, 05:01 PM
League

Titans keep finals hopes alive

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
August 19, 2007

GOLD Coast has kept its NRL finals hopes alive and virtually knocked the Sydney Roosters out of the race for the top eight with a 22-18 victory in wet conditions at Carrara.

Roosters caretaker coach Brad Fittler suffered his first defeat in six games at the helm in a loss that has all but crushed the club's finals aspirations, although mathematically they're still a chance.

The Titans continue to walk a tightrope and must beat the Sharks and Melbourne on the road to secure an historic finals berth.

Roosters utility Setaimata Sa, who started at halfback instead of the benched Mitchell Pearce, dislocated his hip in the sixth minute and was stretchered off the field, reducing the visitors to a three-man bench.

Gold Coast had lost six of its past seven matches heading into this game but with a vocal crowd of 17,423 egging it on and strike weapons Chris Walker, Matt Petersen and Mat Rogers returning from injuries, it was always going to be hard to beat on home turf.

In their final match at Carrara before heading to Skilled Stadium in Robina next year, the Titans will finish the season with an impressive 8-4 win-loss record at home.

They controlled the ball superbly in pelting rain early as they went to a 12-0 lead after 25 minutes through tries to winger Matt Petersen and centre Brett Delaney.

Delaney kicked a 13th minute goal after Sydney hooker Craig Wing - one of his side's best alongside fullback Sam Perrett and pivot Braith Anasta - was penalised for a grapple tackle on back-rower Luke Swain.

Prince set up both tries, with a towering bomb which Perrett couldn't take in the second minute and a clever short kick on the blindside for Delaney to score in the right corner.

In-form five-eighth Anasta set up the visitors' first try with a 29th minute grubber that Prince fumbled and Perrett swooped on.

Replays to determine whether Perrett forced the ball were inconclusive but video referee awarded the try on "benefit of the doubt".

Anasta narrowed the deficit to 12-10 in the 34th minute when he showed plenty of brute strength to carry Titans pair Nathan Friend and Anthony Laffranchi over the line.

The Titans were starting to crumble under a series of errors but they hit back through a Scott Prince try just before the break as the scheming halfback slid towards the line and just managed to get the ball on the chalk.

Gold Coast extended its lead to 22-10 through a 51st minute converted try to Anthony Laffranchi, who bulldozed his way to the tryline from close range.

Anasta set up Perrett for a 67th minute try but Craig Fitzibbon missed a tough conversion attempt as the Roosters trailed 22-14.

Roosters wing Amos Roberts had a golden opportunity to score off a Anasta grubber in the 73rd minute but failed to control the ball in the in-goal area.

Perrett jagged his hat-trick with a consolation try in the dying seconds.

AAP

Chaos
19-08-07, 05:06 PM
I, as have many others, have only been saying that since he signed...

Steelers,
I said that with tongue in cheek...Preston was our number 1 signing at 5/8 but we played Hilder there for the first half of the season.

He'll be even better in the dry.

Locky24
19-08-07, 05:25 PM
What was the score, just got home from work :woot:

22-18

RichOs69
19-08-07, 06:00 PM
Yaaaaahoooooooo

cop that chookies

Steelers
19-08-07, 06:05 PM
Steelers,
I said that with tongue in cheek...Preston was our number 1 signing at 5/8 but we played Hilder there for the first half of the season.

He'll be even better in the dry.

Haha... it all makes sense now :p My bad

TITAN PETE
19-08-07, 06:18 PM
It was a great win on a very wet track & the ball handling was excellent in the conditions.
Minichello & Prince brilliant with Presto's defence awesome especially on Fitzgibbon :clap: .

The only problem(not) is i need to get to book my trip to Melbourne :woot: !!!

RichOs69
19-08-07, 06:19 PM
First game back and a try in the first 5 mins...to the bloke that called him a bad signing...booooooyaaaa

Steve
19-08-07, 06:54 PM
Definitely worth standing in the cold and rain for that win!

Walker was amazing from the back. If we'd had him all year I reckon we'd have been a good chance of still being in the top 4.
I thought our defence was great for most of the game. Two of the roosters tries were questionable. Infact, one was a dead set no try, the other borderline. But we did enough to get the win, that's all that matters. :D

GCT_89
19-08-07, 07:11 PM
BRILLIANCE!!
absolute brilliance
i just got home from the Gold Coast TITANS V Sydeny Soft-****s games and loved every second of it, i wasnt really standing out in the cold like some though (i was one of the softies up in stand 12).

was an excellent fairwell game for carrara stadium!

dee13
19-08-07, 07:25 PM
Hey there guys,

Sorry Blade couldn't be out there more during the game but, the rain isn't too good for the suit. Plus its 42kg dry imagine the weight if it was water logged.

What a great game. I am a true believer of Chrissy Walker and he did not let me down today. He was brilliant at the back.

Farewell Carrara, you have served us well. Onward to new heights in 2008.

All the best
Dee

Canberra_Titan
19-08-07, 07:25 PM
Well done Titan's :woot: :woot: :woot:

Can't wait for next weekend!!!

Cheers

Michael

BringBackWillie
19-08-07, 10:10 PM
How great was that game!!!!!

Did the Broncos a favour too and it was sweet victory against Fittler!:woot:

Titantones
19-08-07, 10:32 PM
That was a great game, we showed a lot of guts today. All the guys played well in the conditions.
Walker had a great game espeacially under the high ball and he had a couple of hard ones to clean up.

TITANS MENU...

Roast Chicken this week, Fish 'n' Chips next week and then we will cook up a storm in Melbourne.

Go you Mighty Titans

minibeave
20-08-07, 08:55 AM
awesome work titans lets hope we can get 3 qld teams in the 8 come september :woot: :woot: :woot:

Slaytera
20-08-07, 03:34 PM
Great game. I was on the northern hill. Rain right in my face. Still was a great game

Big J
20-08-07, 04:26 PM
Just wanted to mention that I thought Webster was outstanding in the wet, slippery conditions. He came in to take the pressure off the forwards almost every set after a kick return and made invaluable metres every time. He probably didn't deserve special mention but I singled him out because he has copped a fair bit of "constructive" criticism on the forums lately.

Great job Jake:clap: :clap:

patskE
20-08-07, 05:12 PM
yep i luv jake, i got scared when the papers said he would be dropped for peterson, but he got given another shot, n he will a asset if we make the finals with his exp.
deleany still dont do it for me tbh, his more like a 2nd rower, hasnt got a step or anything, we need a cooper/gaz/tonga type center i rkn

jenny
20-08-07, 07:09 PM
Fittler's first taste of loss:woot:
TITANS 22 ROOSTERS 18

BRAD Fittler last night called a private team meeting at the Sydney Roosters' Gold Coast hotel to gauge the extent of his players' devastation after their five-week purple patch was washed away by the determined Titans.
Tricolours stars moped in their dressing room like beaten grand finalists after leaving their run just a tad too late during a 22-18 defeat in possibly the last premiership game to ever be played at Carrara Stadium.

Fittler could sign a permanent contract within 48 hours. The loss ended his unbeaten five-week start to clipboard-carrying and in a slice of new-age coaching, Fittler called the meeting because "I want to see how they feel.

"I don't know. I've never had a losing dressing room before," he told the Daily Telegraph. Earlier, he reflected: "We've sort of been riding the wave and the importance of it will kick in a bit later when we have a look at where we are at the moment."

Five-eighth Braith Anasta left no doubt about his mood as he assessed the Roosters' predicament - they need to beat Penrith and South Sydney, plus hope other results favour them to complete an amazing run from last to the play-offs.

"I feel pretty bad - it's the one that got away," Anasta said, sitting alone in a corner of the dressingrooms. "I'm still filthy about losing. Even when we were down by 12, I was confident we'd get them.

"Freddie was very positive. He said 'we'll have a chat, keep moving forward' The way he handled himself today, before and after the game, was great.

"Everyone's got to stay positive. Everyone's done great. We've still got a chance, really. We've got to win our last two. All I'm looking at is we've got to make the semis. That's all I've got in my head."

The result will not harm Fittler's chances of a fulltime appointment, though, with his agent Wayne Beavis on the tourist strip for yesterday's game - along with club chairman Nick Politis.

"I saw Nick this morning, we talked briefly and there are still no plans," said Beavis.

Asked if there was any movement on a coaching appointment, Politis said: "Not yet."

Papua New Guinea Test coach Adrian Lam has gained a release from the new Cairns Queensland Cup side to take up a position as an assistant but Fittler said he had been told nothing about that situation. Anasta commented: "I've heard a whisper about it too, but not from anyone in the club. I don't know what's going on."

In what the Roosters coach rightly described as an "ugly" game, his utility Setaimata Sa was forced off after only five minutes with a dislocated hip that ended his season.

Video referee Chris Ward was consulted nine times as the rain got heavier, Gold Coast reviving their own finals hopes when they led 22-10 with just under half an hour remaining.

Asked how it felt to lose, Fittler grinned. "Not as good as the other one," he said.

In the words of co-captain Scott Prince, the Titans are now "keeping the dream alive" heading into away games against Cronulla and Melbourne. "No-one gave us a shot from the word go," halfback Prince said.

"We go away (now), two road trips, no-one's going to pick us to win. As far as pressure's concerned, we're just going to go down there and play some football. We'll put it all on the line."

Responding the Fittler's unfavourable assessment of the spectacle, Titans coach John Cartwright said: "Ugly? There were a few good tries scored I thought. It may be ugly if you lose but we were pretty happy with it."

GOLD COAST 22 (M Petersen, B Delaney, S Prince, A Laffranchi tries; B Delaney 2, M Rogers goals) SYDNEY ROOSTERS 18 (S Perrett 3, B Anasta tries; C Fitzgibbon goal) at Carrara Stadium. Referee: Gavin Badger. Crowd: 17,423.
Telegraph

jenny
20-08-07, 07:20 PM
Kicking Angers Punters

Article from: The Daily Telegraph
By Steve Mascord

August 20, 2007 12:00am

NRL officials were last night unmoved by complaints from punters and bookies about the failure of Sydney Roosters captain Craig Fitzgibbon to take a conversion attempt 13 seconds before fulltime in the loss to Gold Coast.

Fullback Sam Perrett's third touchdown in the dying minutes at Carrara Stadium left the Tricolours 22-18 down and second-rower Fitzgibbon asked if he could decline the conversion and try to get another use of the ball from the kick-off.

"There isn't time for a kick-off," referee Gavin Badger replied. "Do you want to take the kick?"

Fitzgibbon shook his head, leading to complaints from punters who had taken the Titans by two in pick-the-margins and from at least one betting agency.

But NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said: "The only question here is whether the player complied with the rules of the game.

"The rules of the game don't compel a conversion attempt to be taken - so therefore the result complied with the rules."

League officials argue games are not staged for the benefit of punters. Asked why he didn't take the kick, Fitzgibbon said: "It didn't matter. We're on uneven (competition) points."

Coach Brad Fittler added: "We're about 200 (for and against) points behind the Warriors."

But one betting agency said they lost $50,000 because of the call.

"We had the total points line set at 41.5 and we had laid the unders big time," Centrebet spokesman Neil Evans said.

"When they scored it brought it to 40 points, kick to come. He has decided not to take the kick and it has cost us $50,000. We're not grumbling, you win some you lose some.

"But the NRL does take money from sports betting now and you would think there would be some rules in place that he is obligated to take the kick. It's something that should be looked at."

TAB Sportsbet said they were unaffected by the controversy, having set their line at 42.5 points.

Chaos
20-08-07, 11:07 PM
Kicking Angers Punters

By Steve Mascord

August 20, 2007 12:00am

"We had the total points line set at 41.5 and we had laid the unders big time," Centrebet spokesman Neil Evans said.

"When they scored it brought it to 40 points, kick to come. He has decided not to take the kick and it has cost us $50,000. We're not grumbling, you win some you lose some.

"But the NRL does take money from sports betting now and you would think there would be some rules in place that he is obligated to take the kick. It's something that should be looked at."

Pull your head in Neil Evans...the players should have every option whether to take the kick or not.

The were so many factors in the game that could change the outcome and we're not going to change the rules to suit your total points line.

I hope Centrebet as a whole doesn't share your opinion...you muppet!