PDA

View Full Version : Round 20: South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Gold Coast Titans

Queenslander
26-06-07, 12:30 PM
South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Gold Coast Titans
Telstra Stadium, Saturday 28th July, 7:30PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx15369.jpgvshttp://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg

If you are getting to the game join the Southern Legion: http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10240

Referee: Gavin Badger

Team Notes:

Rabbitohs

- Scott Geddes is added to the Rabbitohs bench.

Titans

- Chris Walker has been promoted to the starting side.

- Preston Campbell has been moved from fullback to five-eighth and Matthew Hilder drops back to the bench.

- Anthony Laffranchi returns from injury in the second row with Gavin Cooper moving back to the bench.

- Both sides are two points outside the top eight on 18 points and a loss for either side will see them drop out of Finals contention.

- Nathan Friend has been charged by the Judiciary for a grade three high tackle and will now miss the game.

Teams:

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_10.gif

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Fetuli Talanoa
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Shannon Hegarty
5. Paul Mellor
6. Ben Rogers
7. Eddie Paea
8. Peter Cusack (c)
9. Issac Luke
10. Roy Asotasi (c)
11. John Sutton
12. David Fa’alogo
13. Dean Widders

Interchange:

14. Shane Rigon
15. Luke Stuart
16. Shannan McPherson
17. Scott Geddes
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif
1. Chris Walker
2. Jake Webster
3. Luke O'Dwyer
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Preston Campbell
7. Josh Lewis
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. Nathan Friend
10. Ian Donnelly
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain
Interchange:
14. Matthew Hilder
15. Daniel Conn
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Josh Graham
18. Kris Kahler
20. James Stosic (two to be omitted)

Cowboy Titan
24-07-07, 02:35 PM
Gold Coast Titans:

1. Chris Walker,
2. Jake Webster,
3. Luke O'Dwyer,
4. Brett Delaney,
5. Smith Samau,
6. Preston Campbell,
7. Josh Lewis,
8. Luke Bailey (c),
9. Nathan Friend,
10. Ian Donnelly,
11. Anthony Laffranchi,
12. Mark Minichiello,
13. Luke Swain.

Subs:

14. Matthew Hilder,
15. Daniel Conn,
16. Gavin Cooper,
17. Josh Graham,
18. Kris Kahler,
20. James Stosic, (two to be omitted).

South Sydney Rabbitohs:

Cowboy Titan
24-07-07, 02:37 PM
Titans make date with judiciary

The Gold Coast Titans will challenge charges made against two of their players at the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night.

Prop Ian Donnelly was handed a grade one contrary conduct charge for an alleged grapple tackle, while hooker Nathan Friend will attempt to have his grade three careless high tackle offence downgraded.

Both Donnelly and Friend would have taken one-week suspensions had they entered early guilty pleas.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/24/1986816.htm?section=sport

Cowboy Titan
24-07-07, 02:40 PM
WALKER IN STARTING SIDE FOR TITANS

Tuesday 24 Jul 2007 13:14
by Matthew O'Neill

http://www.rleague.com/images/uploads/887_img.jpg

Chris Walker has been promoted to the starting side for Gold Coast's crunch match against South Sydney on Saturday night at Telstra Stadium.

Walker came off the interchange bench in his return match to the NRL against the Bulldogs last week after breaking his wrist following the Titans opening match in Round 1 and than landing himself in hot water after an off-field incident.

Preston Campbell has been moved from fullback to five-eighth and Matthew Hilder drops back to the bench.

Both sides are two points outside the top eight on 18 points and a loss for either side will see them drop out of Finals contention.

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Gold Coast Titans
Saturday 28th July
Telstra Stadium
7:30pm

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=28720

patskE
24-07-07, 02:43 PM
w00t campbell in 5/8
YEHYA

patskE
24-07-07, 02:44 PM
y is stosic 20? who was 19.?
goo to see mini n laffanci back 2gether
mini would of really gained some exp from laffancaci being away i rkn.

lets hope walker has a great game forcing carty some headaches for when prince comes bak!

jenwood
24-07-07, 02:46 PM
Great to see Preston at 5/8. Gives him a chance to get his confidence back without so much pressure on him at fullback. :clap:

Steve
24-07-07, 02:54 PM
It's a good looking side this week.

Hopefully the lads get off the charges, I guess if they weren't confident they wouldn't be fighting it. I've got my fingers crossed Preston has a blinder back in a more familiar role, and Walker shows the form he did at the start of the season. He seemed to do damn well at the Jets, so i'm confident he can fire!

Queenslander
24-07-07, 03:01 PM
If there was any game that we had to win this year than this is it for the Coast. I am glad that changes have been made now all we have to do is just win.

lonegull
24-07-07, 03:27 PM
also good to see odywer back in the centres

patskE
24-07-07, 03:28 PM
so going to this game
go there half pissed drink a few there then go out after, shall be a good night
esp if we win!

Souths'n'Titans
24-07-07, 04:21 PM
Luke will drop Bailey and co. on his head

The tits are a joke now, Souths by 50.

Capital_Shark
24-07-07, 04:31 PM

I thought he just got back from a couple weeks on the side line for doing that to a Storm player? Kid must be a slow learner. Probably a Redfern thing.

Souths'n'Titans
24-07-07, 04:45 PM
1 week...and he is 80kg's of pure muscle willing to drop anyone not in crimson and myrtle.

patskE
24-07-07, 04:56 PM
souths would win it in the forwards, my backs > theirs i rkn
but with laffanci bak, he lead the charge with bull

Boofhead
24-07-07, 04:59 PM
Strong looking team, should do the job.

Will be good to see Walker running out in the 1 jersey again!

Rage
24-07-07, 05:34 PM
:woot: Walker as fullback!

but what about the lack of defense in the halves preston and lewis?

Hoppy2007Dragons
24-07-07, 06:07 PM
Issac Luke to drop the tits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your back are you, i suppose thats because the souths managed to scrap a win together, luke bailey got shoulder by williams in the last game, and got back up and kept running.

If i was bailey i would tell Luke to bring it, bailey is the toughest bloke going around.

BRING IT I SAY, BRING IT.

Hoppy2007Dragons
24-07-07, 06:10 PM
Laffranchi should be pumped up for this game, he was in top form when he left, and i'm sure he wil lwant to make up for lost time.

Titans by 13.

Dragons
24-07-07, 07:07 PM
Good to see Walker at fullback, but still think Preston should come of the bench.

Go_The_Doggies
24-07-07, 07:36 PM
Ah Issac Luke.

Why did the Bulldogs let him go *shakes head*

dean
24-07-07, 07:46 PM

WANKER!!!

Ryan
24-07-07, 07:52 PM
WANKER!!!

Straight to the point :clap:

Funny though, declaring half of his username is a joke: "Souths 'n' Joke"
Not uncommon to see those too words so close together ...

dean
24-07-07, 07:53 PM
Presto to 5/8,Walker to fullback, looks like Carty does read the forum. YeeHaa!!! :woot:

Ryan
24-07-07, 07:58 PM
1 week...and he is 80kg's of pure muscle willing to drop anyone not in crimson and myrtle.

It seems he has about 26kg of muscle to make up for if wants to challenge Bailey......
Good luck to him, and his pre-booked flight to DISNEYLAND! :woot:

C-Whiz
24-07-07, 08:27 PM

You are the biggest joke I think I have seen on this forum. What sort of d***head calls himself Souths'n'Titans and then bags one of them the way you have? Maybe you've had both of these guys dropped on your head?

PROMETHEUS
24-07-07, 08:35 PM
Been sniffing petrol again?

Bet you wernt born when soufs last won...:rolf:

Titanium_BD1103
24-07-07, 08:35 PM
People... lets not let the fisherman get the better of you all... ;)

As for Issac, I agree with Kim... why did we let him go.... he was so good in juniors for the Dogs, and then management let him go... it is one of the few times I'd be critical of the blue and white management, but yeah... he was a good kid... who is now going well in the red and green.

Good luck to Issac.. but he won't be the reason Souths win... it will take more than just one player for Souths to win, they will all have to come and play... and with Laffranchi and Walker in the side, I think this could be more a tussle than our fisherman might think... ;)

Capital_Shark
24-07-07, 08:39 PM
Fisherman? Thats an insult to the rest of us. Fisherman use decent bait and stick it in for the long haul. This twat just puts a bit of rabbit droppings on a hook, drops it in and leave before the fish realise he's got nothin.

Souths'n'Titans
24-07-07, 08:50 PM
Fisherman? Thats an insult to the rest of us. Fisherman use decent bait and stick it in for the long haul. This twat just puts a bit of rabbit droppings on a hook, drops it in and pisses off before the fish realise he's got nothin.
hahahahhaha....quality mate.

Souths'n'Titans
24-07-07, 08:52 PM
Asotasi to kill Preston.

Delaney...delaney...J-Lo is coming to knock the <I have a dirty mouth> out of you. (if he was playing)

Coaster
24-07-07, 09:13 PM
Asotasi to kill Preston.

Delaney...delaney...J-Lo is coming to knock the <I have a dirty mouth> out of you. (if he was playing)

Haha here i was feeling a bit off that most of our team are ****roaches.

Then this bloke comes on who barracks for South Island Rabbitoes

Chaos
24-07-07, 09:21 PM
If there was any game that we had to win this year than this is it for the Coast. I am glad that changes have been made now all we have to do is just win.

Your right Queenslander...we really need this one and I have a strong feeling the boys will fire up.

Congratulations Cartwright...I believe you have choosen the best team with the available players.

Coaster
24-07-07, 09:24 PM
Heh i didnt even notice the side was up, yup that is a good side.

Good luck boys

Souths'n'Titans
24-07-07, 09:25 PM
Walker makes Hegarty look like a superstar.

He will choke like Mumma Cas.

Queenslander
24-07-07, 09:27 PM
Walker makes Hegarty look like a superstar.

He will choke like Mumma Cas.

What spoon would you like to stir with Souths'n'Titans?

http://z.about.com/d/goeasteurope/1/5/J/3/-/-/LatviaSpoons.jpg

You South supporters must have alot laying around

Souths'n'Titans
24-07-07, 09:29 PM
Probably one to go with the 20 premiership trophies...is there one to suit it? Not too sure.

Capital_Shark
24-07-07, 10:00 PM
hahahahhaha....quality mate.

Thanks, I do try. A little recognition goes a long way.

As for this game, now the threads are merged, I think I'll have to go with Souths. They've got some of the best defense at their disposal (whether they implement it or not on Saturday is another thing) and without Prince the Titans will struggle for the creativity and touch of class in their attack to crack it. Lewis and Campbell are no slouches but they're no Princes either. And stand no chance unless Campbell finds his spark again.

Laffranchi will be a massive boost for the Titans, especially if Minichiello keeps up his form and doesn't slip into Laffranchi's shadow again. Donnelly is a serial offender with the grapple and will most likely be accompanying Friend on the sidelines this week, so that'll hurt 'em. Bailey is good but Asotasi is better.

50 is a stretch, I don't know if Souths have scored more than 30 in 2 matches back to back this year. I'll go 'em 1-12 though.

squirrell
24-07-07, 10:11 PM
quote.....Asotasi to kill Preston.
What on earth is all this nonsense?you must be one of the only ones who enjoyed what that clown j-lo did to delaney cos pea brain i think youll find he probably cost the bunnies the game at carrara,i was there and you were on a roll mate.Not too smart and i bet the souths management didnt pat him on the back afterwards either.Grow up,you want 2 points or a 1 second punch?

Chaos
24-07-07, 10:13 PM
Lewis and Campbell are no slouches but they're no Princes either. And stand no chance unless Campbell finds his spark again.

I know we don't have Prince but I do believe Lewis and Campbell can outplay the Souths halves.

squirrell
24-07-07, 10:15 PM
i agree,just worried that they'll be targeted by the bunnies forwards,im hoping campbell switches in defense,maybe with webster.

Chaos
24-07-07, 10:18 PM
i agree,just worried that they'll be targeted by the bunnies forwards,im hoping campbell switches in defense,maybe with webster.

Campbell isn't that bad of a defender...he just has the risk of getting injured because he puts his head in the wrong way.

Lewis has a bad habit of grabbing but I believe has the ability to be a good defender.

Capital_Shark
24-07-07, 10:21 PM
I know we don't have Prince but I do believe Lewis and Campbell can outplay the Souths halves.

No doubt I'd take Campbell and Lewis over Rogers and Paea, and they will out play them I think. I just don't know if they'll be able to crack the Souths defense often enough. I reckon the Titans leak more points.

Chaos
24-07-07, 10:27 PM
No doubt I'd take Campbell and Lewis over Rogers and Paea, and they will out play them I think. I just don't know if they'll be able to crack the Souths defense often enough. I reckon the Titans leak more points.

We only need to score three tries against Souths

Capital_Shark
24-07-07, 10:37 PM
We only need to score three tries against Souths

Easier said then done though. I really think when Souths are on in defense its almost second to none in the comp. Admittedly they do lack point scoring ability, but have shown some good signs when they move it around. Their forwards might do enough to clinch it for them. I don't expect a big score either way though. I'm tipping Souths, but with my recent form, not with a great deal of confidence.

Chaos
24-07-07, 10:53 PM
Easier said then done though. I really think when Souths are on in defense its almost second to none in the comp. Admittedly they do lack point scoring ability, but have shown some good signs when they move it around. Their forwards might do enough to clinch it for them. I don't expect a big score either way though. I'm tipping Souths, but with my recent form, not with a great deal of confidence.

We should have the feed for at least 5 scrums...I reckon we could score 3 out of 5 set plays.

Capital_Shark
24-07-07, 10:56 PM
We should have the feed for at least 5 scrums...I reckon we could score 3 out of 5 set plays.

lol maybe. I'd hope Carty has more than a couple scrum plays and an ounce of hope up his sleeve though.

Hoppy2007Dragons
25-07-07, 09:50 AM
Put laffranchi next to lewis and minichello next to cambell in the defense line, and give them both a task, no one tramples the halves. Got it.

bigjim
25-07-07, 12:02 PM
No ifs, buts or maybes, we will win this game.

Go Titans.

patskE
25-07-07, 01:19 PM
Put laffranchi next to lewis and minichello next to cambell in the defense line, and give them both a task, no one tramples the halves. Got it.

yep thats wat i would do
put em enxt to the 2 best defenders

Canberra_Titan
25-07-07, 01:20 PM
We will win this one, GO THE TITANS!!!!

Tamwelg
25-07-07, 04:25 PM

Good call, a bit like Tony Carroll next to Lockyer.

Capital_Shark
25-07-07, 04:34 PM
Good call, a bit like Tony Carroll next to Lockyer.

Hmm.. Hope Tonie Carroll is next to Lockyer next Sunday during the Sharks match..

Queenslander
25-07-07, 05:15 PM
Titans must nullify Merritt: Minichiello

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:05 PM

Titans back-rower Mark Minichiello fears South Sydney's electrifying fullback Nathan Merritt will rip Gold Coast to shreds if they don't stiffen their defence this weekend.

With the Rabbitohs and Titans sitting on 18 competition points, just a win outside the top eight, the NRL clash at Telstra Stadium on Saturday shapes as critical for both teams' finals prospects.

Minichiello insists the injury-ravaged Titans aren't low on confidence following four consecutive defeats but, after conceding 92 points in their past two games, he admits their defence needs to be rock-solid against the Bunnies.

"I think our confidence is pretty good," the City Origin representative told AAP.

"I don't think we're down in the dumps or sulking with our heads down.

"It'll just take one win to get a second wind. We're ready to go."

Merritt was superb at fullback in the Rabbitohs' 20-14 victory over North Queensland on Sunday when he made 14 runs for 121 metres, busted nine tackles and contributed to a line break.

"He's great in open space and being at fullback just gives him more room to move," former Rabbitoh Minichiello pointed out.

"If your kick-chase isn't up in one line he's going to cut you in two.

"He's the type of player who sniffs around the ruck for any half-breaks and he pounces on them.

"We've got to watch him this week. He's going to pop up everywhere around the ruck and our defence has to be solid."

The return of star forward Anthony Laffranchi from a serious knee injury is a major fillip for the Titans, who are missing a stack of key players including former Kangaroos halfback Scott Prince (collarbone).

"It's a bit of a different feel having him back because he was so strong for us before he got injured (on June 23)," coach John Cartwright said.

"I don't want to put any pressure on Anthony. He's coming back from a pretty bad injury and he has to get his own game right.

"I definitely know he'll be leading from the front. He's only had the four weeks off so he'll be ripping in."

Cartwright has worked hard at training this week on fixing the defensive lapses that have plagued the Titans over the past fortnight.

"Hopefully we've come up with a solution," he said. "We just can't give away as many clean breaks as we did last week (in a 36-12 loss to the Bulldogs)."

In a further blow to the Titans, winger Matt Petersen underwent an arthroscope on his knee but it is hoped he'll be sidelined for just two weeks.

Interestingly, the Rabbitohs are yet to register a win under whistle-blower Gavin Badger, who is a South Sydney juniors referee.
Source: AAP

Queenslander
25-07-07, 05:17 PM
Rabbitohs v Titans Preview

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:47 AM

Although there are six games still till the finals you could almost say the winner of this game has given themselves a real hope of qualifying, while the loser will be one step closer to falling off the tightrope.

It’s team nine (South Sydney) against team 10 (Gold Coast) and both sit on 18 competition points, just a win outside the top eight.

The Rabbitohs fought hard to grind out an impressive 20-14 win over the Cowboys last start and will be feeling confident while the Titans have now lost four in a row – the last two losses by big margins against the Raiders and Bulldogs leaving their confidence at an all-time low.

With Scott Prince still injured the Titans aren’t the same side – although this week they finally welcome back star player Anthony Laffranchi and they have also named Chris Walker at fullback after he made a successful comeback off the bench last week.

This moves Preston Campbell to five-eighth and Matt Hilder to the bench.

Coach John Cartwright has also brought Luke O’Dwyer into the centres, sending Josh Graham back to the bench.

The make-up of their side could easily change, with both Nathan Friend and Ian Donnelly trying their luck at the judiciary tonight (Wednesday) in a bid to play in this crucial encounter.

Should they fail in their quest, the test will be all the more difficult for the competition’s new boys as they look to qualify for the finals in their first year.

The Rabbitohs are still very much in the finals frame and are on track for the best ever season since 1999 (10 wins) and their first post-season appearance since 1989.

Jason Taylor has given young halfback Eddie Paea another crack at halfback after his impressive effort against the Cowboys, leaving Jeremy Smith to fight his way back from the lower grades while the same can be said for David Peachey after Nathan Merritt carved up from fullback.

Taylor has named only two changes, with Manase Manoukafoa and Eddy Pettybourne making way off the bench for Shannon McPherson and Scott Geddes.

Watch out Rabbitohs: While some of his team-mates struggle with consistency, Titans captain Luke Bailey is leading by example.

Even with his side getting a pasting from the Bulldogs, Bailey made 19 runs for 179 metres, 49 tackles, two line breaks and two tries in 73 minutes.

The former Dragons prop is averaging 67 minutes a game in 2007 – no mean feat for a bookend – and is pumping out an average 17.5 runs for 154.1 metres and 32.2 tackles in his time on the paddock.

Watch out Titans: The move to put Nathan Merritt back to fullback paid immediate dividends for the Bunnies as the electrifying attacking whiz provided 14 runs for 121 metres, busted nine tackles and contributed a nice line break.

Merritt will only get better with more time in the custodian’s jersey and with a licence to support ball-playing forwards like Roy Asotasi, fans should expect to see Merritt in open spaces more often.

Where it will be won: The Titans have to muscle up in the middle and give Bailey a hand if they are to win this one.

The Rabbitohs have shown their hand by selecting plenty of big-bopping forwards, knowing that the lack of size in the Titans pack is a problem for the Gold Coast boys.

The return of Laffranchi will definitely boost the Titans but if Donnelly and Friend are out, they are very thin in the engine room.

Bailey, Laffranchi and Donnelly are the only fit Titans forwards to average over 100 metres a game.

They are already the least dangerous side in the competition from dummy half and the same can be said for attacking from long range – although maybe Walker can spark something for them.

For Souths, it may well be a case of how well young Eddie Paea can play two weeks in a row.

If he can spark the Souths still half-dormant attack, then they should be able to get the points at home.

The History: Played 1; Rabbitohs 0, Titans 1. There was plenty of feeling in the round 11 clash earlier this season won by the Titans 25-18, the only match between these two teams in the Titans’ short history.

Conclusion: Both teams have everything to play for but unfortunately the Titans are without their top strength line-up leaving the Bunnies as favourites in this one.

It should still be a cracking affair but there is one “trend” that may stall the Bunnies.

The Rabbitohs are yet to register a win under referee Gavin Badger – who ironically is a South Sydney juniors referee.

No-one is suggesting the whistle-blower is over compensating, just highlighting one of those little hoodoos the league world throws up from time to time.

Match officials: Referee – Gavin Badger; Sideline Officials – Darren Lang & Allen Foster; Video ref – Bill Harrigan.

Televised: FoxSports 3 – Live 7.30pm

Source: NRL

Titanium_BD1103
25-07-07, 06:36 PM
According to Channel 7 news... this game could be in for quite a twist... with Mat Rogers ready to return from injury sooner than expected... :)

He will have tests later on this week but if he passes them, then he could be a late inclusion to the side this weekend.... :D :D

I reckon that gives us a real chance of giving the Rabbits a tough game.... Rogers is X factor plus and will give the side more confidence if he does play.

Blunt_Beno
25-07-07, 06:54 PM
id put some focus on eddie paea and issac luke, they remind me a lot of the likes of preston and matty bowen. small fast and know when and when not to pass. could be a big danger

patskE
25-07-07, 07:08 PM
luke is a gun player
but paea looked sooooo bad in defence jsut run at him all day

DIEHARD
25-07-07, 07:32 PM
This isn't going to be an ordinary game, we might be striving for a Finals berth in our first year, but Souths are looking for their first Finals appearance since the 1980s.

They are going to be fired up and they won't give up.

Zetland Zoo
25-07-07, 08:29 PM
This isn't going to be an ordinary game, we might be striving for a Finals berth in our first year, but Souths are looking for their first Finals appearance since the 1980s.

They are going to be fired up and they won't give up.Got that right Chucky. Good Luck you are gonna need it.

PROMETHEUS
25-07-07, 08:33 PM
Souths with Crowes money remind me of that old saying:
"You cant wrap a turd in gold paper"

PROMETHEUS
25-07-07, 08:35 PM
Probably one to go with the 20 premiership trophies...is there one to suit it? Not too sure.

Living in the past hey?

I repeat,can you remember when soufs last won?

Zetland Zoo
25-07-07, 08:36 PM
Souths with Crowes money remind me of that old saying:
"You cant wrap a turd in gold paper"Yes you can, but it will still smell. What is your point? Are you trying to say that Souths are worthless? Because Souths have more than Crowe will ever bring us.

Zetland Zoo
25-07-07, 08:37 PM
Living in the past hey?

I repeat,can you remember when soufs last won?If he can't I can. Can you remember when a team from the Gold Coast threatened to last more than a few years?

Souths'n'Titans
25-07-07, 09:15 PM
If he can't I can. Can you remember when a team from the Gold Coast threatened to last more than a few years?
Nup, and this franchise is no different.

Tamwelg
25-07-07, 09:21 PM
If he can't I can. Can you remember when a team from the Gold Coast threatened to last more than a few years?

The answer to that is simple, the Gold Coast Titans.

Nup, and this franchise is no different.

You have got to be kidding right!

Obviously you are not really following the progress of the club. I was speaking to a business owner on the weekend who has been trying to get a corporate box at Skilled Park next year and they are all gone. With the corporate backing and a large fan base(evident by having second highest crowd attendance this season), I'm sure the Titans are here to stay.

Souths'n'Titans
25-07-07, 09:28 PM
The tits are kidding themselves.

They are just going to be used for pleasure, 80 mins a weekend and thrown out soon after, moving on.

Souths'n'Titans
25-07-07, 09:31 PM
On Sportstab Head to Head,
South Sydney $1.45
Gold Coast $2.65

On Sportsbet Head to Head,
South Sydney $1.47
Gold Coast $2.70

We are giving them 6.5 start

I can predict the future, so can the odd setters.

Capital_Shark
25-07-07, 09:40 PM
Nostridamus? Pitty your crystal doesn't have spell check.

DIEHARD
25-07-07, 09:45 PM
Just to let everyone know, we are not going to allow users to come here merely just to start flame wars or bait and fish, also we expect our clubs fans not to take any bait.

We will be keeping an eye on it. And anyone guilty will get a week's time out.

We appreciate users from other teams signing up but be productive. I don't want to see these endless circular arguements over which team is better or sucks the most.

Hoppy2007Dragons
25-07-07, 09:52 PM
What do u excpet mate, its redfern, the government has to do somethign to get your unearned money back in their coffers, like giving souths good odds so you all place your bets then lose.

Zetland Zoo
25-07-07, 10:23 PM
Just to let everyone know, we are not going to allow users to come here merely just to start flame wars or bait and fish, also we expect our clubs fans not to take any bait.

We will be keeping an eye on it. And anyone guilty will get a week's time out.

We appreciate users from other teams signing up but be productive. I don't want to see these endless circular arguements over which team is better or sucks the most.Fair enough DH but, I find it hard not to react to boneheaded comments. I came here to defend one of your players only and then got sucked in. I will ignore the boneheaded comments from now on.

patskE
25-07-07, 11:00 PM
friend is out, ian is in but
this mean amos in? or hilder goes to hooker, or ever campbell?

Chaos
25-07-07, 11:06 PM

I can see you got the idea from the Lockyer/Carroll situation but if a player defends in the one position he is still easy to attack, no matter who's beside him.
The ball player just draws the good defender and hits a big running forward at the weeker defender.

I prefer to see smaller players have freedom in defense. They should be chasing and annoying the attacking structure.

Big J
26-07-07, 09:22 AM
I can see you got the idea from the Lockyer/Carroll situation but if a player defends in the one position he is still easy to attack, no matter who's beside him.
The ball player just draws the good defender and hits a big running forward at the weeker defender.

I prefer to see smaller players have freedom in defense. They should be chasing and annoying the attacking structure.

I'm with you Chaos. On top of that as good a season as Minichiello is having he was guilty of 2 awful missed tackles that led to tries last week when he was left grasping at thin air when players got just to his outside.

Coaster
26-07-07, 09:54 AM
I'm with you Chaos. On top of that as good a season as Minichiello is having he was guilty of 2 awful missed tackles that led to tries last week when he was left grasping at thin air when players got just to his outside.

I feel that was becuase they were defending wrong, forwards should never slide IMO. I have watched that game 3 times now, and there is no mistake the forwards are sliding instead of 'up and in'.

To make matters worse the outside backs were coming 'up and in'

Players were getting in each others way, and nobody was talking.

Lanfrancri will hold the ruck together hopefully, and give more confidence to the players around him. Then guys like Mini and Swain can concentrate on line speed, and aggression.

Big J
26-07-07, 01:07 PM
I feel that was becuase they were defending wrong, forwards should never slide IMO. I have watched that game 3 times now, and there is no mistake the forwards are sliding instead of 'up and in'.

To make matters worse the outside backs were coming 'up and in'

Players were getting in each others way, and nobody was talking.

Lanfrancri will hold the ruck together hopefully, and give more confidence to the players around him. Then guys like Mini and Swain can concentrate on line speed, and aggression.

Fair point Coaster. You must be a glutton for punishment though watching that game 3 times. It hurt like hell watching it once!!!!!

lonegull
26-07-07, 01:18 PM
Minichello did miss a few tackles but i think this was due to his workrate with laffranchi back this eases the pressure around the middle of the rucks on mini

Blunt_Beno
26-07-07, 06:33 PM
any ideas who will be at hooker? im pressuming hilder will be? or maybe preston will get moved there and hilder back into the halves?

Chaos
26-07-07, 07:11 PM
any ideas who will be at hooker? im pressuming hilder will be? or maybe preston will get moved there and hilder back into the halves?

Surely they trained someone else in hooker other then Friend during the week...I'd assume Preston would have stayed at 5/8 otherwise all backline plays would be affected.

Chaos
26-07-07, 07:56 PM
No...you guys are now seeing the REAL Mini.

He is a disgrace of a player.

Aren't you a good judge of the game.
Maybe the Titans should hire you to recruit young talent!

Coaster
26-07-07, 08:17 PM
Aren't you a good judge of the game.
Maybe the Titans should hire you to recruit young talent!

I would be bitter also, after we have been given what is it now 4 attempts at the NRL, and they have been trying to kick souths out every year since 1998 :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would have no idea why?

maybe the nrl have mental pictures

Hmm :rolleyes: :rolleyes: let me think

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/coasterphotos15/goldcoast.jpg

vs

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/coasterphotos15/Redfern_injury.jpg

:rolf: :rolf:

Tamwelg
27-07-07, 05:58 AM
Source: www.goldcoast.com.au

Luke Turgeon

27Jul07

GAMEBREAKER Mat Rogers is set for a shock return to the Gold Coast Titans backline for tomorrow's must win encounter with Souths.

The star centre was not named in the side to take on the Rabbitohs earlier this week but The Bulletin understands Rogers will suit up for the Gold Coast after recovering well from an extensive training run on Tuesday.

With his left knee heavily strapped, Rogers chimed into backline movements and looked dangerously sharp just four weeks after fracturing his kneecap against the Warriors.

Rogers was pencilled in to be out for six weeks. But a vigorous rehabilitation program under trainer Billy Johnstone has the dual international on the verge of an early comeback.

Rogers will be assessed further at a field training run today and at this stage will travel with the rest of the team to Sydney.

"We will check him (today)," said coach John Cartwright yesterday.

"We will give him as long as it takes.

"He is in consultation with the doctor and the physio and Mat will make a decision (if he will play) either (today) or Saturday."

The return of Rogers is a massive boost for the Titans, who also regain tireless backrower Anthony Laffranchi, as they aim to snap a four-game losing streak. The 31-year-old will add much needed experience and guidance to the Titans backline with co-captain Scott Prince still sidelined with a collarbone injury. Cartwright said Prince was still a week away from making his comeback.

"He is getting close but we have just got to keep him in cotton wool," said Cartwright.

"If it was the last game of the year and we had to win, maybe we would play him but we have still got a lot of footy to play."

Before Rogers' injury, he had amassed 12 line breaks to be ranked the third most elusive player in the NRL.

Only flying winger Matt Petersen, who played outside Rogers before he too suffered a knee injury, has scored more tries for the Titans.

Rogers is also the club's leading points scorer (72), having kicked 20 conversions to add to his eight-try haul so far this season.

It is unclear whether Rogers will resume his goal kicking responsibilities this weekend.

Gold Coast-product Clint Amos has been called into the squad for suspended hooker Nathan Friend.

Prop Michael Hodgson is a chance to make his comeback from a knee injury should big man James Stosic succumb to an ankle injury suffered at training on Tuesday.

lonegull
27-07-07, 07:43 AM
great news, matty adds that X factor

Queenslander
27-07-07, 07:46 AM
Just last night on channel ten news Mat all but ruled himself out of the upcoming game, I am glad he has changed his mind.

Capital_Shark
27-07-07, 01:41 PM
Coaster that above post was a pisser. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Social Loafer
27-07-07, 01:59 PM
Caption Time..

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/coasterphotos15/Redfern_injury.jpg

Rabbitohs fans were so confused at being a chance of making the top 8 (A feeling unkown to most fans) that they didn't know how to react- AAP

jenny
27-07-07, 02:17 PM
Comeon Girls thats enough already...:hissyfit" :dummyspit:

Blunt_Beno
27-07-07, 02:55 PM
mat rogers was on the news saying that he wont be playing, it is still sore to run on so if somebody hit his knee he would be worried it would fracture again.
pity. any news on the hooker yet?

Capital_Shark
27-07-07, 02:56 PM
any news on the hooker yet?

She's cheap and dirty mate, I'd steer clear.

Blunt_Beno
27-07-07, 03:01 PM
haha thanks for the tip. but im sure they'll do the job.

Tamwelg
27-07-07, 04:11 PM
Source: www.nrl.com.au

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright is confident Mat Rogers will play against South Sydney at Telstra Stadium but the former Wallaby star isn't so sure.

Rogers has missed the Titans' past three matches - defeats to Brisbane, Canberra and the Bulldogs - after fracturing his knee during a 22-6 NRL loss to the New Zealand Warriors on June 30.

The 10th-placed Titans are walking a tightrope in their quest to make the NRL finals and Rogers is desperate to come back a fortnight early from a knee injury which medical staff initially said would sideline him for six weeks.

"He's confident and the doc says there no reason why he shouldn't play," Cartwright said about Rogers, who trained with the team on Friday in a sharp, 90-minute session.

"We'll ice him up, get him down to Sydney and see how he is (Saturday).

"We're hopeful. He's come through the session and he's had a good week outside of that."

Cartwright said he wouldn't risk playing Rogers if he feared the 31-year-old dual international would break down again.

The coach said he had learnt his lesson after rushing back Titans co-captain Scott Prince against Canberra two weeks ago only to see the classy halfback suffer a recurrence of a collarbone injury that ruled him out for another three weeks.

"We've got six games to play and anything can happen," Cartwright said.

"The medical staff are pretty confident that he'll get through."

A cautious Rogers didn't exactly share that confidence when he spoke to reporters after training on Friday.

"I feel a little bit sore at the minute but if I wait until I'm not sore at all, I could be waiting until next year," he said.

"Fingers crossed I'll be able to play but I'm not holding my breath.

"The knee probably isn't moving as freely as I'd like. It'll probably break again if I get whacked on it.

"Whether the coach wants to risk that against a player who's fit and can play and possibly risk me hurting myself again, it's up to him."

The Titans will welcome back key forward Anthony Laffranchi from a knee injury against the Rabbitohs, who are equal with Gold Coast on 18 competition points.

Rogers admits the lure of an early comeback to help out a team low on confidence has played on his mind.

"It does have some impact (on my decision) but we still have five games after this one so winning or losing this game isn't the be-all and end-all of our season," he noted.

"You have to weigh up the risk versus reward factor I suppose and I haven't played for three weeks.

"I could go out there and play terrible."

Rogers will replace Luke O'Dwyer in the starting line-up if he's passed fit to play against the Rabbitohs.

squirrell
27-07-07, 05:18 PM
Reading into matty"s comment i think give him another week so at least we have him fit instead of a repeat of the princey saga.Id rather have a fit matt for 5 games than not ready for 1 then out for another 3.lukes doing ok in centres at the mo anyway.

Queenslander
27-07-07, 09:20 PM
'Squeeze' still haunts Titans' Delaney

Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:59 PM

It's been two months since Brett Delaney was accused of squeezing an opponent's testicles - and the Gold Coast centre is still constantly reminded of the controversial incident.

South Sydney prop Jaiman Lowe delivered a knockout punch to Delaney in a round 11 NRL match at Carrara on May 26, claiming the Titan had grabbed his testicles nearing fulltime.

Lowe was sent off for the offence - later described by Titans coach John Cartwright as a "gutless cheap shot" - as Gold Coast won the match 25-18.

He copped a four-match suspension for the king-hit while Delaney escaped any charge due to a lack of evidence but was left with concussion and a deep gash to his head.

The Titans will take on the Rabbitohs at Telstra Stadium on Saturday night but Lowe (hand injury) won't have the chance to exact revenge on Delaney, who has denied any wrongdoing.

"I've been copping flak every week," Delaney said.

"I just laugh so it doesn't get to me. The crowds down in Sydney might say a couple of things.

"It's quite funny sometimes when there's a break in play and you can hear it."

Rabbitohs fans are certain to send Delaney some vitriolic barbs but he isn't fazed.

To his credit Delaney hasn't shied away from the issue, waiting patiently to answer questions from the media after his teammates had left training.

"I knew this would come up, let's not beat around the bush," he said.

"That was a bit of hiccup but I played the next week and he (Lowe) didn't so it's his loss.

"I've got a little scar there. I'll just get on with things."

Delaney said he had cleared the air with Rabbitohs coach Jason Taylor, who had accused the Titans three-quarter of deliberately targeting Lowe's testicles to ensure he reacted.

"I spoke to JT a couple of days afterwards," recalled Delaney, who knows Taylor from their days together at Parramatta.

"He rang me and sorted it all out. I understand now why he said what he said.

"We've cleared it all up."

When asked whether he still held a grudge against Lowe, Delaney was less diplomatic.

"Well, I didn't hear from him and that was a bit disappointing," he commented.

"At the end of the day he got four weeks (suspension). Someone told me he's not playing now so it doesn't really bother me."

A hand injury is keeping Lowe on the sideline.

Delaney - who is friends with Souths trio Dean Widders, Ben Rogers and Jeremy Smith - said he had put the saga to bed.

"After a couple of weeks I was over it. It's long gone now," he added.

But the Rabbitohs faithful, and most likely the players, aren't going to let him forget it that easily.

Queenslander
27-07-07, 09:20 PM
Titans vow to lift for Rabbitohs clash

Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:29 PM

With Gold Coast's NRL season virtually on the line against South Sydney on Saturday night, the players formed a huddle after training on Friday and vowed to plug the holes in their leaking defence.

Having conceded a massive 92 points and missed 81 tackles in their last two matches, the Titans have their backs against the wall heading into the round 20 clash at Telstra Stadium.

"It's win at all costs for us," said inspirational prop Luke Bailey, who made a passionate address to the players after a sharp, 90-minute training session.

Key forward Anthony Laffranchi (knee) returns from a four-week lay-off but it's uncertain whether dual international Mat Rogers (knee) will come back two weeks earlier than expected.

"The knee probably isn't moving as freely as I'd like," a cautious Rogers told reporters.

"It'll probably break again if I get whacked on it.

"Whether the coach wants to risk that against a player who's fit and can play and possibly risk me hurting myself again, it's up to him."

Bailey revealed the players spoke about turning around their woeful defence to help set them back on course for an historic NRL finals berth following four straight losses.

"It wasn't a big heart-to-heart, just mentioning a few basics that we need to do," said Bailey, adding he was looking forward to confronting outstanding Rabbitohs prop Roy Asotasi.

"Looking at last week's game (a 36-12 defeat against the Bulldogs) it looked pretty ordinary but watching the video, it wasn't too bad.

"It was just three or four defensive lapses that let in easy tries.

"We've addressed them at training during the week and it's just a matter of having confidence in each other.

"Everyone seemed pumped over there (in the huddle) so it's a good feeling."

Rogers said the Titans were frustrated that people were claiming they had overachieved in their inaugural season.

"We feel like we've underachieved," said Rogers, who has been sidelined for three matches.

"The frustrating thing is that people don't think we're as good as what we think we are.

"When you get criticised and people say we've overachieved, that's what burns inside and that's what fires players to succeed."

In a bid to add attacking spark to an outfit missing playmaker Scott Prince (collarbone), coach John Cartwright has shifted fullback Preston Campbell to five-eighth and handed Chris Walker the No.1 jersey.

Cartwright defended the form of Campbell, who has lacked confidence since returning from a serious knee injury four weeks ago, blaming the Titans' form slump on the inability of the forwards to muscle up.

"Our forwards have been under the pump and we haven't had any domination," said Cartwright, whose team has a horrible 2-6 away record.

"You can't expect a bloke who's five foot four and 75 kilos to do a job for us. He needs a bit of a platform to work from but I can see improvement in him every week."

On the flip side the little men have been in superb form for the Rabbitohs, with hooker Issac Luke, fullback Nathan Merritt and rookie halfback Eddie Paea terrorising their opponents.

PROMETHEUS
28-07-07, 12:22 AM

Maybe you should reconsider if you want to be on this site,considering your forum name you dont seem to be a fan.:clap:

Blunt_Beno
28-07-07, 12:30 PM
Maybe you should reconsider if you want to be on this site,considering your forum name you dont seem to be a fan.:clap:

well said prometheus :clap:

Blunt_Beno
28-07-07, 12:31 PM
it will be a shame if matty is forced to play, he is obviously not confident about his knee so that will affect his playing style i believe.

Rage
28-07-07, 05:04 PM
my first live titans game! :woot:

TITAN PETE
28-07-07, 07:06 PM

I've just found your real name WAYNE CAR :clap:

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 07:45 PM
Bad start. Hope we get better.

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 07:49 PM
What's happening with kick chase? What's happening with Smith Samua? Very slow start..... where's the urgency?

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 07:51 PM
Not even 10 minutes in and I bet Coaster is throwing furniture around watching this defence....

Robbie_Dee
28-07-07, 08:29 PM
Half time, Titans have turned it around, and lead 10-8!!! Luke Bailey and Mat Rogers both scoring!!!

Come on Titans!!!!!

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 08:33 PM
Half time, Titans have turned it around, and lead 10-8!!! Luke Bailey and Mat Rogers both scoring!!!

Come on Titans!!!!!

Man, I'll take the 2 point half time lead, but I seriously doubt if we really deserve it. We have certainly straightened up a bit from a VERY shaky start, and some of the refereeing has been a bit suspect.... but hey, 2 points ahead is heaps better than 8- nil after 10 minutes!

Go the TITANS!!!!

PUP*23
28-07-07, 08:35 PM
Here's hoping we can keep that 2 point lead and build on it in the second half.

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 08:38 PM
Here's hoping we can keep that 2 point lead and build on it in the second half.

Yeah, we'll get another couple with a bit of luck. Hope we can improve our for and against! We need about a 40 point win! Winning this will make the Tigers game heaps sweeter PUP!

PUP*23
28-07-07, 08:50 PM
don't know where you'getting your results from Queenslander. 48th minute Titans 14 Rabbitohs 8

Queenslander
28-07-07, 08:50 PM
Brett Delaney scores: Titans 14 vs Rabbits 8

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 09:06 PM
Josh Lewis' kicking game has been a highlight! How good has his in-goal placement been? Spot on, I'd say.

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 09:11 PM
4 or 5 sets on their line, a penalty or two, no result! Not good.... why didn't we take the 2?

PUP*23
28-07-07, 09:14 PM
14 All Titans and Rabbitohs 5 1/2 minutes remaining.

Souths'n'Titans
28-07-07, 09:17 PM
Woooooooooooo

cop that tits

PUP*23
28-07-07, 09:19 PM
Full Time Score
Rabittohs 20 Titans 14

South Syndney
Fetuli Talanoa 3m
Eddie Paea 10m
Nigel Vagana 72m
Dean Widders 76m

Nathan Merritt 73m, 77m

Titans
Luke Bailey 26m
Mat Rogers 37m
Brett Delaney 46m

Brett Delaney 27m

Souths'n'Titans
28-07-07, 09:20 PM
Ouch.

Glory, glory to South Sydney!

PUP*23
28-07-07, 09:21 PM
So close, we were up there at one stage but just couldn't keep it there. As Mat Rogers said "heartbreaking".
We'll be ready next round.

Queenslander
28-07-07, 09:21 PM
Woooooooooooo

cop that tits

Funny you didn't post when we beat you back in round 11

It was a close game, nothing to gloat about really.

Souths'n'Titans
28-07-07, 09:22 PM
we won when it counted.

Souths defense is super dooper.

kwigibo
28-07-07, 09:23 PM
cop that tits

Like Donnelly had to cop that swinging arm?

I know losers always bag the ref, but in all honesty, that was a shocker, as was much of the game.

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 09:25 PM
Smith Samau finished the way he started. We lost this in the first 10 minutes, and the last 10 minutes. We had it won for the other 60mins. I'm pretty shattered. I don't know how we didn't win this game. This was ours to be won. We fought back, held on, played well, did everything right, (except take a couple of gift 2 point penalties)......... I'm glad I'm drinking OP rum tonight..... that's all I can say. :cry:

Canberra_Titan
28-07-07, 09:26 PM
:nope:

We stuffed that penalty and should have gone for a kick but the referee tonight was bloody shocking, really couldn't understand some of his calls and he helped cost us the match. South's Defense is Sooper Dooper??? If we were beaten 20-0 I would agree, don't know what game you were watching, your defense was average, ours was sub-par at times and brilliant at others.

Jesus, what a heartbreaker :hissyfit" :cry: , c'mon Titans, lets get a win next game......Please :)

RLfan
28-07-07, 09:28 PM
That is without doubt the most one sided display of reffing I have ever see. Badger mays as well of been reffing ina Souths jersey. Titans couldn't even buy a penalty on a blantant offside from a kick, a cheap punch or even when Souths couldn't be bothered to stand up to play the ball.

Also Mini scored a fair try, Souths stripped it then Mark forced it down.

Other then that Walker & Bailey were exceptional.

Souths'n'Titans
28-07-07, 09:30 PM
The refs fault now...hahha

You blokes had 4 sets on the line and couldn;t score

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 09:32 PM
You can't be serious complaining about badger we have not won under him all year until now. All I can say is I apologise Chris Walker was your best, sad really.

PUP*23
28-07-07, 09:33 PM
We should have taken the penalty kick and got the two points. maybe that would have prevented Widders try that was scored straight after.

I had to listen to the match, don't have pay tv, but i can't say much bout souths defence, sounded pretty average to me. Nothing to outstanding. :duh:

It was a tight match and once again we just came off on the unfortunate side. :cry:

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 09:34 PM
Woooooooooooo

cop that tits

Not that I would blame you for the result, but I will blame your parents for not smacking you often enough.......

Drop the Titans from your name and see if you can find any friends somewhere else. I don't like or want you here...... not while you aren't man enough to at least make a stand on who you support, or at least show some respect for your "second" team.

No, sorry, I just don't want you here.....

Yes, I am bitter. :hissyfit"

Canberra_Titan
28-07-07, 09:34 PM
Mate, how could you not complain about the ref, He put a guy on report but no penalty, an offside disrupting the kick, no penalty. If that is not cause to complain about the ref what is. From what I've read from the other guys posts we are pissed about the reffing but not saying that was the only reason you won.

Canberra_Titan
28-07-07, 09:35 PM
Second that :clap:

Not that I would blame you for the result, but I will blame your parents for not smacking you often enough.......

Drop the Titans from your name and see if you can find any friends somewhere else. I don't like or want you here...... not while you aren't man enough to at least make a stand on who you support, or at least show some respect for your "second" team.

RLfan
28-07-07, 09:35 PM
I am not saying the Titans played super but geez there were some really big/50-50 calls and they all went Souths way.

I thought Walker went great, he set up a try and was the last passer in another.

I don't want to blame Badger for the loss because even if Titans got those calls, the game would of changed and we don't know what happens next. for all I know if the Titans recieved one of the many penalties they should of, Merritt would haved intercepted it and ran 100 metres for the try, then again Titans may have scored a try or penalty goal and sealed the game. There were so many terrible calls aganist Titans.

Queenslander
28-07-07, 09:36 PM

Don't let him get to you mate ;)

Here is a song to cheer us up:

Glory Glory to Badgie
Glory Glory to Badgie
Glory Glory to Badgie
Your refereeing sucks! ;)

meter maid
28-07-07, 09:37 PM
What a shocking display of refereeing by Badger!
I thought at one stage Carty was going to go on the field and strangle him, I know I would have.
It would be worth paying the fine to say just what a disgraceful display of refereeing it was. It certainly cost the Titans the game, and coaches should be allowed to voice their dissatisfaction. Why are the ref's not accountable when they have such a dismal performance?
And please,will someone teach the guys how to tackle??? It's embarrassing!!!:mad:

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 09:41 PM
Don't let him get to you mate ;)

Here is a song to cheer us up:

Glory Glory to Badgie
Glory Glory to Badgie
Glory Glory to Badgie
Your refereeing sucks! ;)

Nice one Queenslander. I wonder what sort of Sydney Harbour Cruise he can look forward too! :)

RLfan
28-07-07, 09:42 PM
The only decent ref is Ben Cummins and I didn't mind Jason Robinson but they shunted him to reserve grade for god knows why.

Queenslander
28-07-07, 09:42 PM
Nice one Queenslander. I wonder what sort of Sydney Harbour Cruise he can look forward too! :)

If Badger walks out of Telstra Stadium with an Armani suit on then we know something is up ;)

HodgoBerro
28-07-07, 09:44 PM
ben cummins? you got to be kidding me.

6 forward passes to the eels on monday night and the team was clearly off side at one point and he was only worried about them being square to the marker!

RLfan
28-07-07, 09:48 PM
He is still consistently the best. I would take him over any other to ref a Broncos, Titans or Origin game. Tell me who is better?

jenny
28-07-07, 09:50 PM
League

Bunnies leave it late
July 28, 2007

SOUTH Sydney scored two tries in the final eight minutes to steal a crucial 20-14 National Rugby League victory over Gold Coast at Telstra Stadium.

The Titans looked to have the game in their keeping after leading 14-8 heading into the final 10 minutes.

But New Zealand international Nigel Vagana scored in the 72nd minute and the conversion levelled the scores at 14-14.

Lock Dean Widders then claimed what seemed an unlikely victory for the home side when he barged over three minutes from full-time after the Titans failed to claim a Ben Rogers midfield bomb.

The win - temporarily at least - puts Souths into eighth position on the ladder, leaving Gold Coast at least two points adrift of a finals spot after a fifth straight loss.

After taking a 10-8 lead at half-time, Gold Coast looked well placed to end its losing streak when centre Brett Delaney crossed just four minutes after the re-start.

However it wasn't to be as the Bunnies' late revival continued the Titans' miserable run of luck.

Titans prop Luke Bailey, who was sensational all night, scored his third try in two games when he seemingly came from nowhere to ground a Chris Walker cross-field kick in the 26th minute.

Centre Mat Rogers, in his first game back from a knee injury, then gave the away team a surprise lead at the break when he scored out wide three minutes from half-time.

Souths looked on track for a big win early on after sprinting to a 8-0 lead.

Winger Fetuli Talanoa scored the opening try in just the third minute when he leapt high over Titan Smith Samau to claim a Ben Rogers kick and plant the ball just inside the touchline.

Rookie halfback Eddie Paea made it 8-0 in the 10th when he brilliantly weaved through some soft Gold Coast defence to score his second try in as many NRL game.

It nearly got worse for the visitors four minutes later when Souths centre Shannon Hegarty cut through, but the Titans were saved by a desperate bootlace tackle from fullback Preston Campbell.

Souths backrow forward David Fa'alogo was placed on report - on the advice of video ref Bill Harrigan - for a forearm on Titan Ian Donnelly in the 17th minute, but bizarrely, referee Gavin Badger did not penalise the Rabbitohs.

"We're not quite sure what happened there, but we're going to put it on report."
Badger said.

AAP

C-Whiz
28-07-07, 09:51 PM
While the NRL continues to protect the refs from scrutiny there will be no honesty about their performance. Why do we bother with video ref "slow-mo" which is slowing the game down to be "certain" about tries etc. if refs are going to to keep making poor decisions in general play. A try will change the scoreline, but poor refereeing changes the whole game.

ps, I don't blame the ref for the TITANS result. It is just refereeing in general.

Consistency is the key.

HodgoBerro
28-07-07, 09:55 PM
He is still consistently the best. I would take him over any other to ref a Broncos, Titans or Origin game. Tell me who is better?

No one is better - they are all just as bad as each other.

RLfan
28-07-07, 09:58 PM
No one is better - they are all just as bad as each other.

Well yeah they are:rolf: , but someone has to ref.

mb63
28-07-07, 10:21 PM
Great effort from the injury ravaged Titans tonight who were stiff not to win.When Donnelly was clobbered terrible decision not to be awarded a penalty.Thought playing Rogers was a silly risk & I hope he pulls up okay as he looked proppy.

Tamwelg
28-07-07, 10:24 PM
Chris Walker

Told ya he'd have a good game

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 10:33 PM
When you lose enough(as you will) you will get over blaming the ref. Even though at times (not this one) they deserve it.

PROMETHEUS
28-07-07, 10:42 PM
When you lose enough(as you will) you will get over blaming the ref. Even though at times (not this one) they deserve it.

You must have experience with that i suppose.

PROMETHEUS
28-07-07, 10:49 PM
we won when it counted.

Souths defense is super dooper.

You are a forum troll and a schizo..why dont you go and have a celebratory swig out of the metho bottle that you bought after begging for change at everleigh street,i hope the powers that be on this forum have you marked.

PROMETHEUS
28-07-07, 10:50 PM

I agree,and second that.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rage
28-07-07, 10:53 PM
really missed scotty prince when we had the 3-4 sets on their line but i still think preston campbell, bull bailey, chris walker and mat rogers were great

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 10:58 PM
Told ya he'd have a good gameI didn't say he had a good game, I said he was your best.

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 10:59 PM
You are a forum troll and a schizo..why dont you go and have a celebratory swig out of the metho bottle that you bought after begging for change at everleigh street,i hope the powers that be on this forum have you marked.
Swig out of the metho bottle in everleigh street? I think it is you with the problem sport.

patskE
28-07-07, 11:00 PM
we missed scott so much
he would of slotted a field goal to seal it

PROMETHEUS
28-07-07, 11:02 PM
Swig out of the metho bottle in everleigh street? I think it is you with the problem sport.

This is a TITANS supporters forum...bugger off.

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 11:02 PM
we missed scott so much
he would of slotted a field goal to seal itFor once I agree with one of you. We deserved to lose and Prince may have sealed it, although you had the chance with the penalty(despite the woeful ref).

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 11:03 PM
This is a TITANS supporters forum...bugger off.When I want intelligent repartee I will

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 11:05 PM
You must have experience with that i suppose.No **** sherlock why do you think I posted it. You are a mental midget.

PROMETHEUS
28-07-07, 11:09 PM
No **** sherlock why do you think I posted it. You are a mental midget.

And you are a minority on this forum...run away and crawl up Crowes rabbit hole.

Canberra_Titan
28-07-07, 11:10 PM
Zetland mate, why don't you go away from this forum. All the fans here are as gutted as I about the loss. I think the ref contributed but we lost it through some bad play in the final ten. We don't need you coming in and rubbing salt in the wounds. Go to the Souths forum and go nuts but grow up and let us vent, it helps ease the heartache. It was a close match and I am still trying to calm down after having my heart broken by the loss. If we had won I wouldn't be on the Souths forum rubbing their nose in it. Well done to Souths for the win but I'd be lying if I said I am glad they won.

Cheers

Canberra_Titan

Canberra_Titan
28-07-07, 11:11 PM
Zetland mate, why don't you go away from this forum. All the fans here are as gutted as I about the loss. I think the ref contributed but we lost it through some bad play in the final ten. We don't need you coming in and rubbing salt in the wounds. Go to the Souths forum and go nuts but grow up and let us vent, it helps ease the heartache. It was a close match and I am still trying to calm down after having my heart broken by the loss. If we had won I wouldn't be on the Souths forum rubbing their nose in it. Well done to Souths for the win but I'd be lying if I said I am glad they won.

Cheers

Canberra_Titan

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 11:15 PM
Canberra I am as gutted as you are, sure we won but a woeful performance by my team. I don't need to grow up, but I will not take **** from obvious child like fans. I originally came here only to support Donnelly and his non grapple tackle, but stayed to view your forum. My responses are only to posts that I found interesting or obnoxious you choose which this is.

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 11:18 PM
Canberra, don't you like typing? I don't like copy and paste.

Canberra_Titan
28-07-07, 11:20 PM
Why should I change what I think of you in a different post. I stand by what I said. If your going to come on and wind us up after a loss you don't belong on the forum. This was an important game for us and to lose it the way we did was terrible. We don't need Rabbitoh's fans coming onto our forum and stirring the pot.

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 11:23 PM
Why should I change what I think of you in a different post. I stand by what I said. If your going to come on and wind us up after a loss you don't belong on the forum. This was an important game for us and to lose it the way we did was terrible. We don't need Rabbitoh's fans coming onto our forum and stirring the pot.I am not here to wind you up. I think Prom is unintelligent and I said so that is all. I think you would have won if you had Prince, so how is that winding you up?

PROMETHEUS
28-07-07, 11:29 PM
And i suppose you'll be on the penrith forum next week,with your insightful,enlightening comments on the game.:duh:

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 11:32 PM
And i suppose you'll be on the penrith forum next week,with your insightful,enlightening comments on the game.:duh:Don't think I will be I don't make a habit of it as I said came here to defend one of your players, but you don't seem to comprehend that. I found one of your posters to be incredibly stupid so thought I would point it out (your friends won't tell you).

Tamwelg
28-07-07, 11:34 PM
Enough

That is enough crapping on off topic, this is the game tread, please keep discussion about the game.

PROMETHEUS
28-07-07, 11:34 PM
Can anyone explain how the souths player got put on report yet we didnt get a penalty?

Zetland Zoo
28-07-07, 11:37 PM
Enough

That is enough crapping on off topic, this is the game tread, please keep discussion about the game.Sorry will be happy to stick to topic, but if you are accusing me of going off topic please let me know.

kwigibo
29-07-07, 12:04 AM
Canberra I am as gutted as you are, sure we won but a woeful performance by my team. I don't need to grow up, but I will not take **** from obvious child like fans. I originally came here only to support Donnelly and his non grapple tackle, but stayed to view your forum. My responses are only to posts that I found interesting or obnoxious you choose which this is.

Funny that you say obnoxious. Do you think maybe a rampant superiority complex that manifests itself in naming us mental midgets and child like fans might not be particularly tactful?

What did you expect? You're quite quick to judge other users here, but act baffled at the reactions you provoke. Maybe you're not so keen a judge of character as you believe yourself to be.

No matter how you gussy up your prose, a troll, for lack of a better word, is still a troll. You're not providing anything of substance to this discussion board by insulting people whose only crime is being passionate in support of their favoured sports franchise. I'm sure they are sorry if this causes you offense, but I hardly think they deserve your vilification. You have every right to post here of course, but don't expect your condescension to be taken with good humour. One might characterize that kind of expectation as child like.

Zetland Zoo
29-07-07, 12:05 AM
Funny that you say obnoxious. Do you think maybe a rampant superiority complex that manifests itself in naming us mental midgets and child like fans might not be particularly tactful?

What did you expect? You're quite quick to judge other users here, but act baffled at the reactions you provoke. Maybe you're not so keen a judge of character as you believe yourself to be.

No matter how you gussy up your prose, a troll, for lack of a better word, is still a troll. You're not providing anything of substance to this discussion board by insulting people whose only crime is being passionate in support of their favoured sports franchise. I'm sure they are sorry if this causes you offense, but I hardly think they deserve your vilification. You have every right to post here of course, but don't expect your condescension to be taken with good humour. One might characterize that kind of expectation as childish.I didn't name you as anything.

Tamwelg
29-07-07, 12:06 AM

No matter how you gussy up your prose, a troll, for lack of a better word, is still a troll. You're not providing anything of substance to this discussion board by insulting people whose only crime is being passionate in support of their favoured sports franchise. I'm sure they are sorry if this causes you offense, but I hardly think they deserve your vilification. You have every right to post here of course, but don't expect your condescension to be taken with good humour. One might characterize that kind of expectation as child like.

Very well put.

Zetland Zoo
29-07-07, 12:07 AM

No matter how you gussy up your prose, a troll, for lack of a better word, is still a troll. You're not providing anything of substance to this discussion board by insulting people whose only crime is being passionate in support of their favoured sports franchise. I'm sure they are sorry if this causes you offense, but I hardly think they deserve your vilification. You have every right to post here of course, but don't expect your condescension to be taken with good humour. One might characterize that kind of expectation as child like.I don't take offense at anyone supporting their team.

kwigibo
29-07-07, 12:08 AM
I didn't name you as anything.

That would be me showing solidarity with my fellow Titans fans. It might seem silly, but a lot of things involved with being a fan are silly.

Zetland Zoo
29-07-07, 12:10 AM
That would be me showing solidarity with my fellow Titans fans. It might seem silly, but a lot of things involved with being a fan are silly.
Right it could be seen as silly as you say.

PROMETHEUS
29-07-07, 12:14 AM
I guess we can now look forward to next week and show our support and solidarity for our team,the Titans.:woot:

kwigibo
29-07-07, 12:21 AM
I don't take offense at anyone supporting their team. Sorry for the gussied up prose, but seriously prometheus is an idiot.

He could very well be, but nothing in this thread would indicate so in my opinion. It looks like to me that his intent was some good natured ribbing on the subject of the Rabbitoh's record in recent seasons in response to the implication that the Titans are destined to lose often in the future. Another person might have seen that as a chance for opposing fans to bond a little.

But then you resorted to name-calling, which even when warranted, and I certainly don't believe it was in this case, is just not very nice. Beyond being not nice, it's simply a barrier to healthy discussion, which I strongly suspect is this place's primary purpose.

PROMETHEUS
29-07-07, 12:28 AM
He could very well be, but nothing in this thread would indicate so in my opinion.

Cheers,Kwigibo,ill be sure to use that in my character reference in future! :rolf:

Chaos
29-07-07, 12:10 PM

Well put Kwigibo...I came on here to talk about the Souths/Titans game but this thread isn't worthy of any football talk

Prometheus,
You might need to take a break from the forum for a couple of days to avoid fuelling Zetland Zoo's childish comments.

Ryan
29-07-07, 02:12 PM
I think this forum just needs a good dose of myxomatosis .......

matti
29-07-07, 03:17 PM
i had a great night even tho we lost ! ill oput my pictures up

matti
29-07-07, 03:41 PM
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3714/footy029copydh8.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=footy029copydh8.jpg)

scooter
29-07-07, 05:36 PM
lol sorry im wondering if telstra is gonna replace the carpet that is worn out by Carty yesterday??? i was watching the coaches box and seriuosly, i hate to be up there in that ,iv never seen any1 pace so much..:woot:

Chaos
29-07-07, 07:40 PM
I think this forum just needs a good dose of myxomatosis .......

Thats pretty funny Ryan...but they're not all bad.

Blunt_Beno
29-07-07, 08:03 PM
congrats to bailey on last nights performance. he was inspirational, off the top off my head i can remember 3 occassions when he was the first of the chasers to get there. and im pretty sure he only had about a 2 or 3 minute break the entire game. big achievement for the old boy haha.

Chaos
29-07-07, 08:08 PM
congrats to bailey on last nights performance. he was inspirational, off the top off my head i can remember 3 occassions when he was the first of the chasers to get there. and im pretty sure he only had about a 2 or 3 minute break the entire game. big achievement for the old boy haha.

Bailey has been one of the buys of the year and I remember arguing with St George supportors over Bailey's ability at the start of the season.
Some of the Dragon supportors were rating every forward they had over Bailey.

Blunt_Beno
29-07-07, 09:23 PM
we'll you have proven them wrong haha

Queenslander
30-07-07, 08:42 AM
This could be a reason why Badger didn't like the Titans on Saturday night ;)

Badger admits wrong call on jersey request
Steve Mascord

Referee Gavin Badger said last night he had learnt his lesson after being carpeted for asking Gold Coast officials for a signed jersey before Saturday night's game against South Sydney.

Club chief executive Michael Searle made an official complaint to Telstra Stadium's ground manager and the NRL over the request, which could still lead to Badger being dropped from first grade.

League chief operating officer Graham Annesley said Badger's bizarre request was naive and inappropriate.

The referee told The Courier Mail: "I'll go with what Graham has had to say about it. It's something that shouldn't have happened and I've learnt my lesson."

Badger was handed the jersey at the ground on Saturday night by a member of the Mascot under10's team he helps coach, with the request for autographs.

He passed the request on to Titans staffer Scott Clark who, Badger told the NRL, said it would be "sweet". In an email to Annesley yesterday it is understood Badger said the youngster was "distraught" at the controversy and had changed his view of the Titans club.

Searle ordered the jersey to be returned to the referee unsigned and Annesley said: "I have spoken to Gavin and Michael Searle.

"Although the circumstances are not as clearcut as has been portrayed, it was inappropriate and naive of Gavin Badger.

"He was just trying to help a young fan out and was well-intentioned but he was very naive to do what he did when he did.

"We will be discussing the issue further with him tomorrow and consider what action to take."

The Titans were unhappy with several of Badger's decisions, including his call to put Souths backrower David Fa'alogo on report in the 17th minute for using a forearm, but not penaliszing Souths.

The Titans' top-eight hopes appear to be dwindling rapidly after their fifth straight loss.

The injury-hit newcomers welcomed back Mat Rogers and Anthony Lafranchi but lost utility Matt Hilder with a knee injury.

Scott Prince (sternum) is not expected to be available to meet the West Tigers on Saturday but the Titans skipper seems to be their best hope of reversing form.

The Courier Mail

Coaster
30-07-07, 10:40 AM
Hmm interesting, it certainly seemed on the night he had a vandetta against us, at one stage i was physicly laughing at the one sided calls going against us, even 3rd ref Harrigan was trying his hardest to reverse decisions.

I hope he does get the sack, the refereeing this year has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Dragons
30-07-07, 06:56 PM
Bailey has been one of the buys of the year and I remember arguing with St George supportors over Bailey's ability at the start of the season.

I never did and I wished we had kept him on our books, he has certainly lifted his game the last few weeks especially when they needed it. It was also good to see Presto go better also. Cannot wait till next week when we have Prince and Friend back on deck.

PROMETHEUS
30-07-07, 10:38 PM
His try on the weekend was an example of Bulls determination and drive.

Steelers
31-07-07, 12:23 AM

Obviously these blokes are the dimwits who give us all a bad name... Bailey was our number 1 forward by far... Ryles was almost up with him, but made too many silly errors (he has cut back this year thankfully). Bailey has stepped up another notch this year though, and he is playing phenomenal footy. We have truly missed his leadership in our inexperienced pack, and he, along with Scotty Prince, is definately your best signing.