PDA

View Full Version : Round 22: New Zealand Warriors vs Gold Coast Titans

Queenslander
24-07-07, 03:14 PM
New Zealand Warriors vs Gold Coast Titans
Mt Smart Stadium; Saturday 11th August, 7:30PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/StewyO/nzw.jpgvshttp://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg

Referee: Ben Cummins

Team Notes:

Warriors

- Michael Crockett has been removed from the FG team after an investigation into him was opened by NSW Police. Patrick Ah Van replaces Crockett on the wing.

Titans

- Ian Donnelly moves to the bench with Michael Hodgson moving into the run on side

- Mat Rogers is out due to injury, with Luke O'Dwyer moving to the centres and Josh Graham moves to lock.

Teams:

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_18.gif
1 Wade Mckinnon
2 Patrick Ah Van
3 Jerome Ropati
4 Simon Mannering
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Michael Witt
7 Grant Rovelli
8 Sam Rapira
9 George Gatis
10 Steve Price (c)
11 Ruben Wiki (vc)
12 Logan Swann
13 Micheal Luck
Interchange:
14 Wairangi Koopu
15 Evarn Tuimavave
16 Epalahame Lauaki
18 Nathan Fien
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif
1. Preston Campbell
2. Jake Webster
13. Luke O' Dwyer
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Josh Lewis
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
18. Josh Graham
Interchange:
14. Daniel Conn
15. Ian Donnelly
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Luke Swain

Rage
06-08-07, 04:07 PM
a very scary game especially since it's at auckland!
the last time we vsed them at home, it sparked a 5 game losing streak

can't afford to drop off in the second half but if they play like they did in first half against tigers, i see us winning

Meh
06-08-07, 05:00 PM
I'll be very interested to see how the Warriors react to that great draw with the Roosters.

But if they can produce that same quality and intensity, im not sure this one will be quite so close.

PROMETHEUS
06-08-07, 05:50 PM
Hopefully Mckinnon is out injured and Mannering gets suspended,and NZ have a drop off due to the intensity of yesterdays game.

Meh
06-08-07, 06:21 PM
Hopefully Mckinnon is out injured and Mannering gets suspended,and NZ have a drop off due to the intensity of yesterdays game.

Mckinnon twisted his ankle and is being closely monitored but will likely play and Mannering didnt have a case to answer for.

Luck was charged but will be able to play with an early guilty plea.

RLfan
07-08-07, 08:11 AM
Well, Warriors are on a great streak, so as is the nature of 2007 time for a loss.

patskE
07-08-07, 12:35 PM
friend wants to play 80 mins
which means 4 forwards on bench
seeing we got odweyer aswell
i am thinking conn, donnelly, hodesgon if his fit?,swain or grahman

Steve
07-08-07, 01:20 PM
We'll likely need a 4 forward bench too.
Graham could probably drop back to centre as well as O'Dwyer, along with Swain in a pinch.

Queenslander
07-08-07, 01:51 PM
Titans team

1. Preston Campbell
2. Jake Webster
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Josh Lewis
7. Scott Prince ?
8. Luke Bailey ?
9. Nathan Friend
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke O Dwyer

Interchange:

14. Daniel Conn
15. Ian Donnelly
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Luke Swain

Coaster
07-08-07, 01:54 PM
Young Samou lucky to keep his spot, he needs to lift his defence for this weekend, couple of big blokes coming his way.

I hope he uses this as a opertunity and targets that clumsy warriors winger.

patskE
07-08-07, 02:52 PM
i really hope samau is on the wing of crokett n not vautovi!
otherwise all over
nz is sorta like play a team full of Tuiaki... we going get steam'd rolled lol

we really need some speeders, we onyl got webster atm, need another one to chase down wade!

Queenslander
07-08-07, 04:39 PM
Here is the opposition:

1 Wade Mckinnon
2 Michael Crockett
3 Jerome Ropati
4 Simon Mannering
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Michael Witt
7 Grant Rovelli
8 Sam Rapira
9 George Gatis
10 Steve Price (c)
11 Ruben Wiki (vc)
12 Logan Swann
13 Micheal Luck
Interchange:
14 Wairangi Koopu
15 Evarn Tuimavave
16 Epalahame Lauaki
18 Nathan Fien

vanilla
07-08-07, 07:09 PM
All the warriors need to do is break the line and they have scored. Preston Campbell should start sending out apologies for getting in their way since hes gonna be as much use as a door mat and will only be good for being trampled and stomped on.

Prediction: warriors by 30+

patskE
07-08-07, 07:53 PM
didnt u see campbell 2 weeks ago
did some great try saving tackles 1 on 1...

TITAN PETE
07-08-07, 08:18 PM
All the warriors need to do is break the line and they have scored. Preston Campbell should start sending out apologies for getting in their way since hes gonna be as much use as a door mat and will only be good for being trampled and stomped on.

YOU ARE WAYNE CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mb63
07-08-07, 09:15 PM
This will be a tough game for the Titans butI hope they can pull off an upset.Warriors were stiff not to walk away with a victory on Sunday.

PROMETHEUS
07-08-07, 09:21 PM

:rolf:

lonegull
08-08-07, 12:40 PM
heard a radio report Crockett's has been rested due to an investigation, no replacement was mentioned

Big J
08-08-07, 01:31 PM
heard a radio report Crockett's has been rested due to an investigation, no replacement was mentioned

Do you mean ARrested!!?? Reports all over Sydney radio this morning that a young woman reported a case of sexual assault to Redfern police on Monday morning. Believed to have taken place at the Warriors team hotel in Coogee on Sunday night after their game against the roosters.

Couldn't find a story on the net but it was mentioned on Triple M and Nova this morning.

Teegy
08-08-07, 01:36 PM
form Leagueunlimited.com

August 8th, 2007 08:27 AM
Warriors player to be investigated over sexual assault2144

New Zealand Warriors player Michael Crockett is under investigation by NSW Police over claims that he sexually assaulted a woman in Sydney.

Chief executive Wayne Scurrah, who will address media at 11am Auckland time today, said in a statement that Crockett strenuously denied the allegations. Scurrah said the alleged incident happened away from the team's hotel and Crockett was the only player being investigated.

"We have informed the National Rugby League and our major partners about the issue," he said.

"The club has assisted Michael in gaining access to legal advice."

The incident followed the Warriors draw with the Roosters on Sunday. The woman made the complaint to Redfern police early Monday morning. Crockett, a winger for the Warriors, has been dropped from this week's match against the Gold Coast Titans at Mt Smart Stadium.

NRL CEO David Gallop told The Daily Telegraph the league was monitoring the investigation closely.

"We were made aware of the allegations by the (team) on Monday morning," Mr Gallop said. "These are obviously very serious allegations."

patskE
08-08-07, 02:13 PM
meh crockett isnt a big loss for em, he was one of their worst
wish it was wade :P

Big J
08-08-07, 02:40 PM

Me too Patske. The bloke may be a genuine knob but he is in some rare form. Hopefully he is a bit quieter then the first time we played them.

lonegull
08-08-07, 03:01 PM
patrick ah van is the replacement

vanilla
08-08-07, 04:06 PM

hes still better then samau, peterson and paea put together

Big J
08-08-07, 04:13 PM
hes still better then samau, peterson and paea put together

You are either deluded or a s*** stirrer because not one of your posts has had any sense or reasoning in it. But then again if you call yourself Peter Andre you are obviously a tool. Why not make yourself mysterious, girl.

patskE
08-08-07, 04:23 PM
lol i would pick peterson over him anyday
but he is better the paea n samau but

Big J
08-08-07, 04:33 PM
Gee and I thought you were Samau's number one fan patskE???:D

jake86
08-08-07, 06:18 PM
We seem to hae trouble with the bigger teams. Here's hoping laffranci, mini and Bailey can continue on with their great form.

Peterson > crockett > paea, samau. Samau a decent ball runner, just needs to work on defence and ball control. Paea wont see FG again at the titans imo.

Hodgeson in the front row is not a bad move. He's a great defender, hopefully can help stop the big warriors forwards from making too many inroads

Chaos
08-08-07, 11:01 PM
The Warriors might be a good strong side and it will be hard to beat them over there but we showed in the first half against the Tigers, we are one of the top teams in the comp.
If we have any hope in the semi's we will need to win these types of games and if we do win this week, we will have good momentum at the right time of the year.

Steve Price plays the ball fairly quickly but that's only because he whinges to the ref every time he plays the ball.
I hope Princy gets in the refs ear and mentions Price's whinging every time he carries on.
Better yet...I hope Donnelly runs into him and smashes him back on his ****.

We did well tightening the ruck in defence last week, which sets a platform for this week.
I hope this week's training is focused on packing defenders around McKinnon. He doesn't pass the ball but is very hard to stop.

Queenslander
09-08-07, 08:15 AM
Titans duo in doubt
Steve Ricketts
August 09, 2007 12:00am

GOLD Coast Titans could take a 19-man squad to Auckland tomorrow to ensure the club fields a fully fit and well prepared side for Saturday night's NRL clash with New Zealand Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium.

With doubts over the fitness of centre Mat Rogers (knee) and prop Ian Donnelly (thigh) the Titans have former Warriors back David Myles and utility star Josh Graham on standby.

Rogers and Donnelly are likely to be given until the last minute to prove their fitness.

There are reports 2006 Australian Schoolboys star Shannon Walker also could force his way into the squad after a three-try effort for feeder club Tweed last weekend.

However, Tweed coach Troy McCarthy said yesterday he expected the youngster to play against Burleigh at Piggabeen on Sunday.

Walker is under contract to the Titans until the end of 2009 and the club could move to extend that deal, with several rival clubs interested in the 18-year-old.

The Titans have extended coach John Cartwright's deal for a further two years until the end of 2011.

"It's great John has agreed to another two years and I think we can expect to have plenty of success with him in charge," managing director Michael Searle said yesterday.

Cartwright said he was surprised but elated to have his contract extended.

Searle said he would leave it until the end of the season to decide whether former Queensland centre Chris Walker would be offered a new deal.

Walker is sidelined with a hamstring injury but hopes to be available for Sunday week's home match against the Roosters.

Warriors winger Michael Crockett has withdrawn from Saturday's game following allegations he sexually assaulted a woman in Sydney last Sunday night after the 31-all draw with the Roosters.

The Courier Mail

jenwood
09-08-07, 01:23 PM
Shannon Walker is certainly a future star however I dont believe he has enough size to debut in the NRL against a team of giants like the Warriors. If he played especially on the wing I think you would see many repeats of the Tuiaki(?) try last week except that Shannon would be the speed bump!He needs time to mature physically more in my opinion.

Kelvinator
09-08-07, 01:34 PM
would like to see him debut against the sharks on covells wing. think he would have a field day against the self-proclaimed slowest winger in the comp.

patskE
09-08-07, 01:40 PM
Shannon Walker is certainly a future star however I dont believe he has enough size to debut in the NRL against a team of giants like the Warriors. If he played especially on the wing I think you would see many repeats of the Tuiaki(?) try last week except that Shannon would be the speed bump!He needs time to mature physically more in my opinion.

didnt u see samau? he got used as one aswell lol

Coaster
09-08-07, 02:58 PM

I totally agree.

:clap:

I would much rather see a guy like Josh Vaughn given a shot, or Nat Barnes.

Kelvinator
09-08-07, 03:14 PM
I totally agree.

:clap:

I would much rather see a guy like Josh Vaughn given a shot, or Nat Barnes.

don't think vaughn could get a run considering he doesn't train with the titans. not sure wether nat barnes still trains up there or not either. would be hard to play someone that doesn't even make the training squad i would think.

Kelvinator
09-08-07, 03:15 PM
didnt u see samau? he got used as one aswell lol

is samau your arch nemisis patske?????

patskE
09-08-07, 03:21 PM
ahaha lol nah but i just think he should be in the side
dont see wat carty see's in him i spose
i seen a few qld cup gaems on the abctv2 n would rather see prafitt or someone given a shot

jenny
10-08-07, 09:17 AM
Bring on the big guns, say Titans enforcers :)

Luke Turgeon

10Aug07

HERE are two of the biggest reasons the Gold Coast Titans can win in New Zealand.

Titans enforcers Luke Bailey :woot: and Anthony Laffranchi were sitting on the sidelines when the Warriors steamrolled the Gold Coast 22-6 at Carrara in round 16.

Bailey was on State of Origin representative duty while Laffranchi was out with a knee injury.

But in a huge boost for the Titans, both big men will be on deck and determined to even the score when they lead the Gold Coast forward pack into battle in Auckland tomorrow night.

"They carved us up through the middle last time," said Titans co-captain Bailey.

"I hope to be the difference on the night, alongside Boof (Laffranchi).

"The Warriors grow a leg over there and they are playing some of their best footy too. But I am confident we can put in a pretty good performance."

The Titans have been rated close to no chance of knocking off the fifth-placed Warriors on home turf.

Bookmakers TAB Sportsbet have rated the Titans $3.75 long-shots to take the two competition points, while the Warriors are running a short $1.25. But the boost to his forward pack added by Bailey and Laffranchi has Titans coach John Cartwright quietly confident of victory.

"It makes us a different team," said Cartwright.

"They have been the leaders of our pack all year.

"It is definitely going to impact on us because those two players also impact on the mindset of the players around them.

"It is still going to be tough but I am pretty confident we can go over there and come up with a result."

The Warriors carry one of the most damaging forward packs in the NRL, with Steve Price, Ruben Wiki and Sam Rapira leading the charge. It is not only their size and agility that makes them dangerous, but their ability to keep the ball alive through offloads that enables them to gain easy metres.

Bailey said lethal Warriors fullback Wade McKinnon, who is currently second in the NRL in the number of tackle breaks behind Cowboy Matt Bowen, was a marked man.

McKinnon's electric support play has been one of the highlights of this year's NRL competition.

"We have got to try our best to stop their offloads because there is obviously going to be a couple there," said Bailey. "But we really have to work on keeping that line in defence and not retreating until the ball is dead.

"We will do our best to get the numbers there in defence and stop McKinnon from the start and that will probably help our cause."

The Titans struggled to score points at times during last week's drought-breaking 30-14 victory over the Tigers. Meanwhile, the Warriors have been red-hot, averaging five tries in their past eight games.

"They are big on confidence and we have got a smidgen of confidence after beating the Tigers," said Bailey. "We have to learn to score more tries and I think we will if we learn to play more of a patience game.

"We have got to try and play some good footy when we get the opportunities, against the Tigers we were a bit slack in that department.

"But we have worked pretty hard and I'm confident we can come up with something good."
GC BULLETIN

Coaster
10-08-07, 10:18 AM
don't think vaughn could get a run considering he doesn't train with the titans. not sure wether nat barnes still trains up there or not either. would be hard to play someone that doesn't even make the training squad i would think.

Vaughn was in the train on team at the start of the year, he even played in a trial.

I didnt know he had been dropped

Big J
10-08-07, 11:11 AM
Rogers ruled out of clash with Warriors
Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:55 AM From nrl.com.au

Gold Coast star Mat Rogers has been ruled out of Saturday night's NRL clash with the New Zealand Warriors in Auckland due to a troublesome knee injury.

Utility Luke O'Dwyer will shift from the forwards into the centres to replace Rogers while former Super 14 rugby player Josh Graham will cover lock.

Titans coach John Cartwright said he did not want to risk dual international Rogers in the slippery conditions at Mount Smart Stadium.

"If it was a grand final he'd probably play but it's going to be wet and greasy over there and not a game that would suit him," Cartwright said.

"Regardless of what happens in New Zealand we have to beat the Roosters (at Carrara on Saturday week) so we're not putting all our eggs in the one basket yet.

"We have to win three out of four (to make the NRL finals) so we'll go over there and do a job with the guys that we've got."

Coincidentally, Rogers fractured his patella during Gold Coast's 22-6 loss to the Warriors six weeks ago at Carrara but returned earlier than expected to help the Titans out of a form slump.

"He's had a crack in his patella so it's very tender and it's been super courageous of him to play the last two games under that sort of pain," Cartwright said.

"It shows the character of the side, that they all want to play."

Cartwright said the Titans held a slight advantage in that the Warriors would know little about Graham, who played rugby for the Western Force last year following a stint with Melbourne Storm.

"He'll go over there and surprise a few," Cartwright added.

"I've been really pleased with him considering his limited time in rugby league. I think he's got a huge future."

The Titans snapped a five-match losing streak with a 30-14 win over Wests Tigers last weekend while the Warriors have set their sights on a top four finish, recording six wins and a draw over the past eight weeks.

Source: AAP

lonegull
10-08-07, 11:14 AM
rogers out, odywer to centres josh graham to start at lock

DIEHARD
10-08-07, 11:17 AM
Big blow for the Titans.

Rogers brings a lot to our first 17.

He will be sorely missed.

DIEHARD
10-08-07, 11:21 AM
Yea, this time we have our big guns on the field and our big guns are the best in the NRL.

This is going to be a tough one, the Warriors beat us last time and they have been hitting some dangerous form lately. They will be even harder to beat in Auckland.

BUT WE MUST WIN!

Coaster
10-08-07, 11:25 AM
"If it was a grand final he'd probably play but it's going to be wet and greasy over there and not a game that would suit him," Cartwright said.

We lose this, and Carty can forget about Grand Finals for a whole year

DIEHARD
10-08-07, 11:36 AM
We lose this, and Carty can forget about Grand Finals for a whole year

Possibly, we all can.

Meh
10-08-07, 03:39 PM
Mckinnon is still 50/50 to play at the moment because of his ankle, but if he is ruled out it would probably be Ah Van to fullback, Todd Byrne to wing.

Titanium_BD1103
10-08-07, 03:46 PM
Big blow for the GC... didn't need that.. but I am sure whoever is named as replacement will do a fine job... I reckon O'Dwyer is there ATM, but Graham might go there before game time... ;)

Should be a good game none the less.. GO THE TITANS.. :D :D

patskE
10-08-07, 03:47 PM
going to put 5 on titans to win by 1-13
paying 5 bucks
i think u might see luke staying at lock n grahman in the centers

Rage
11-08-07, 12:17 AM
i read in the paper that shannon walker is 18th man

patskE
11-08-07, 03:48 AM
i hope he gets the call in for samau, his speed would be deadly on tired warrior forwards

Kelvinator
11-08-07, 09:29 AM
i read in the paper that shannon walker is 18th man

which paper was that?

Meh
11-08-07, 10:48 AM
Word is that Wade is still 50/50 to play depending pretty much on how he felt when he got up this morning, and will likely be given until kickoff to make a decision.

Also heard this may mean Todd Byrne to Fullback and Ah Van to stay on the wing...

Although if wade the player is in question, im pretty sure he will play unless Cleary has sat him down and said "your not playing today".

DIEHARD
11-08-07, 11:32 AM
Just 6 hours left till the big game. I'm going to head into the city, might watch it at a pub or something.

It is my feeling that McKinnon wont play, which is good news for us.

jenwood
11-08-07, 11:39 AM
Hope he doesnt play- he is one mighty fine player and can create lots of headaches for the opposition!!!

dee13
11-08-07, 01:16 PM
Just 6 hours left till the big game. I'm going to head into the city, might watch it at a pub or something.

It is my feeling that McKinnon wont play, which is good news for us.

Im off to Burleigh Bears Leagues Club to relax with dinner, beer, Titans game and most importantly, my fiance.

DIEHARD
11-08-07, 01:37 PM
Im off to Burleigh Bears Leagues Club to relax with dinner, beer, Titans game and most importantly, my fiance.

Sounds like a great way to enjoy an away game!

Well one that you can't attend.

I'll catch it somewhere in the city.

Queenslander
11-08-07, 05:41 PM
Summary of late changes before the game:

Warriors:
Fullback Wade McKinnon is out with Patrick Ah Van coming in to replace him. Winger Michael Crockett has been stood down for the match, with Todd Byrne coming into the team.
Nathan Fien will start the match at hooker, with George Gatis going back to the bench.
Titans:
Mat Rogers is out of this match, with Luke O'Dwyer going from lock to the centres.
Nathan Friend will start from the bench, with Mark Minichiello starting at hooker
Gavin Cooper starting in the second row, and Josh Graham coming in at lock in jersey number 21.

Rage
11-08-07, 05:42 PM
which paper was that?

daily telegraph i think
i saw 18. Shannon Walker

Boofhead
11-08-07, 05:45 PM
Early points go to Warriors.

6-0 Warriors.

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 05:45 PM
Rovelli Try after Vatuvai ran down the field... turning Preston inside out.. :(

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 05:51 PM
Rovelli scores again... the Warriors are carving up the Titans and making breaks, Mannering to Rovelli, they are just creating gaps in the middle... :(

Converted by Witt

Warriors 12- Titans 0

Rage
11-08-07, 05:54 PM
12- 0 to Warriors....

:hissyfit"

Rage
11-08-07, 05:57 PM
16 - 0 to Warriors..

wats happening!

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 05:57 PM
Ropati Scores again, Witt Converts

Warriors 18- Titans 0

18 mins gone

O'Dwyer lost the ball and then the Warriors rang rings around the defense AGAIN

The rain is falling now... and the Titans are defending like stringed pasta.. it's aweful... Lewis, O'Dwyer could have both stopped that try.

Steve
11-08-07, 06:01 PM
Listening on the radio, sounds like the Titans haven't turned up.
If they're not hungry for this game, goodbye finals.

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:03 PM
Listening on the radio, sounds like the Titans haven't turned up.
If they're not hungry for this game, goodbye finals.

I gave up on ABC... they got NZ commentators on there who sound like they are having a relationship with Preston Campbell....:rolf::rolf:

I'm listening to 2GB now and getting updates from NZ from someone on MSN... and DARN Smith Samau, bombed a certain try.... :(

Queenslander
11-08-07, 06:05 PM
A possible Warriors Try going to the video ref

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:06 PM
Another possible Warriors Try.....

YAY everyone is on tonight, at least we can discuss the game... :woot:

NO TRY... 20M restart...:clap:

Queenslander
11-08-07, 06:08 PM
NO TRY... 20M restart...:clap:

Phew something goes our way, I hope the boys are not shell shocked. They can still come back and win this one!

Teegy
11-08-07, 06:08 PM
no try but i think titans were lucky

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:10 PM
Phew something goes our way, I hope the boys are not shell shocked. They can still come back and win this one!

Yes they can, but not the way they are playing at the moment, it seems like they are half asleep... everything is once again for another half of football so slow... they are carrying on from 2nd half last week....:(

The attack sounds like it's flat, Preston could have done a lot better with that last play and no one is chasing the opportunities... they need to WAKE UP.

Rage
11-08-07, 06:12 PM
maybe this is Carty's game plan :P
save energy until 2nd half

if only..

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:14 PM
maybe this is Carty's game plan :P
save energy until 2nd half

if only..

I don't like bagging players, as they give their all.. but Smith Samau is not doing anything... he's completely lost out there, and he was like that last week... he just seems to have lost direction.

The Titans are doing well to keep possession, but they are playing so slow and seem so lethargic, a point being emphasised by the fact the boys are giving penalties to help the Warriors easily get out of their end.

Samau missed Byrne.. this is going to be a long night me thinks...:nope:

Steve
11-08-07, 06:19 PM
I gave up on ABC... they got NZ commentators on there who sound like they are having a relationship with Preston Campbell....:rolf::rolf:

I'm listening to 2GB now and getting updates from NZ from someone on MSN... and DARN Smith Samau, bombed a certain try.... :(

2GB was the first I picked up.

I thought it was Delaney who butchered it, although Samau just did it too.

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:21 PM
2GB was the first I picked up.

I thought it was Delaney who butchered it, although Samau just did it too.

Samau bombed that by running 10m in front of the player... he needs to learn how to play on the wing... I think he's a centre, not a winger... seems to struggle to stay on the wing and comes too far in... :(

At least Bull is giving it a go... he always tries, Prince is also trying... but they are getting no support tonight..:cry:

Luke Bailey is now kicking... he's doing it all on his own.

Halftime

Warriors 18

Titans 0

Steve
11-08-07, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't point the finger just at Samau.
Other than Bailey, who's putting in?
Laffranchi is up to 30 tackles along with Bailey, and is only 1 hit up behind, but he's made no ground.

Sounds like Preston has made some great takes, but there's only so much he can do at the back when the rest of the team is lying down and submitting to the warriors, especially with those big kiwis running at him.

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't point the finger just at Samau.
Other than Bailey, who's putting in?
Laffranchi is up to 30 tackles along with Bailey, and is only 1 hit up behind, but he's made no ground.

Sounds like Preston has made some great takes, but there's only so much he can do at the back when the rest of the team is lying down and submitting to the warriors, especially with those big kiwis running at him.

I am not so much blaming Samau for the whole teams ineptitude.. that is the whole team not really helping out each other.. I am just saying Samau looks lost... I gave him a week to prove himself from last week, but another week of the same... had to say something.

In saying that, have to agree with you, not his fault the side is doing so badly... they aren't playing badly the Titans in terms of possession and tackles, they are just flat and slow and the Warriors who are quick and nimble and punching holes through that... :(

Rage
11-08-07, 06:40 PM
yes! try to Lafranchi at last

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:40 PM
Titans Score to Laffranchi... from a Prince kick... the team is finally working as a team... good work boys... :D :D

Delaney Converts

18-6 Warriors over Titans

CMON GC.. :)

Boofhead
11-08-07, 06:41 PM
Good stuff!

Here comes the comeback. :)

Queenslander
11-08-07, 06:42 PM
Titans Score to Laffranchi... from a Prince kick... the team is finally working as a team... good work boys... :D :D

Delaney Converts

18-6 Warriors over Titans

CMON GC.. :)

Great stuff, lets go Titans!!!!

and a excellent crowd in New Zealand 20,609

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:43 PM
The Warriors have gotten angry... the Titans need to attack now.. Warriors are vunerable when they get annoyed at things, they get the droppies then... ;)

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:47 PM
Koopu seems to have scored... video ref to confirm

GC defense once again pasta thin... Webster, Lewis and O'Dwyer miss the player who was headed for the line... seems Samau may have stopped it... GO SAMAU... :)

Queenslander
11-08-07, 06:50 PM
No Try!

Steve Price is ruled to have taken Campbell out of the play.

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:51 PM
Patrick Ah Van has dropped a grubber, Lewis could have scored but ran over it instead... :)

Then Campbell could have scored himself but then he threw it over the sideline while aiming for Samau... :(

Another try bombed... :(

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 06:53 PM
Josh Lewis has missed the tackle.. Rovelli scores.. :(

Converted by Witt

Caps off a very poor performance by the GC... just not there tonight.. :(

Warriors 24- Titans 6

Rage
11-08-07, 06:53 PM
another try to Rovelli..

10% chance for us to win tonight

Boofhead
11-08-07, 06:54 PM
Ah...

Thats the game, try Warriors.

Canberra_Titan
11-08-07, 06:59 PM
Looking Grim :cry:

kwigibo
11-08-07, 07:01 PM
I think they've lost more games for problems on the wing than anywhere else. The lightness of the forward pack gets more press, but it isn't the problem, the quantity of errors on the edges in both attack and defense, not limited to Paea and Samau have cost the Titans dearly this year. It was an issue in round 1 and still is.

If the guys in queensland cup can catch a pass and read a play, why is Cartwright persisting with the status quo?

Queenslander
11-08-07, 07:06 PM
looks like we might have a try!

EDIT: NO TRY:

Campbell knocks the ball on whilst trying to ground his own grubber to the in-goal

Rage
11-08-07, 07:09 PM
hmm apparenly not..

well im gonna go nows
what a depressing game
maybe we still have a chance at finals...
:(

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 07:10 PM
Webster has missed the ball as it hits the back of his hand, Koopu has missed the ball and Ropati has apparently scored.. video ref to confirm

Warriors have scored through Ropati, Witt converts

Warriors 30- Titans 6

C-Whiz
11-08-07, 07:13 PM
The Warriors couldn't give us anymore chances tonight. We've managed to bomb about 4 certain tries. 2 balls thrown straight over the sideline when the try line was begging to be crossed....... Scott Prince is having a very ordinary night with his kicking game. Samua is ordinary all round. I can't believe how many chances we have been given by the Warriors, yet can't cross for a second try. This is very hard to watch. This will go down as a game that the Warriors almost threw away, except we also threw away all our chances.

I was a little bit unhappy with Preston early on, but have since seen he is doing some good things. he has taken some screamers, putting his body on the line, yet cannot match the big guys continually running at him.

it's a bit of a shame, so many chances wasted..... so many gifts not taken advantage of....

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 07:17 PM
Agreed C-Whiz... the Warriors have not been great..but we haven't captialised at all on that.. the boys have looked flat and slow all night, the defense is ordinary to be kind and pathetic to be true... the attack is only slightly better, we are holding possession but have no idea what to do with it once we get it.

I agree, Prince looks like he's lost confidence, Samau needs to be in the centres IMO, he's lost out there.. Bull and Preston have tried their hearts out tonight along with Friend... who has tackled everything... but the rest just haven't helped out.... and have bombed the chances they have gotten.

Warriors need to keep improving to get to late september, but tonight has been very disappointing for us.. so much chance, and so little done.. :(

C-Whiz
11-08-07, 07:17 PM
I doubt Scott Prince has kicked so many bad balls as tonight in the entire season. Too long, too short.... just an average night. I am sure it's tough conditions, but still..... just frustrating for everyone, I guess.

Titanium_BD1103
11-08-07, 07:20 PM
FINAL SCORE

New Zealand Warriors- 30

Titans 6

Titans bombed a great piece of attack from Prince, Campbell and Friend... Samau could have scored, but he mistimed when to go for the ball... :(

Oh well that's the end, disappointing, I am off to watch the Swans... :)

Steve
11-08-07, 07:21 PM
Sounds like Samau finished with a flourish, but, our season is pretty much over now. Time to try some fresh blood. Give Walker, Barnes and Parfitt a shot.

vanilla
11-08-07, 07:26 PM
the titans got byrnt.........
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/sport/league/warriors_2006/profiles/byrne_todd_d.jpg

C-Whiz
11-08-07, 07:26 PM
Titans bombed a great piece of attack from Prince, Campbell and Friend... Samau could have scored, but he mistimed when to go for the ball... :(

:)

Is it just me or has Samau come in of his wing heaps of times this season? Apart from letting guys get outside of him in defence because he is not out wide on his wing where he should be, how many trys have been bombed by him not being the outside man when Delany has thrown it out for him? I am sure this same thing happened last week against the Tigers too.

is it just me who feels this way????

Queenslander
11-08-07, 07:27 PM
FINAL SCORE

New Zealand Warriors 30
Tries: Grant Rovelli (3), Jerome Ropati (2)
Goals: Michael Witt (5/5)
Gold Coast Titans 6
Tries: Anthony Laffranchi
Goals: Brett Delaney (1/1)

jenwood
11-08-07, 07:30 PM
Not sure whats going on there-I thought Delaney played well again both in attack and defense. We missed Matty Rogers experience and elusiveness close to the line. Of all those bombed tries surely we could have scored twice with him there. Oh well roll on Roosters next week. We need a huge cowd to support the boys next week at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vanilla
11-08-07, 07:36 PM
when will the titans realise you actually need good players to win games not players like campbell, swain, samau, o dwyer, graham, conn and especially brad meyers when he plays. Meyers :nope: up there with the worst of the worst

Steelers
11-08-07, 07:37 PM
Did you even watch tonight's game?

C-Whiz
11-08-07, 07:42 PM
When will you realise no one here actually likes you, or even wants you here? Even when they have bad games, we will still support them. If you ever have a good post, we will still wish you would just go away...... no offence intended because I don't want to be accused of being homo-phobic......

jenwood
11-08-07, 07:42 PM
I dont think he did! Campbell had a good game and was fearless at the back. He was very involved in attack and it wasnt his fault alone that they couldnt convert effort to points. Seemed a bit disorganised in attack tonight! I guess thats what happens when you are being intimidated by such aggressive players right across the park. Credit where its due- the Warriors played well and when they slacked off we didnt capitalise on our chances!!

Queenslander
11-08-07, 07:43 PM
When will you realise no one here actually likes you, or even wants you here? Even when they have bad games, we will still support them. If you ever have a good post, we will still wish you would just go away...... no offence intended because I don't want to be accused of being homo-phobic......

Okay lets not let Peter Andre get to us......he obviously wants to stir the pot. So lets ignore him and move on :D

C-Whiz
11-08-07, 07:49 PM
Okay lets not let Peter Andre get to us......he obviously wants to stir the pot. So lets ignore him and move on :D

Don't worry, I wouldn't let him get to me. I would beat him with a big stick before he got close! ;) And I'm not so sure it's just the pot he wants to stir Queenslander, if you know what I mean! :p

Queenslander
11-08-07, 07:50 PM
Don't worry, I wouldn't let him get to me. I would beat him with a big stick before he got close! ;) And I'm not so sure it's just the pot he wants to stir Queenslander, if you know what I mean! :p

:rolf: lol....That's the spirit!

But anywho back on topic. I hope this loss helps the Titans, we need something special to pull off a finals berth.

Meh
11-08-07, 08:19 PM
The scoreboard really flattered the Warriors. They cant seem to stay in top gear striaght after halftime and its abit of a problem. Had the Titans been able to convert, it would have been much closer.

Rage
11-08-07, 10:11 PM
pretty bad loss tonight but there is still hope to get into finals :)
3 games left:

Roosters: big home crowd support like against tigers
Sharks: the team that gave us our first win
Storm: hopefully they rest up their big players seeing as theyre alredy in finals

Titantones
11-08-07, 11:46 PM
That was a hard road trip but we were up against it from the start, they all tried hard and if we had a bit of luck we may have been able to make a game of it.
Bring on next week Lets have a Rooster Roasting, the guys can do it.

Go the Titans

squirrell
12-08-07, 07:14 AM
I thought bull and presto were the stand outs for us.Up the middle we looked a bit predictable and unable to break their line.We did lack the killer instinct on their line,not attributable to any one person though,seemed a bit lost,same as when we had all those repeat sets against the tigers last week on their line and didnt convert.Next year we'll roll teams over i have no doubts,good effort boys.

DIEHARD
12-08-07, 08:36 AM
Bitterly disappointed with the loss.

But it was always going to be a tough assignment.

I was very impressed with Preston Campbell and Luke Bailey particularly.

That crowd of over 20,000 was amazing, I would have been impressed with 15,000, the Warriors are rising and the people of New Zealand are getting behind them. They aren't a dark horse, they are a dead set title contender.

Though Australians scored most of the Warriors points.

There were moments when we were presented with golden opportunities and we either blew it or couldn't capitalise. My heart was in my mouth when Conn nearly scored. Or when Presto passed the ball out in great attacking position.

I think we played well. I think we really missed Rogers. Most of the game, I thought we were well within our ability to reel them in.

C-Whiz
12-08-07, 08:41 AM
I think we played well. I think we really missed Rogers. Most of the game, I thought we were well within our ability to reel them in.

Agreed!

DIEHARD
12-08-07, 08:43 AM
Also, I have to mention, how truly amazing was Preston's effort to get out of the in goal evading four warriors!!

dee13
12-08-07, 09:01 AM
Preston did well in offence. Defensively, he was nothing short of woeful. He doesn't put his body on the line. If he had gotten in front of the attacking players instead of throwing his arm out, he may have been a chance of taking the player down.

I was shattered last night as were alot of other Titans fans at Burleigh Bears.

Titanium_BD1103
12-08-07, 09:18 AM
Preston did well in offence. Defensively, he was nothing short of woeful. He doesn't put his body on the line. If he had gotten in front of the attacking players instead of throwing his arm out, he may have been a chance of taking the player down.

I was shattered last night as were alot of other Titans fans at Burleigh Bears.

Dee, I think the whole side needs a lesson in defense after last night....:duh:

I don't think we played well last night at all TBH.... the boys completed sets and held possession, but did not much else.

In defense, the likes of Lewis, Campbell, Delaney, Webster and Samau seemed out at sea... the Warriors went carving us up the middle and once they did that, the Titans struggled to keep them for sailing downfield.

The thing that worries me though is the attack... not so much that it's poor... but more that it's non-existent. 2 months ago GC was one of the most free flowing attacking teams, plenty of enthusiasm, plenty of drive and for any rugby league fan, it was fun to watch their brand of football.

Not sure why though, perhaps it's injuries, but it seems everyone has lost confidence now... the team is so slow in everything it does, happened last week 2nd half against the Tigers too... it seems we now do things at half pace... and against a side like the Warriors, they will just eat you up for dinner doing that. In addition it seems we don't know what to do when we get the ball.. Preston bombed a try and Samau another 2 because they didn't know what to do when they got the ball.

The thing though that I am most disappointed about ATM though is our discipline.... it's costing us easy metres and the number of times our players were caught either off side or holding down the player last night meant the Warriors were just given a carriage ride into our 50... it was too easy for them from there.... and we can't let sides do that to us.

I know this is a harsh assessment, and for some might seem like I'm taking shots at the team, but you've got to be cruel to be kind... and as much as I reckon all the boys are still giving 100% and going out there to win every match, there are some truths that need to be faced if GC are going to be any chance of winning the last 3 and getting a Top 8 spot.

Steve
12-08-07, 10:57 AM
On the radio, when Preston passed over the sideline, they made the comment that Samau was out of position. He was pretty much out of position in attack the whole game.
As much as a certain someone likes to bag Petersen for doing nothing more than catching the ball taking a couple steps and putting the ball down, that's the job of a good winger, to be on hand and in the right place to take those passes. Goes to show that no, not just anyone can do it. It really does seem Samau is more a centre, or maybe even a fullback, but not a winger. I'm sure he can pick it up, but first grade isn't the place to learn the craft.

patskE
12-08-07, 12:09 PM
only watched half the game
but they craved us in the middle drawing us in then just speaded it n our wingers were drawn in
we need attacking centers tbh, ones like hodges/gaz
ones who can use there footwork to beat the defence tbh
dleaney is just a strong ball runner, like a backrower n rogers uses angles

Coaster
12-08-07, 12:35 PM
Deleney didn't help the situation last week, when Samou went missing, and he turned around and gave him a gobfull.

This week Samou stuck to him like glue, and forgot about his own positioning.

He needs to go back to the Queensland cup, and regather the form that got him into the side in the first place.

Overall pretty average in every department, looked like men playing boys at times. Had to sit th whole night with a Kiwi mate, who drank my beer, sat in my spa, and laughed at me for hours. Great night:der:

PROMETHEUS
12-08-07, 05:20 PM
I know injuries have crippled us this year,but we need more centres/wingers that will do more than just run the ball up and be tackled..the absence of Rogers last night proved the point,at times we looked very pedestrian in attack.
Anyway,bring on the chooks,a big win in our last home game!:woot:

hammer
12-08-07, 05:41 PM
Definitely not the result that we were seeking...but hey that's footy sometimes.
Unfortunately when you have an injury list that's been rather long for the vast majority of the season, this can have an effect on the fit players as well. Extra workloads and erosion of cohesion and confidence.
When we were under the pump like we were last night and we needed the big play our indecision came to the fore.
Part of developing a footballing culture in a club takes an understanding of the style of play unique to a club - that's from the lower grades up through to first grade. This is evident when you see clubs like the bulldogs, dragons and broncos blood their up and coming players - they seem to fit in so well, into the team structure and plays. Unfortunately for the titans that cannot be created in 1 season, it takes time.
Although disappointed in the result, I was pleased of the efforts of the players and I saw many good aspects from last night's game. I am even more pleased to hear the titans have resigned John Cartright for another 2 years after his contract expires as I believe the culture that we wants to develop for the future is an exciting one.
Give it time Titan's fans - it won't happen overnight but it will happen!

Chaos
12-08-07, 11:36 PM
I'm not going to be critical of our forwards, we all knew the Warriors were going to be too strong physically and surely no-one thought we were going to physically out muscle the Warriors.

I will be critical of our backline
Dalaney - I've been quietly critical of this guy since he started with the Titans but now I'm going to let Carty have a piece of me. How can we have a player that can't pass a ball or read the play in the centres?
The Warriors were up by 2 trys at one stage but Dalaney blew three tries. It looked like a flogging in the end but we could have won that game.
First chance Dalaney threw the pass over the sideline.
Second chance he had 2 on 1, ten metres from the try line and threw the ball forward. He passed like a seven year old.
Third time Prince sent Preston running across the field and all Dalaney had to do was turn inside for a try untouched but he couldn't read the game.

Samou has copped bagging and rightly so. He comes so far off his wing that his opposing centre has a chance to run around him. He's got some potential there but he needs to learn his trade in the feeder clubs before returning.

Preston Looked spectactular under the high ball but every one of you held there breath as the Warriors kicked a bomb. Not once did he look safe and only his reflexes caught those two bombs he missed judged.
He's not a fullback and his defence back there is the worst in the comp.

Lewis - Mate run to the line and pass the friggen ball, we know you can kick and you do it well but play a 5/8 roll or Preston will have your spot. And FFS defend with your shoulder and not chest, your getting palm off every time.

It was one of Princes worst games but who could he pass the ball to?
He gave our outside backs chances at the start but they were just blewing it.

Carty, our outside backs were exposed and everyside will target our right hand defence and fullback if you don't make changes.

I didn't watch the last 20 minutes as I had better things to do.