PDA

View Full Version : Round 19: Gold Coast Titans vs Bulldogs

Titanium_BD1103
26-06-07, 10:15 AM
Gold Coast Titans vs Bulldogs
Gold Coast Stadium, Friday 20th July, 7:30PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg vs http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx11939.jpg

Referee: Sean Hampstead

Team Notes:

Titans

- Jake Webster replaces the injured Matt Petersen on the wing

- Josh Graham returns from injury to replace Luke O'Dwyer in the centres

- Josh Lewis moves to halfback and Matt Hilder to five eighth to cover for the injured Scott Prince

- James Stosic joins the bench.

Bulldogs

- Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes has made four changes to the team that went down to the Panthers last weekend at Telstra Stadium.

- Fred Briggs will make his NRL debut against the Titans off the interchange bench, replacing Aaron Wheatley and becoming the 690th first grade player for the Club.

- Willie Tonga returns in the centres after a week on the sidelines with a groin injury. He replaces the injured Cameron Phelps who sustained a cheek injury last weekend.

- Chris Armit moves into the starting side after making his return last weekend. He will replace the injured Willie Mason in the front row.

- Sonny Bill Williams returns from a rib injury with Nick Kouparitsas moving back to the interchange bench.

- Adam Brideson has travelled with the team as 19th Man.

Teams:

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Preston Campbell
2. Jake Webster
3. Josh Graham
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Matt Hilder
7. Josh Lewis
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. Nathan Friend
10. Ian Donnelly
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14.Daniel Conn
15. James Stosic
16. Kris Kahler
17. David Myles
18: Chris Walker
http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_04.gif

1. Luke Patten
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Daryl Millard
4. Willie Tonga
5. Heka Nanai
6. Ben Roberts
7. Brent Sherwin
8. Jarrad Hickey
9. Corey Hughes
10. Chris Armit
11. Sonny Bill Williams
12. Andrew Ryan (c)
13. Reni Maitua

Interchange:

14. Adam Perry
15. Nick Kouparitsas
16. Brad Morrin
17. Fred Briggs

lonegull
17-07-07, 02:27 PM
Lewis to wear Prince's shoes

July 17, 2007 JOSH Lewis has been handed the challenging task of filling Scott Prince's shoes on Friday night when Gold Coast takes on the Bulldogs at Carrara.

Titans co-captain Prince will miss up to three weeks after aggravating a collarbone injury in Sunday's embarrassing 56-10 loss to Canberra.

Coach John Cartwright has resisted the temptation to slot fullback Preston Campbell into the halves, instead promoting Matt Hilder from the bench to five-eighth and handing former Sydney Roosters pivot Lewis the No.7 jersey.

Titans has one of the worst injury lists in the NRL, with 11 players out of its 29 recognised first graders unavailable as it battles for a finals berth in its inaugural season.

Prince, back rower Anthony Laffranchi (knee) and former Australia rugby union star Mat Rogers head the overflowing casualty ward at the club.

New Zealand international winger Jake Webster and former Super 14 rugby centre Josh Graham have been drafted into the starting side to replace Matt Petersen (knee) and Luke O'Dwyer (shoulder).

Kiwi prop James Stosic is recovering from a knee injury but has been named on the bench.

Titans will be hoping to snap a three-match losing streak when it hosts the Bulldogs, which will be missing star forwards Willie Mason (wrist) and Mark O'Meley (hamstring).

AAP
Fox Sports

Kingytek
17-07-07, 02:31 PM
Titans squad: Preston Campbell, Jake Webster, Josh Graham, Brett Delaney, Smith Samau, Matt Hilder, Josh Lewis, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Ian Donnelly, Gavin Cooper, Mark Minichiello, Luke Swain. Interchange: Daniel Conn, James Stosic, Kris Kahler, David Myles.

patskE
17-07-07, 03:22 PM
man campbell really needs to stand up with prince gone
tbh pretty strong looking side on paper
i would of dropped donnelly to the bench but tbh

Coaster
17-07-07, 07:19 PM
man campbell really needs to stand up with prince gone
tbh pretty strong looking side on paper
i would of dropped donnelly to the bench but tbh

Why?

He has been one of our best forwards.

Thats about the only selection Carty got right

Chaos
17-07-07, 08:16 PM
Whether Josh Lewis handles half back or not...he will definately benefit by the experience and once Prince is back, the best halve combination in the NRL will be even stronger.

I don't know how many points we need to make the top 8 but if Prince is out for the next 3 games...I'd be happy to win 1 game.

Anyway...we do have a good chance in this clash if the Bulldogs start using their brains.

Rage
17-07-07, 08:28 PM
Whether Josh Lewis handles half back or not...he will definately benefit by the experience and once Prince is back, the best halve combination in the NRL will be even stronger.

I don't know how many points we need to make the top 8 but if Prince is out for the next 3 games...I'd be happy to win 1 game.

Anyway...we do have a good chance in this clash if the Bulldogs start using their brains.

Only need 4 wins to get into the semis
sounds possible but they reallly need to sharp up and get back on track to the team that won 4 games in a row

i think they'll make it

Chaos
17-07-07, 08:36 PM
Well, if we win 1 while Prince is out...I back us the win the next three with him in the side.

patskE
18-07-07, 01:41 AM
is rogers n laffanci bak next week?

lonegull
18-07-07, 08:13 AM
there was talk that laffranchi trained very solid yesterday, but carty isnt going to rush him in

Coaster
18-07-07, 09:24 AM
Its time for the team to think on there feet.

Watching melbourne the other night just shows what a team can do if they have multipull game plans, and the patience to work out which one they need.

when we have the ball
They are sliding in defence - we straighten the angles of our runners
If they come up and in in defence - we look to offload, and hit the fringes

If they put 3-4 players in and slow the play the ball- we have 2-3 forwards running in a bunch each play with tip ons.
When they start to spread out more- we look for the quick play the ball.

Wayching the storm the other night showed me how easy the game can be if players are just smart enough to think on there feet. And have the right information to carry out simple plans.

But of course, you cant do anything without holding on to the footy.

In defence it all just works the oppisite

DIEHARD
18-07-07, 11:02 AM
Cool hand Lewis can take heat

HE is about to shift into the hottest seat on the Gold Coast, but Titans playmaker Josh Lewis has declared he is not feeling the heat.

The 21-year-old Lewis will take over skipper Scott Prince's No.7 jumper when the Titans collide with the Bulldogs at Gold Coast Stadium on Friday night, looking to steady the ship in the wake of their 56-10 flogging from Canberra at the weekend.

Lewis has performed well for the Gold Coast following a controversial mid-season transfer from the Sydney Roosters, but while he has so far been playing second fiddle to Prince, Gold Coast fans and his Titans teammates will now be looking to him to lead the attacking charge.

"We will simplify our game a bit more now that he (Prince) is gone," said Lewis yesterday.

"For me there will be a bit more responsibility but there also will be for the hookers and the five-eighth.

"I think everyone will have to pick it up a little bit.

"It will be up to me to get our forwards going and get my kicking game on and then we can turn their big fellas around.

"We just need to stick together."

It may come as a surprise to learn that Lewis has spent most of his career playing halfback and not five-eighth.

He was a halfback all through his junior days before making his NRL debut in the No.7 last year and going on to play 11 first grade games for the Roosters.

"I have played most of my footy there before, so I really don't mind playing seven," said Lewis. "Playing six has actually been something a bit different."

Prince aggravated his collarbone injury in the 47th minute of the Canberra's demolition of the Titans on Sunday and will be out for the next three weeks.

The team clearly missed Prince when he left the field, but Lewis is confident it won't be the same story against the Dogs.

"When he went off I think everyone put their heads down a little bit more, but we were already trailing by about 20-30 points when we lost him," said Lewis.

"We have pretty much forgotten about that now and we are concentrating on the Bulldogs."

Utility Matt Hilder will move from the back row into the pivot role, while Preston Campbell will remain at fullback but is expected to slot into the halves throughout the match.

New Zealand international winger Jake Webster and former Super 14 rugby centre Josh Graham have been recalled to the starting side to replace Matt Petersen (knee) and Luke O'Dwyer (shoulder) respectively.

Kiwi prop James Stosic is expected to make his return from a medial ligament tear and take his place on the bench.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/

bigjim
18-07-07, 02:15 PM
It's funny. I'm actually looking forward to this game.

Not because I think we can win. But rather, because I think we are going to loose.

All the experts and commentators are tipping a loss, so there is less anticipation or expectation on the players.

I 'm looking forward to enjoying the night, albeit a little chilly, a few beverages, a cold hotdog, a few burnt chips, good company and some good footy.

But if we win.:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

jenny
18-07-07, 05:39 PM
Cool hand Lewis can take heat

Luke Turgeon

18Jul07

HE is about to shift into the hottest seat on the Gold Coast, but Titans playmaker Josh Lewis has declared he is not feeling the heat.

The 21-year-old Lewis will take over skipper Scott Prince's No.7 jumper when the Titans collide with the Bulldogs at Gold Coast Stadium on Friday night, looking to steady the ship in the wake of their 56-10 flogging from Canberra at the weekend.

Lewis has performed well for the Gold Coast following a controversial mid-season transfer from the Sydney Roosters, but while he has so far been playing second fiddle to Prince, Gold Coast fans and his Titans teammates will now be looking to him to lead the attacking charge.

"We will simplify our game a bit more now that he (Prince) is gone," said Lewis yesterday.

"For me there will be a bit more responsibility but there also will be for the hookers and the five-eighth.

"I think everyone will have to pick it up a little bit.

"It will be up to me to get our forwards going and get my kicking game on and then we can turn their big fellas around.

"We just need to stick together."

It may come as a surprise to learn that Lewis has spent most of his career playing halfback and not five-eighth.

He was a halfback all through his junior days before making his NRL debut in the No.7 last year and going on to play 11 first grade games for the Roosters.

"I have played most of my footy there before, so I really don't mind playing seven," said Lewis. "Playing six has actually been something a bit different."

Prince aggravated his collarbone injury in the 47th minute of the Canberra's demolition of the Titans on Sunday and will be out for the next three weeks.

The team clearly missed Prince when he left the field, but Lewis is confident it won't be the same story against the Dogs.

"When he went off I think everyone put their heads down a little bit more, but we were already trailing by about 20-30 points when we lost him," said Lewis.

"We have pretty much forgotten about that now and we are concentrating on the Bulldogs."

Utility Matt Hilder will move from the back row into the pivot role, while Preston Campbell will remain at fullback but is expected to slot into the halves throughout the match.

New Zealand international winger Jake Webster and former Super 14 rugby centre Josh Graham have been recalled to the starting side to replace Matt Petersen (knee) and Luke O'Dwyer (shoulder) respectively.

Kiwi prop James Stosic is expected to make his return from a medial ligament tear and take his place on the bench.
GOLD COAST BULLETIN

squirrell
18-07-07, 09:02 PM
Chaos
QLD Cup Titan -------------------------------------

Well, if we win 1 while Prince is out...I back us the win the next three with him in the side.
If princeys out for 3 then hes back for...warriors away,roosters home,sharks away and the storm away.big call to say you back us to win 3 of those!!!

Chaos
18-07-07, 11:14 PM
Chaos
QLD Cup Titan -------------------------------------

If princeys out for 3 then hes back for...warriors away,roosters home,sharks away and the storm away.big call to say you back us to win 3 of those!!!

Sqirrell,

With Prince and Laffranchi back, some half back experience for Lewis and I assume Preston will be sorted out by then...I can't see the Warriors, Roosters or Sharks beating us.

DIEHARD
19-07-07, 11:24 AM
Warriors and Melbourne away, terribly hard fixtures.

Boofhead
19-07-07, 02:19 PM
Warriors and Melbourne away, terribly hard fixtures.
I'm hoping Bellamy rests some of the marquee players for the Semi's. He made a statement at the last post-game press conference saying that he is considering resting some of those players.

Coaster
19-07-07, 02:23 PM
I hope they dont rest players, i want to see our boys stand up and beat these sides full strengh.

I have no doubt that we can beat the warriors , and we allready beat the sharks, that leaves storm. They are the yard stick, i want to see where we stand.

Titanium_BD1103
19-07-07, 04:18 PM
Source: Bulldogs Media

Adam Brideson has travelled to the Gold Coast with the team as 19th Man, but the team is currently all fit and he is only there as a precaution in case something does happen between now and tomorrow night.

jenny
19-07-07, 04:38 PM
Titans squad for Bulldogs clash

19 July

THE Gold Coast Titans have named their squad to play the Bulldogs at Carrara Stadium on Friday night. The squad is:

1. Preston Campbell
2. Jake Webster
3. Josh Graham
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Josh Lewis
8. Luke Bailey (c )
9. Nathan Friend
10. Ian Donnelly
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain
14. Daniel Conn
15. James Stosic
16. Kris Kahler
17. David Myles
GC Bulletin

tom91
19-07-07, 04:39 PM
once we get prince,laffranchi,rogers etc.. back wel have a great side and we could even beat melbourne

patskE
19-07-07, 04:53 PM
i got a good feeling for some reason
this nrl has be :S
teams who get smash one week come bak
i jsut feel we can do this without prince, lewis n campbell will step up

dean
19-07-07, 06:32 PM
Titans squad for Bulldogs clash

19 July

THE Gold Coast Titans have named their squad to play the Bulldogs at Carrara Stadium on Friday night. The squad is:

1. Preston Campbell
2. Jake Webster
3. Josh Graham
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Josh Lewis
8. Luke Bailey (c )
9. Nathan Friend
10. Ian Donnelly
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain
14. Daniel Conn
15. James Stosic
16. Kris Kahler
17. David Myles
GC Bulletin

Just heard on channel seven news that Chris Walker has been named 18th man as both Kahler and Stosic are still in some doubt. Most interesting news was that Walker trained in the fullback position. I'd love to see him back against the doggies especially if he plays at fullback.

patskE
19-07-07, 06:54 PM
well if 2 forwards in doubt, maybe hilder to lock, swain to 2nd row, campbell to 5/8 n walker to fb

Tamwelg
19-07-07, 07:36 PM
Just heard on channel seven news that Chris Walker has been named 18th man as both Kahler and Stosic are still in some doubt. Most interesting news was that Walker trained in the fullback position. I'd love to see him back against the doggies especially if he plays at fullback.

Yep I heard that as well and would love to see him back in first grade. My tip is Stosic will be given another weeks rest, Campbell to 5/8, Hilder to the bench to strength the forwards and Walker in at fullback.

jenny
19-07-07, 07:48 PM
Prince, Mason out to balance ledger

July 19, 2007 - 7:23PM

The loss of injured star players Willie Mason and Scott Prince balances the ledger for Friday's NRL clash between the Bulldogs and Gold Coast at Carrara.

That's the opinion of Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes as both injury-ravaged teams head into the round 19 televised match missing several key players.

Asked what impact Prince's absence would have on the Titans, Folkes told AAP before training at Carrara: "He probably means as much to them as someone like (Willie) Mason means to us.

"It's a fairly even set of circumstances for both teams.

"We've got about a dozen guys out of our top squad but it should be about the players who are playing.

"We'll send out 17 willing soldiers tomorrow."

Prince will be sidelined for up to three weeks following a recurrence of a collarbone injury during Canberra's 56-10 thrashing of the Titans last weekend.

The Bulldogs are missing star forwards Mason (wrist) and Mark O'Meley (hamstring), along with Cameron Phelps (fractured cheekbone), Matt Utai (leg) and Kane Cleal (broken jaw).

Beefy prop Fred Briggs has been plucked from the obscurity of park football to fill Mason's shoes in a bold move by Folkes.

At least the Bulldogs welcome back internationals Sonny Bill Williams and Willie Tonga following their shock loss to Penrith while Gold Coast still have former Wallaby Mat Rogers (knee) and tough backrower Anthony Laffranchi (knee) in the casualty ward.

Coach John Cartwright said he wasn't feeling any more relaxed about the absence of O'Meley and Mason for the match at Carrara, where the Titans have won five out of seven matches.

"They've still got representative players all over the park," Cartwright pointed out.

"I know they have been hit by some injuries but you only have to look at their list and they're a very damaging side.

"They've got the best back-row in the competition outside of the Sharks."

It's a fair call when one considers the damage that Sonny Bill Williams, Andrew Ryan and Reni Maitua can cause in both attack and defence.

Titans utility Matt Hilder said his team had focused on shutting down Williams, who leads the NRL in number of off-loads (46).

"You know he's going to do some kind of damage in the game, you just have to try and restrict it," said Hilder, who's been named at five-eighth, with Josh Lewis shifting to halfback as Prince's replacement.

Speculation is rife that former Queensland State of Origin flyer Chris Walker will play at fullback against the Bulldogs, with Preston Campbell shifting into the halves, but Cartwright wasn't giving anything away.

"We've got a squad of 18 there, we'll sort that out tomorrow," he said.

With both teams on 18 points on the NRL ladder, it's a crunch match for the combatants but Cartwright played down its importance.

"No one's going to hit any panic buttons," he said.

"We're trying to get all that talk out of our system. We probably let it get to us too much.

"It's just about going out and performing well."

? 2007 AAP

Titanium_BD1103
19-07-07, 08:22 PM

Briggs lives out NRL dream
17/07/2007 6:02:48 PM
Adam Lucius
Sportal

A 27-year-old park footballer who thought his dream of playing in the NRL was over has landed a spot on the Bulldogs' bench for Friday night's important clash with the Gold Coast at Carrara Stadium.

Part-timer Fred Briggs, who supplements his footy income with carpentry work, will make his top grade debut at an age when most players are approaching their senior years.

He comes into a Canterbury side decimated by injury and can't believe how his fortunes have changed inside 12 months.

"I thought it was all over for me last year when I was playing A Grade for La Perouse (in the Souths Sydney junior league)," Briggs told Sportal.

"Souths wanted nothing to do with me and it didn't look like my footy was going anywhere."

But after working with noted Bulldogs trainer Gary Carden to harden his 105kg frame over summer, Briggs started the 2007 season with renewed goals.

After four games with the Sydney Bulls in the Jim Beam Cup, the journeyman prop was elevated to Canterbury's Premier League side and now finds himself in the NRL seven weeks out from the finals.

"I've matured at an older age," Briggs explained.

"I wasn't really taking my footy seriously but after working really hard with Gary over the off-season I felt really good and wanted to do something this year."

"I'm about the same size but I'm a lot more mobile and a lot more confident."

"I suppose it's a bit of a surprise to get a call-up at my age but I think I can do the job."

Sydney Bulls director David Francis is convinced Briggs will handle the step up to NRL level, but admits he wasn't always so sure.

"Fred was just happy to play with his mates and wasn't great at training but Canterbury liked what they saw in him and persevered," Francis told Sportal.

"He is a hard and tough and quick for his size and he won't let them down."

International Sonny Bill Williams, who will return from injury against the Titans, is impressed with his new team-mate's rapid improvement.

"Gaz (Carden) has done wonders with him and he's really stepped up to the plate this year," Williams said of Briggs.

"He's been killing them in Premier League and now he's got a shot I'm pretty sure he'll be keen to go out there show them what he can do."

I am so happy to see one of the typical everyday guys of this game get a shot at the big time... especially someone as down to earth as Fred... :)

Briggsy is an example of why you should never give up on a dream, why you should always work hard and why you should always give 100%.. as you never know when that opportunity just might come around the corner... ;)

He has provided much hope to many people that you can achieve your goals if you believe and that an everyday average joe and can make their dreams come true, with some hardwork and constant effort... :D :D

I have come to really admire this bloke in the past week, having read his story and his journey through the league. I hope he has an awesome debut off the bench, as it would be rewarding for what he has done and a true demonstration to all that you are never too old to be a main player in this game.

GO BRIGGSY GO... THE BULLDOGS FANS ARE BEHIND YOU 100% and wish you all the best..:woot:

DIEHARD
20-07-07, 10:41 AM
Story going around at the moment that Chris Walker may play, he'll be fullback, with Preston moving into the halves beside Lewis with Hilder to the bench.

I like the sounds of that myself.

jenny
20-07-07, 10:53 AM
Fab four to fix the gap left by Prince
Luke Turgeon

20Jul07

THE Titans will head into tonight's crunch clash with the Bulldogs at Carrara packing a four-pronged attacking rotation in an effort to fill the gaping hole left by injured skipper Scott Prince.

Taking the field for the first time without their star playmaker, the Titans will rely on a combination of halfback Josh Lewis, five-eighth Matt Hilder, fullback Preston Campbell and hooker Nathan Friend to call the shots.

The Coast's attack has revolved around Prince so far this season.

The premiership winning captain has set up the most tries in the NRL (21) and created the second highest number of line breaks, behind only Cowboy Johnathan Thurston.

Prince, who is sidelined for up to three weeks with a chest/collarbone injury, is also the league's leading kicker, with 208 in general play so far this year.

While the bulk of the responsibility will fall on the shoulders of 21-year-old Lewis and part-time No.6 Hilder, experienced playmaker Campbell and crafty rake Friend will step up their involvement in Prince's absence.

"We all will have to take our fair share of the responsibility this week with Princey being out," said Campbell, a former Dally M medal-winning five-eighth.

"So much play goes around him and he is so cool at it.

"But I think that with us four there I am sure we will be all right if we share the responsibility.

"We know the game plan and we know the structure we need to put in place and I am sure if we talk enough and the communication is there we will be right."

Campbell spent most of his career at five-eighth with Cronulla and Penrith before Titans coach John Cartwright was forced to manufacture a fullback.

Cartwright said he would be looking to 175-game veteran Campbell to venture out of his fullback role and get more involved in the halves.

"Nathan Friend also needs direction and talk to him -- No.6, No.7 and No.1 need to give him plenty of direction.

"They are all new together and haven't played together before (without Prince) so we need them all to step up to the mark.

"They trained really well but it is always easy when there is no one in front of you."

Lewis, who has been impressive for the Titans since switching from the Sydney Roosters mid-season, will fill the big shoes of Prince and don the No.7.

The 21-year-old, who has just 19 first grade games to his credit, said he was not feeling overwhelmed by expectation.

"There is more onus on me and I am looking forward to it," said Lewis. "It is a bit of a challenge, I would never be able to take Princey's spot or anything but hopefully I can do a good job until he gets back and we can get a few wins on the board.

"There is a bit more responsibility for me but there is not much difference."

The Titans are in ninth spot on the NRL ladder with 18 competition points and are out to snap a three game losing streak, which culminated in the biggest defeat in their history against Canberra last week.

The Bulldogs are in eighth spot, also on 18, but ahead of the Coast on for and against.
GC Bulletin

Titanium_BD1103
20-07-07, 10:53 AM
I find that worrying TBH... :laugh:... but that's cause I'm blue and white tonight.... :D

It certainly strengthens the side and having Campbell playing in his more natural position of the halves will mean the Dogs will need to be on their A game, otherwise he might just give the boys a lesson... especially with Lewis beside him.

Walker is a solid competitor at fullback and considering his QLD Cup form, a real threat if he gets it right... this would only be for the benefit of the GC if it was to occur.

jenny
20-07-07, 10:54 AM
Patten warns teammates over `cornered' Titans

Adam Gardini

20Jul07

BULLDOGS fullback Luke Patten has warned his teammates not to underestimate a Titans outfit with their backs against the wall heading into tonight's blockbuster at Gold Coast Stadium.

Despite the injury crisis threatening to derail the Titans' inaugural season, Patten said the combination of `opportunity' and a chance for the Gold Coast to gain redemption after last weekend's 46-point shellacking by Canberra spelt danger for the visitors.

Patten said he had no doubt the Gold Coast would have endured a week of torture under former Bulldogs fitness guru Billy Johnstone since the loss to the Raiders and would be eager to respond.

He also said the injury toll which had crippled the Titans could also have an upside -- with players often shining when handed an opportunity in the absence of their more high-profile teammates.

"I know what it's like especially with Billy -- they probably had a tough week coming into us," said Patten, who spent a year training under Johnstone before the hard-nosed conditioner left the Bulldogs to join North Queensland in 2002.

"I know they've got injuries but blokes can get that opportunity and rise, sometimes they can be harder to play against than blokes that have been there all year so it'll definitely be a tough game.

"It's an important game for both us and the Gold Coast, we're both on the same amount of points (18 premiership points)."

The Bulldogs too have been hit hard by injuries recently with damaging props Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley both injured in last Saturday night's upset 30-20 loss to Penrith.

The predicament has handed an opportunity to little-known prop Fred Briggs to make his NRL debut off the Bulldogs interchange bench in tonight's clash.

Briggs, 27, had spent the year playing for the Sydney Bulls in the Sydney Premier League before the call-up from Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes.

Patten said the inclusion of Briggs and several other relative unknowns for other clubs this week was the positive side to the major player drain being felt by the NRL, with more than 70 regular first-graders currently sidelined through injury.

"Each year it's getting harder on the body," he said.

"That's just footy these days and instead of having a top-25 you need a top-40 or something.

"I guess that's probably not a bad thing either with players getting a start when they probably might not have got a start.

"So there's a positive to it as well because they get a chance and they can show what they do as well."

Patten confessed he had not known much about Briggs before he joined the Bulldogs this week.

"I know he's a pretty solid guy and got a bit of footwork and a bit of an offload so it'll be interesting to see how he goes," said Patten.
GC Bulletin

jenny
20-07-07, 10:55 AM
Redemption in mind as battle with Bulldogs looms

John Cartwright, Titans Coach

20Jul07

REDEMPTION THAT is what we'll be playing for when we run out at Carrara against the Bulldogs tonight.

Last week's 56-10 loss against the Raiders cut deep for everyone, not just the players but the entire coaching staff and our many proud fans.

Every game we head into we aim to win and we went down to Canberra fully expecting to bring two competition points back to the Gold Coast.

We thought we were ready for everything they could throw at us. We even went down early to prepare for the frosty conditions, but for whatever reason our game imploded.

We lost a few to injury and before we knew it a try would lead to another try and our confidence dropped. We were bitterly disappointed with the way the scoreline blew out down there. But these things happen. This week we are looking for redemption as a way of putting last week totally out of out memory.

This week is not about winning or losing, it is not about the Titans keeping themselves in the top eight.

It is totally about restoring the pride in our jumper, not only in our fans' eyes but in our own.

If we can come off after the Bulldogs game and be totally satisfied with the effort we put in, the hunger we showed and know that each player gave 110 per cent for the bloke standing next to him, I will be happy.

You see, you learn things every week in this competition.

Last week we totally expected to go down to Canberra and beat a side that was below us on the competition table.

But you just can't go into games expecting to win.

What you can expect is to go into every game and give it all you have got and leave nothing left in the tank. If that is enough to get a win than so be it.

* IT WILL be our first game without co-captain and playmaker Scott Prince this week.

We have had a few weeks where he has been in doubt so far this year, so it has been in the back of my mind that one day we will have to run out without him.

Princey is a dominant player and every side which does have a dominant player like that is going to struggle if they lose him.

History shows us that.

You only have to look at what the Broncos can do without Darren Lockyer, or the Knights, who went without Andrew Johns for the season in 2005 and got the wooden spoon. Now that was not long after they won a grand final with him there in 2001.

When players like Lockyer, Johns and Prince get their hands on the ball as often as they do they are hard to replace.

Add to it the fact they just feel comfortable with the guys around them, their entire surrounds and that they are confident in their own ability and it is easy to see how just one player can transform a side.

It is very hard when they are forced out for someone to come in and feel just as confident, and have the players around him know him as well as they did the bloke before.

Actually, it is near impossible.

We are going to have to change our game up a little bit to accommodate a new pairing in the halves in Josh Lewis and Matt Hilder.

But at the end of the day they are first grade footballers and they will adapt to it. But how we adapt to it will probably determine the result.

* A LOT of clubs don't like the short turnaround but it has been good for us coming off such a bad loss.

We have had only two training sessions since last Sunday, but it has allowed us to focus on the job ahead of us, work really hard in pursuit of that and put Canberra out of our minds.

You are what you do on the field.

These guys are professional footballers and everywhere you go people want to know about the side, people want to talk about your last game.

And people want to talk about how you were last seen, and we aren't happy with how we were last seen.

The plan this week is to go out and redeem ourselves.
GC Bulletin

Steve
20-07-07, 11:10 AM
Another great article from Hoss.

Hopefully the players feel as inspired as I do now, and get out there and rip into the dogs, Prince or no Prince.

patskE
20-07-07, 06:37 PM
any word on walker?

Cowboy Titan
20-07-07, 08:38 PM
Half Time: Titans 6 Bulldogs 24

Some very poor defensive efforts there. Hopefully Carty can convince them to maintain a straight line of defence. Their one out defensive runs are opening up too many holes.

Great work from Bailey with his late try.

I think Walker should be playing full back in defence rather than Preston. Preston hasn't seemed too interested in trying to make the try saving tackles.

RobJ
20-07-07, 09:45 PM
Bugger...........too many missed tackles...couldn't get momentum at all.....

Another great game from Bailey

Some stupid penalties to give away any hope we had of a roll.....

Some defence......appalling......Gilly will kill them at training..

hang in there guys........

Parra Petty
20-07-07, 09:56 PM
Hey everyone,

I don't think that the Titans played that badly considering the talent that was sitting on the sidelines - I thought that Walker should have started at the back from the kick-off, so as Preston could move into the halves to help out poor Lewis.

Bailey was once again an inspiration, but even though the 'Dogs scored six tries, I beleive that the Titans have too many defensive players, and not enough try creators. Delaney and Graham don't offer that much in attack for mine, but I guess 'Carty' is just biding his time until Mat returns.

Anyway, here is my match report of anyone is interested -

http://www.league.net.au/bulldogs-thrash-titans/

Cheers,

Parra Petty

PROMETHEUS
20-07-07, 10:06 PM
I think weve done exceptionally well this year, considering:
1.Injuries
2.New team

Hopefully next year,with 12 months of playing together,depth in the forwards and injury free we can really shake the comp.

Coaster
20-07-07, 10:15 PM
Hey everyone,

I don't think that the Titans played that badly considering the talent that was sitting on the sidelines

I beleive that the Titans have too many defensive players, and not enough try creators.
http://www.league.net.au/bulldogs-thrash-titans/

[COLOR=black]Cheers,

Parra Petty

Hmmm

That doesnt make sence to me, are we too defensive, did we get thrashed, did we play well?

Coaster
20-07-07, 10:21 PM
I am not happy about another flogging.

I dont care who we send out there we shouldnt be defensivly weak.

There is not one tackle a game we dominate imo, we are constantly pushed over, forever being penalised for holding becuase we have let them land on the belly. and always on the back foot.

There has to be a time in a young clubs life that they say we are not going to be pushed around any more. And if it doesnt come in the next 6 weeks, then we can settle back and kiss 2008 good bye also.

Teams come to play us with the mentality of smashing us, look at SBW tonight, and the half time game plan from Folkes.

We are the softest team in the comp, and there is no reason for it.

I can handle losing a game, i just hate being man handled by a bunch of 18 year old kids

Steve
20-07-07, 10:33 PM
Way too many stupid mistakes. Very disappointing.
I thought Preston started well, but then seemed to get a bit quieter. I really don't think he's 100% fit. He made a couple great tackles, but didn't even try on Patten. He'll normally throw himself infront of anyone, which is why I think there's a problem.

Bailey put in a real captain's knock, but as hard as he tried, couldn't do it all himself, especially with the guys out wide doing their best to open up the try line for the dogs.

Rage
20-07-07, 10:44 PM
i thought preston was doing good as welll in the begining

:( i miss the team that won 4 in a row

the finals are slipping further and further away

Parra Petty
20-07-07, 10:44 PM
Hmmm

That doesnt make sence to me, are we too defensive, did we get thrashed, did we play well?

Hey Coaster,

The Titans dominated possession for the opening twenty minutes of the game, but could not coem up with tries due to al ack of options in attack - had Rogers or Prince been there than tries probably would have resulted.

If the Titans convert their chances into points by having centres that can create tries or score them, than they tke an early lead, and thus have the Bulldogs (who I beleive weren't a 24 point better side on the night) chasing points.

Simple mistakes cost the Titans the game, but also their inability to convert pressure into points through a lack of craetivity cost them.

Cheers,

Parra Petty

BringBackWillie
20-07-07, 10:45 PM
How great was Bailey. I was on NRL Live watching the stats and figures go though and look at his hit-ups, tackle count and all! Lead by example...

Didn't hear how Walker went on his return. Can anyone enlighten me?

Cowboy Titan
20-07-07, 10:52 PM
Didn't hear how Walker went on his return. Can anyone enlighten me?He didn't get alot of opportunity with the ball. He went close to making a line break. Hopefully next week he'll get to play fullback or wing for the whole game.

TITAN FOREVER
20-07-07, 11:43 PM
Hey Coaster,

The Titans dominated possession for the opening twenty minutes of the game, but could not coem up with tries due to al ack of options in attack - had Rogers or Prince been there than tries probably would have resulted.

Exactly! Why is it that ever time we seem to get some combination nearly cracking it we have positional changes?? It starting to give me the Sh**ts
can't we hold and see what happens. I thought we looked pretty sharp in the first 20 tonight. Our defence killing us. Can Lewis do anythng but kick?? Thank god for Bails tonight experience makes the diff.

Chaos
21-07-07, 12:04 AM
I liked what I saw from the Titans tonight.
We were never going to win that one without Prince, Laffranchi and Rogers.
We created some good roll around the ruck but couldn't capitalise without Prince.
Josh Graham showed some good signs, even though he was caught out a few times in the centre defending beside the inside men also not reading the play.

I can't say Preston played well but at least he had a go this week.
Walker and Preston looked lost swapping roles at the back.

One thing I have to say to Preston if your reading this...don't think your big enough to defend on the defensive line next to the ruck.
Push your forwards in and start reading the outside play. No defender outside you will mark their man, they know they have to help you.

jenny
21-07-07, 09:22 AM
Bulldogs bag comfortable win over Titans

July 20, 2007 - 11:17PM

Damaging back-rower Reni Maitua pleaded with his fellow forwards to continue to carry the workload of injured stars Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley following the Bulldogs' comprehensive 36-12 NRL victory over Gold Coast at Carrara.

Despite missing Mason (wrist) and O'Meley (hamstring), the Dogs consolidate their top-eight spot while consigning the injury-ravaged Titans to their fourth straight loss after man-of-the-match Maitua, Sonny Bill Williams and replacement props Chris Armit and Jarrad Hickey all stepped up.

Bulldogs pair Luke Patten and Daryl Millard bagged two tries apiece in front of a healthy 15,873-strong crowd, while halves Ben Roberts and Brent Sherwin controlled the game with their clever kicking.

"It's very important, especially for the rest of the year, that the forwards stand up and really take control of the pack," said Maitua, also voted players' player after scoring a try and making several crucial breaks.

"We are missing a lot of size up front with Willie and Ogre (O'Meley) being out.

"It goes without saying that there's more responsibility on the back-rowers and guys like Chris Armit and Jarrad Hickey who are starting up front."

The Titans looked a bit lost in attack without injured playmaker Scott Prince (collarbone), relying on prop Luke Bailey to score the home side's only tries, although Josh Lewis tried hard to spark things for his team.

"There's still a fair way to go in this competition - we're not losing sight of that - but at the moment we're in a little bit of a hole," coach John Cartwright admitted.

The Titans' dreams of securing a finals appearance in their inaugural season are evaporating with every loss but Cartwright remains optimistic.

"Maybe we're focusing a bit too much on the play-offs," he said.

"We've still got a long way to go. I think there's a lot of twists and turns left in this competition yet.

"Take a picture of the eight now, I think it's going to be a little bit different come round 25."

The Bulldogs, who have now won four of their past five matches, raced to a commanding 24-6 half-time lead following tries to Millard, Maitua, winger Heka Nanai and Patten, who came off late in the match with a pinched nerve in his shoulder.

Williams lifted his team-mates with some bone-rattling hits on the Titans, who were coming off a demoralising 56-10 loss to Canberra.

Bailey gave the home supporters a glimmer of hope in the 51st minute when he crossed for a soft try - his second for the night - to leave the Titans trailing 24-12.

But the Bulldogs dominated the rest of the half, scoring through Patten (55m) and Millard (59m).

Sharp-shooting goal-kicker Hazem El Masri was again flawless, booting six goals from six attempts.

Cartwright said he was pleased with the comeback of winger Chris Walker, who came off the bench in his first NRL match since round one.

"I thought he was very sharp and slippery," Cartwright noted. I thought he went really well."

? 2007 AAP

Titanium_BD1103
21-07-07, 09:32 AM
Well what can I say but GOOD WIN BOYS... :D :D

They didn't play at anywhere near 100% last night, but the boys did the job needed and they put together some very promising signs for the Blue and White fight to the finals... :)

I think in the last 20 we did slacken off a little and we need to improve on that aspect... however we always did enough to ensure the GC weren't going to get a point from it... and we definitely didn't play at 100% tonight... there is a lot of room for improvement there.

However in saying that, we made lots of opportunities last night and had Ryan and El Magic held the ball when they got theirs, we could have scored 50 easily.

Top effort by SBW and Reni last night, superb and they just took the leadership role to a whole new level... and they were well supported by Armit and Hickey, especially Luva who played a large part of that first half and who just kept going hard... I am sure he doesn't normally play such long spells.

Briggs was impressive in his debut, as you said, didn't put a foot wrong, didn't drop the ball, wasn't awed by the situation and was quite damaging off the kickoff... he made lots of metres and worked hard, and that is what you ask for a front rower... definite first grader there... :D

The backs were in tune and gave great support, Shifty and Benny, after starting quite poorly got it together and seem to be improving the combination every week and it's starting to look quite ominous.

Overall, there are some very positive signs there, plenty of improvement, but the signs are starting to look good...hopefully as players come back they can slot into the roles that are there and we can keep improving and growing...:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok and now putting my GC hat on and I must say a gallant performance considering the injuries but as many have said on this forum, just not good enough.

I cringe at how wafer thin the defense up the middle is.. I mean Briggsy made 10m running back off every kickoff and SBW and Reni were having a field day carving up the centre of the field... when you allow that you don't just allow a player to get through, but you also set up a quick play the ball on the next play which as the Doggies showed last night, gives quicker ball movement, forces more players in the tackle and leaves the wings wide open.

Speaking of which, I think as a side, GC defend way to much in a cramped sort of style, compacted to the centre of the field... and there is too much running from the outer edges to help out when there should be one on one defense... I mean Graham left his side of the field wide open last night by doing it and the Bulldogs capitalised big time.

Well done to Josh Lewis last night, he had a solid game and really tried hard, creating some nice plays but I don't think he got any support last night besides from Bull Bailey, who once again gave a 10/10 captains performance and who made me smile when he confused the defense of the dogs... :)

To finish off, Preston needs to get more leadership... he is way off confidence ATM and he needs to find it quickly or it could be a long season... as he is really struggling and without his leadership the whole side seems to be devoid in where to go once it creates an opportunity.... there were so many there last night, however the finishing was atrocious... and had the Bulldogs been the Storm, there may have been 60 scored against.

The Titans are going to have to dig deep to come back, but there were some good signs there... however, the team will need to fix the defensive issues and strengthen the middle of the field if they have any chance of getting it back in the groove this season.

Go_The_Doggies
21-07-07, 01:45 PM
Woot go the wounded bulldogs :D

I only seen the first half, as since the basketball was on I didnt get to see the game till 11:30pm, and fell asleep at halftime lol.

In the first half, Maitua, Sonny Bill, Tonga and Patten all really stood out for me, and it was great to see Heka score :D woot. Oh Millard was good too.

6th now, lets hope results go our way.

jenny
21-07-07, 05:19 PM
Titans 'too focused' on making finals

July 21, 2007 - 11:56AM

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has urged his players to focus on their individual performances rather than securing an NRL finals berth.

The pressure is mounting on the Titans following their fourth consecutive defeat on Friday night - a 36-12 mauling at the hands of the Bulldogs at Carrara.

The NRL newcomers must defeat South Sydney at Telstra Stadium on Saturday night to not only snatch a valuable two points but to help restore confidence in the injury-ravaged squad missing a swag of players, including halfback Scott Prince (collarbone).

They need to win four of their remaining six games to secure a top eight spot and face daunting trips to Auckland and Melbourne in the next few weeks.

"The pressure is there every week to perform but we are getting down to the wire now," Cartwright noted.

"It is a big focal point - the finals series coming up - but we just have to worry about improving our individual performances and that'll help our team performance.

"Maybe we're focusing a bit too much on the play-offs.

"We've still got a long way to go. I think there's a lot of twists and turns in this competition yet.

"Take a picture of the eight now, I think it's going to be a little bit different come round 25."

The Titans were completely outclassed by the Bulldogs on Friday night but there were a few positives to emerge from the wreckage, in particular the efforts of inspirational prop Luke Bailey.

The skipper's impressive stats read two tries, two line breaks, 49 tackles, 16 hit-ups and 171 metres.

Battling back from a knee injury and a lengthy in-house suspension for a drunken incident in April, Chris Walker returned to first grade off the bench but he had few opportunities to make an impact.

The Bulldogs held an 18-0 lead before Walker even touched the ball.

"I thought he showed some really good signs," Cartwright said.

"He just couldn't break free there a couple of times but then again when we're going well he's away and scoring tries.

"He'll improve from that. He's been out of the game at first grade level for a while (four months) and he's coming off the back of a knee injury.

"He's done everything asked of him."

Walker played at centre before interchanging with Preston Campbell at fullback in the second half against a rampant Bulldogs.

Asked whether Walker had won back the confidence of his teammates, Campbell replied: "I don't think he had any problem in the first place.

"When he's around the boys he's right. He's a top trainer and he gives his all when he's out playing."

Cartwright said he expected workhorse back-rower Anthony Laffranchi and possibly Mat Rogers (both knee) to return against the Rabbitohs, although former Wallaby star Rogers is more likely to play against Wests Tigers at Carrara on August 4.

The coach said he was concerned about the team's defensive lapses, with the Titans conceding a massive 92 points in their past two matches.

"It's something we were pretty good at doing early in the year but the last two weeks, it's gone away from us," he said about the Titans' defence.

"It's a big confidence factor at the moment and something we just have to turn around."

? 2007 AAP

lonegull
23-07-07, 01:38 PM
a couple of my personal views on the match, thankgod we had bailey in our side he gave 110% great game from the bull, our defence down the short side was terrible they killed us down the shortside with great passes hitting the guys in the hole, also of every scrum we didnt try onre thing different delaney just took the ball up maybe one time the team could have worked a move or something maybe a cut out ball or an inside runner, preston is not a fullback once again he is very non commital to the ball and got caught out in defence at the back and also when defending in the line i think a bench spot is the best, maybe briniging him on in the hooker role remember he carved the panthers up in the trial match coming of the bench. also webster is missing his spark from melbourne looks to me he is just happy to get tackled and play the ball, jake is a great footballer but is alcking either confidence or is carrying a injury which is limiting him in running
they are just a couple of views i have

sdfdgertre
24-11-08, 04:20 PM

yeah , and i think what you have said is so good , and i like play the silkroad game , and i think it is a good game , and it can give me so much pleasure ,