PDA

View Full Version : Hodgson aims for Round 22 return

DIEHARD
12-07-07, 02:41 PM
Bid for return as Hodgson's fears allayed

VERSATILE Titans forward Michael Hodgson has set his sights on a round 22 return against the Warriors just days after fearing his season was over.

In a major morale boost for the injury-ravaged Titans, scans have all but cleared Hodgson of serious damage to his right knee, which he suffered while taking the first hit-up of the game against the Broncos on Friday night.

The scans showed Hodgson's anterior cruciate and medial ligaments were still in tact but he underwent an arthroscopy late yesterday just to confirm the extent of the injury.

"After the game as you can imagine I was extremely down," said Hodgson, who feared he would need a knee reconstruction, which had the potential to sideline him for up to nine months.

"The surgeon didn't want to give me a time limit but he said if all goes well I should be back in under a month.

"It is a lot better than nine months.

"I am very positive.

"I want to get my knee right and get back on the field as soon as possible."

Hodgson had both the anterior and medial ligaments in his right knee reconstructed in 2001 after being hit side-on in a flying tackle from former Bulldogs captain Darren Britt.

He said he was still not quite sure how he hurt himself against the Broncos.

"I stepped off my right foot and it just sort of tightened up," said Hodgson, who can play both the backrow and front row.

"It had been six years (since the reconstruction) and I have played a lot of football since then so it was just something that really caught me by surprise.

"I played the ball and thought it might be just a cork. I was able to defend the next couple of sets but it gradually got worse."

Prop James Stosic (knee) was also forced from the field through injury, followed by utility Clint Amos (concussion), leaving just a one-man bench as the match went into overtime.

"It will be great to get back out there and share the work load," said Hodgson, the second most experienced Titans forward behind Luke Bailey.

"Especially watching what a great effort the boys put in (against the Broncos) -- it was very inspiring."

Titans workhorse Anthony Laffranchi (knee) is scheduled to return in round 20, Stosic is expected back in round 21 while Amos should be fit for next week's clash with the Bulldogs.

Hodgson is disappointed he will miss this Sunday's round 17 encounter against his former club Canberra.

He backed the Titans to return from the nation's capital with the two competition points despite their lengthy injury list.

"You know what Canberra are like, they are rocks and diamonds, the way they play away and home," said Hodgson, of the Raiders good record at Canberra Stadium.

"Coming off a bad loss last week (58-16 against the Dragons) I know they have been under the pump this week so they will be fired up.

"But if it is a good dry track down there.

"It is on a Sunday (afternoon) so it shouldn't be too cold hopefully so I reckon we will go really well."

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/