PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Tigers confident to re-sign Prince

DeeGan
13-11-05, 07:29 AM
Tigers confident to re-sign Prince

12 November 2005

Having just stitched up Benji Marshall for three years, the Wests Tigers are confident halves partner Scott Prince will do likewise and commit long-term to the NRL premiers.

The Tigers on Friday secured Marshall until 2008 on a deal believed to worth $1 million and have now turned their attention to signing Prince, who is off contract at the end of next season.

Prince, on tour with the Kangaroos in Europe, has flagged his intention of testing his worth on the open market, where he is likely to command up to $400,000 a season.

A number of clubs are believed to be interested in the Clive Churchill medallist, including Brisbane, 2007 entrants Gold Coast and North Queensland.

Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce admits salary cap considerations have made things "tight", but is confident the club had enough money to retain the star halfback.

"He's been great for Wests Tigers, Wests Tigers have been great for him - I'm confident he'll stay with the club," Noyce told Sydney radio station 2MMM.

"I've heard the rumours... one minute he's definitely signed with the Gold Coast and the next he's definitely signed with the Broncos and (then) he's definitely signed with North Queensland.

"The pleasing thing this year is that we've had lots of those good kids off contract and they all wanted to stay at the club."

Young guns Robbie Farah, Liam Fulton and Bronson Harrison have all signed new deals to remain with the premiers, while three-quarter Shane Elford walked away from a lucrative deal with South Sydney to remain with his teammates.

Noyce said the loyalty they had shown proved money wasn't the only motivator in negotiations.

"You'd realise three or four years ago nobody wanted to be near Wests Tigers," Noyce said.

"So the first thing is they like the culture, they like the way we play football, the coach. Tim (Sheens) and (assistant coach) Royce (Simmons) are a great combination.

"So if we can put enough structure and culture in the club people want to stay.

"Lots of figures get bandied about but the reality is whilst it will be tight, I am confident we will have enough room for the retention of Scott Prince."

Steve Noyce continues to remain upbeat about retaining Scott Prince and so he should at the minute.

Scott Prince IMO WILL test the open market come July 1, 2006, he will be rather silly to do otherwise given the amount of interest there is in the test halfback.

DeeGan

The Original Idiot
13-11-05, 11:03 AM
Who will they end up cutting to stay inside the cap then?

DeeGan
13-11-05, 02:42 PM
Who will they end up cutting to stay inside the cap then?

Here is the thing...

The Wests Tigers and the Benji upgrade from what I understand will be included in some form with the 2005 cap where the Tigers underspent.

I do not think 'cutting' someone comes in to it unlike say St George who may be forced to unload someone (Matt Head) if they are not able to dump Lance Thompson.

Someone else might be able to expand on the Tigers salary cap.

DeeGan