PDA

View Full Version : Round 18: Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast Titans

Queenslander
26-06-07, 09:10 AM
Canberra Raiders vs Gold Coast Titans
Canberra Stadium, Sunday 15th July, 2:00PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx3322.gifvshttp://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg

Referee: Paul Simpkins

Team Notes:

Raiders

- The CFMEU Canberra Raiders will welcome back Country Origin representative Phil Graham into the line-up this weekend and have recalled halfback Michael Dobson, for the Raiders all important match against the Gold Coast Titans at Canberra Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Graham has been sidelined since injuring his knee in the City/Country representative fixture earlier in the year, and will be a welcome addition to the Raiders backline. Graham’s inclusion sees Marshall Chalk move back to the bench, giving the Raiders a utility player, with Chalk’s ability to cover a number of positions.

- Michael Dobson’s recall to first grade sees the reformation of his partnership with Todd Carney in the halves, and the pair showed earlier in the season that there is plenty of promise in this area. Despite Dobson’s inclusion Raiders Coach Neil Henry has retained Ryan Hinchcliffe on the Raiders bench, with Dane Tilse and Michael Weyman rounding out the interchange.

- Raiders skipper Alan Tongue has been named at lock for the match and will test his injured knee again later this week, but said today that he was confident of being fit for Sunday.

- Joe Picker has been named on an extended Raiders bench to cover for the Raiders Captain as has Trevor Thurling, who is on standby for Scott Logan who is recovering from a hip injury.

Titans

- Scott Prince has been cleared after being hit during a chargedown on Friday Night but has been cleared of any injury and will line up this weekend.

- Prince's teammate, Clint Amos, was not so lucky, being detained for observation after suffering a bad concussion.

- It was a nightmare evening for the Titans who also lost back-rower Michael Hodgson (knee) for the season, continuing a drain on their forward ranks.

- Amos and Hodgson have been been replaced by Daniel Conn and David Myles on the bench with Gavin Cooper moving to the starting lineup in the second row.

Teams:

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_11.gif

1. William Zillman
2. David Milne
3. Phil Graham
4. Colin Best
5. Bronx Goodwin
6. Todd Carney
7. Michael Dobson
8. Troy Thompson
9. Lincoln Withers
10. Scott Logan
11. Nigel Plum
12. Glen Turner
13. Alan Tongue (c)

Interchange:

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Dane Tilse
16. Marshall Chalk
17. Michael Weyman
18. Joe Picker
19. Trevor Thurling (two to be omitted).

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Preston Campbell
2. Matthew Petersen
3. Luke O Dwyer
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Josh Lewis
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. Nathan Friend
10. Ian Donnelly
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14. Matthew Hilder
15. Daniel Conn
16. Kris Kahler
17. David Myles

Rage
09-07-07, 08:25 PM
hmm now that Walker is injured, i don't know who can play fullback unless Presto doesn't play five-eighth
altho Scott Prince might be back

in the event that Prince does;t play, who should play the halves ?

Future Star
09-07-07, 08:37 PM
Oi, Rage...
I think Richie Mathers is available... and if thats true, he'd be my choice at the back.

Presto needs to be in the halves if Scotty is out, they need the creativity!

I think we can pull off a win here. I think our forwards will run over the top of the depleted titans pack. with the extra room given to them, Campo, Carney, and Withers will carve the titans up...

Raiders 1-13 if Scotty DOES play.
Raiders 13+ if Scotty DOESN'T play.

BringBackWillie
09-07-07, 09:22 PM
I think they could move Josh Lewis to half and Preston to 5/8

But let's hope Prince does play!

Capital_Shark
09-07-07, 09:35 PM
I think they could move Josh Lewis to half and Preston to 5/8

But let's hope Prince does play!

That'd be the obvious for mine. But it wouldn't be the first time Carty has raised my eyebrows over some positional selections.

patskE
09-07-07, 09:42 PM
prob jsut get hilder bak to 5/8?
prob be obvisous one i would think
or they goto give a young guy a chance

Social Loafer
09-07-07, 10:07 PM
God I hope Tongue is back.. If we are without him we will struggle again, we already have Costigan out, as well As Bickerstaff who I rate highly but keeps getting injured in Bloody Premier League...

No idea who will be in the halves with Carney this week, he's already played with Campo, Dobson and Withers this season...

Zillman for captain.

Capital_Shark
09-07-07, 10:16 PM
Did Dobson and Campese piss someone off? I can't fathom not playing them against the Dragons Sunday.

I'd have Carney 5/8 with Dobson at half. Campese at lock if Tongue is still out. Maybe even if Tongue is there, play him at 2nd row to cover the losses of Bickerstaff and more so Costigan. A ball playing lock with a massive kicking game and a mobile, skillful and strong 2nd rower in Tongue running nice and wide with Zillman backing up all over the place....

Jesus why didn't I throw my hat in the ring for the coaches job? Probly the early cold mornings put me off.

PROMETHEUS
09-07-07, 10:16 PM
St george did us no favours by walloping canberra this week :(

Hoppy2007Dragons
10-07-07, 10:09 AM
Nick Parfitt for fullback, preston for 5/8 lewis at half if prince is out.

Queenslander
10-07-07, 11:02 AM
Titans squad

1. Preston Campbell
2. Matthew Petersen
3. Luke O Dwyer
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Josh Lewis
7. Scott Prince ?
8. Luke Bailey ?
9. Nathan Friend
10. Ian Donnelly
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange:

14. Matthew Hilder
15. Daniel Conn
16. Kris Kahler
17. David Myles

lonegull
10-07-07, 11:35 AM
Nick Parfitt for fullback, preston for 5/8 lewis at half if prince is out.

cant agree anymore parfitt deserves a shot and can kick goals as a bonus

bigjim
10-07-07, 11:43 AM
St george did us no favours by walloping canberra this week :(

Aint that the truth.:(

We beat Tigers at Campbelltown, we smashed Canberra at Carrara, we'll smash them again in Canberra.:woot: No wucken furries

jenwood
10-07-07, 12:44 PM
cant agree anymore parfitt deserves a shot and can kick goals as a bonus

I'm with you guys on this- Preston can certainly hold his own at 5/8.Didnt he win the Dally M 5/8 award a few years ago? The way Josh Lewis is playing he wouldn't be out of place at half back and giving Princey an extra week to recover will be a great benefit to us when we face the Dogs. They are gathering momentum at the right time and are going to be hard to beat with Mason and SBW playing well. If Sherwin is on his game he has a great kicking game and we will need Princey to be fully fit and raring to go!!!

Coaster
10-07-07, 01:04 PM
It all depends.

If Prince feels fit, and ok.

Then get him out there, no use saving him for other games, this is one we really need to win.

Cowboy Titan
10-07-07, 01:26 PM
Canberra Raiders (http://www.rleague.com/db/year/2007/national_rugby_league/canberra_raiders/index.php)

1. William Zillman,
2. David Milne,
3. Phil Graham,
4. Colin Best,
5. Bronx Goodwin,
6. Todd Carney,
7. Michael Dobson,
8. Troy Thompson,
9. Lincoln Withers,
10. Scott Logan,
11. Nigel Plum,
12. Glen Turner,
13. Alan Tongue (c).

Subs:

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe,
15. Dane Tilse,
16. Marshall Chalk,
17. Michael Weyman,
18. Joe Picker ,
19. Trevor Thurling (two to be omitted).

lonegull
10-07-07, 01:43 PM
probably one of canberra's stongest line up's with tongue and graham back

Hoppy2007Dragons
10-07-07, 02:56 PM
No campese though even on the bench is a bit suprising.

TITAN FOREVER
10-07-07, 04:38 PM
prob jsut get hilder bak to 5/8?
prob be obvisous one i would think

Sounds the obvious to me, seeing he didn't do that bad at 5/8 and they trained him for that position, pre season and he played about 10 games, I thought he went Ok. There's a lot of running defensive 5/8's doing well at the moment. Bird, Smithy Cowboys! Could work well with Lewis who is more kicking 5/8.

Boofhead
11-07-07, 02:41 PM
Raiders v Titans preview

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:14 AM

You?d think it was crunch time for the Raiders; if not it can?t be far away.

While the Titans are still clinging to eighth spot on the NRL ladder, Canberra enter this match in 14th, four points adrift of the top eight with a woeful points differential (-79) due mainly to four straight losses, the last a 58-16 humiliation at the hands of 2007 strugglers St George Illawarra.

It was Canberra?s seventh biggest ever defeat as they missed a mammoth 65 tackles and produced 46 ineffective tackles ? early casualty Scott Logan was the only Raider not to miss a tackle in the match.

It didn?t get any better in attack as they became the first team this year not to have a single player make over 100 metres, with interchange forward Trevor Thurling the best with 98.

Only four Raiders average over 100 metres this year: fullback William Zillman (139m), centre Colin Best (105m), and forwards Neville Costigan (104m) and Logan (100m).

The Titans have five players who average above the ton (Luke Bailey 154m, Ian Donnelly 127m, Anthony Laffranchi 127m, Michael Henderson 107m and Chris Walker 102m) but only Bailey and Donnelly are part of this weekend?s team.

Neil Henry?s mob need to get things back on track fast or face oblivion as the rounds continue to count down towards the finals.

The green machine is hopeful of having inspirational leader Alan Tongue back from a knee injury, and they may well need him, while they?ll also welcome back try scoring ace Phil Graham who was has had 10 weeks off with a knee injury suffered in the City-Country game.

Michael Dobson has also earned a recall from Premier League to once again team up with Todd Carney in the halves.

Injuries are doing their best to conspire against the NRL?s newest team ? with the Titans losing Michael Hodgson (knee), James Stosic (knee) and Clint Amos (concussion) to their already full casualty ward following their golden point loss to the Broncos and although named, halfback Scott Prince is still in some doubt following a big knock to his collarbone.

The pull-outs give Gavin Cooper the chance to start while Daniel Conn, David Myles and Matt Hilder come onto the Gold Coast bench.

Watch out Raiders: Titans co-captain and prop Luke Bailey loves a challenge and the extensive injury list to his side provides just that.

Backing up from Origin Bailey produced 22 runs for 182 metres and added 34 tackles against the Broncos.

His dedication inspired Mark Minichiello to 23 runs for 190 metres, 27 tackles and 14 tackle breaks while Nathan Friend became only the eighth player this year to make over 50 tackles with 54.

Bailey is one ?Bull? who won?t lie down and the Raiders will need to be wary of his wrath.

Watch out Titans: The Canberra side can get physical when they want to, having rattled off 374 dominant tackles (2nd in the NRL) compared to the last-ranked Titans who have 269 to their name.

The Raiders also lead the league in ?big? tackles with 83 compared to a paltry 16 (15th) for the Titans.

If Prince plays, expect the Canberra forwards to do their best to let him know he?s in a contest.

Where it will be won: It quite simply comes down to how well the home side defends.

The Raiders are able to score points;, they are actually ranked eighth in the league in this area ? but they have real problems stopping others score more. Only the Roosters have had more points put past them in 2007 and until this can be rectified, talk of the finals is premature.

The under-strength Titans are the perfect team for the Raiders to muscle up against.

They are heavily reliant on Scott Prince who leads the NRL with 21 try assists so if they bash him with heavy defence in a week when he may be fragile they could go a long way to stopping the Titans? attack.

The Raiders have more line breaks (74 to 58) and have scored more tries (61 to 52) than their opponents so they certainly have the strike power to win the game. But their right-side defence has become one of the NRL?s biggest target areas, now having conceded a massive 35 tries.

The History: Played 1; Raiders 0, Titans 1. The only match-up between the two teams was in round 12 earlier this year where the Titans got away with a 28-8 victory at Carrara Stadium.

Conclusion: The Raiders will be desperate and this game at home against under-strength opposition couldn?t have come at a better time for them.

A loss will make their run home to a possible finals berth very difficult with Melbourne in Melbourne their next assignment.

For the Titans this represents a true test of character.

Their backs are against the wall but a win will give them an incredible boost to their own finals dream.

Match officials: Referee ? Paul Simpkins; Sideline Officials ? Jason Walsh & Allen Foster; Video ref ? Chris Ward.

Televised: Foxsports 3 ? Live 2pm

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

jenwood
11-07-07, 03:05 PM
At least we have a decent ref!!!! lol. We are in with a good chance.
GO TITANS !!!!! GO TITANS !!!!!!!
:test: :test:

jenny
11-07-07, 05:09 PM
Cartwright says semis start now

Adam Gardini

11Jul07

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright has declared his side will be treating their eight remaining matches like semi-finals as the Titans fight to keep their playoffs dream alive.

Starting with Sunday's road trip to the nation's capital to take on Canberra, the eighth-placed Titans will play the majority of their remaining matches away from home and against sides equally as desperate to salvage their finals ambitions.

As the mad scramble for finals spots begins over the last two months of the competition, Cartwright said yesterday the Titans' destiny was in their own hands.

In order to qualify for the finals, the Titans need to record at least four wins from their remaining matches against Canberra (away), Bulldogs (home), Rabbitohs (away), Wests Tigers (home), Warriors (away), Roosters (home), Sharks (away) and Storm (away).

"They're all real semi-final type games leading into the real semis," said Cartwright.

"We're playing a lot of sides that we're jostling for positions with on the table as well.

"That can be a good and a bad thing but we'd like to think of it as a good thing.

"If we can go down there (to Canberra) and take the two points away we can probably put the nail in Canberra's season.

"If we can beat them this week then that's one less club we've got to worry about, so that's a start."

The Titans will head to Canberra on Friday, giving them two days to adjust to the near-freezing conditions.

The early trip down mirrors the Titans' away preparation against the West Tigers in round 14, a match they went on to win at the notoriously tough Campbelltown after previously losing four from five on the road.

It is a formula the Titans hope will work well for them again when they run out at Canberra Stadium.

"It'll be a tough trip down there, they've got a pretty good record at home and they'll be desperate," said Cartwright.

"We have to depart out of Brisbane as well so we are getting down there a day earlier to adjust to the conditions and get over the travel.

"They are never easy in Canberra.

"They are a totally different side when they play down there."
GOLD COAST BULLETIN

Coaster
11-07-07, 05:09 PM
We just got away with a 28-8 victory

whoever wrote doesn't know the awesome side that is the Titans.

Bring on the snow Raiders you will need it.

Gold Coast coming you teach you who is the real capital of Australia

Chaos
11-07-07, 07:10 PM
[B][B]
"If we can go down there (to Canberra) and take the two points away we can probably put the nail in Canberra's season.

"If we can beat them this week then that's one less club we've got to worry about, so that's a start."

I love Carty's thinking going into this game...I can't wait for Sunday afternoon to arrive.

Canberra have a good side named with Carney slotting back to the 5/8 position where he is suited.

Come on big Donnelly...you've been great for us so far...we need a big one from you this weekend!

patskE
12-07-07, 06:36 PM
myles is on the titans site as a 5/8
we will see him in there? who is 18th man?

tom91
12-07-07, 08:30 PM
Man carty is doing a great job as a coach, not only is he a new coach putting together a new side, hes doing a great job of sticking up for his players

DIEHARD
13-07-07, 07:44 AM
Prince in limbo on Canberra raid

GOLD Coast linchpin Scott Prince returned to training for the first time yesterday but is still no closer to knowing if he will recover from his collarbone injury in time to take on the Raiders on Sunday.

Running kicking drills with Titans football manager Scott Sattler and then later with teammates, Prince avoided contact and stood on the sideline as the team ran attacking plays.

Prince, who was taken to hospital as a precaution after being injured during the Titans 19-18 golden point loss to the Broncos on Friday, will travel with the team to Canberra today.

Prince, Titans coach John Cartwright and team doctor Paul Ohmsen will decide if he will play following their final training run in the nation's capital tomorrow.

"At the moment (the injury) is still sore and I am getting physio treatment every day," said Prince.

"I have still got a few more days to recover from it but it is looking all right so far.

"I will know a lot more on Saturday after we train down in Canberra."

When Prince was flattened by teenage Broncos prop David Taylor in a forceful kick charge-down in the dying minutes of the game, initial fears put him out for the season with a broken collarbone.

Scans cleared Prince of a break but revealed damage to his sternoclavicular joint (where the collarbone meets the sternum).

"It is definitely an injury you can play with but it is pretty uncomfortable in certain movements with the arm," said Prince. "It obviously depends on things like being able to take a hit from passing or running with the ball or even tackling somebody.

"At the end of the day from a medical point of view the doc will have some advice for me and then I guess for the coach and myself, all three of us will sit down and decide what is the right thing to do for me long term.

"But if I can't do any more damage to it and it is feeling all right and I can play with the uncomfortable feeling that you get from it then I should be right to go around.

"But we will have to wait and see."

Should Prince fail the fitness test, pivot Josh Lewis will move to halfback while Preston Campbell will shift from fullback to five-eighth.

Rookie winger Smith Samau will most likely go to fullback with Kiwi international Jake Webster returning from a shoulder injury to take his place on the wing.

"They are more than capable," said Prince.

"Whoever steps up to the halfback position will do a fine job and I have got all the faith in the world in them."

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/

DIEHARD
13-07-07, 07:44 AM
Like a Bull at a gate

TITANS hardmen Luke Bailey and Ian Donnelly have promised to stand and deliver in the Gold Coast's time of need when they go head-to-head with a hulking Raiders forward pack in Canberra on Sunday.

The props yesterday vowed to lead from the front against a desperate Canberra side who have lost their past five games and need to win in order to keep their finals dream alive.

The last time they clashed in round 12, a match the Titans won 28-8, Bailey rated the Raiders pack as 'awesome' and was quoted as saying 'they've got some big mongrels in there'.

"Going down there it will be (a massive test), especially going to the freezing cold from the beautiful weather up here," said Bailey.

"I was rapt with what I saw from our guys against the Broncos last week.

"The Broncos are a pretty big pack and even though they had a couple of blokes missing they were still a world-class forward pack.

"I thought we matched them up for 81 minutes.

"I think the boys can do the same this week.

"Not only have we got some size we have got agility, so hopefully we can make those blokes tired a bit.

"If we hold on to the ball and control it we can move them around and do what we want to do and play through them."

The Raiders huge pack boasts the likes of Troy Thompson (105kg), Scott Logan (109kg), Dane Tilse (112kg), Michael Weyman (113kg), Glen Turner (100kg) and Nigel Plum (99kg).

The injury-ravaged Titans will field one of their smallest packs all year, after injuries to forwards James Stosic (knee) and Michael Hodgson (knee).

The Titans will head into the Canberra clash with no recognised props on their bench, with Matt Hilder, Kris Kahler, utility David Myles and rookie Daniel Conn all more at home in the backrow.

"Everyone rates us as one of the smallest packs in the comp but I think we showed against the Warriors and the Broncos that we can handle big packs," said Donnelly.

"Canberra are definitely a big side.

"They have got the likes of Dane Tilse and Michael Weyman who are big boys.

"But as a team I believe we can go forward, with Bull (Bailey) and me leading the boys from the front."

Donnelly said he was expecting a forward orientated battle with or without halfback Scott Prince, who faces a race against time to prove his fitness from a collarbone injury.

"Down in Canberra it is normally a bit dewy on the ground so you normally play a lot down the middle, you don't really go to the edges," he said. "We're expecting a lot of bodies down the middle of the ruck."

After two consecutive losses, the gloss has started to fade on the Titans exciting run home, with the Gold Coast needing to win four of their remaining eight games to stand a real chance of finishing in the top eight.

But Bailey remains confident the Titans will qualify for the playoffs and get their season back on track with a victory over Canberra.

"We were gone from the start of the year from most peoples point of view," said Bailey.

"I think we are going to go all right.

"If Princey misses this week he will be playing next week and we have got Boof (Anthony Laffranchi) and Matty Rogers coming back soon (from knee injuries).

"So if we can hang in there and win two or three games between now and then I have got no doubt at all in my mind that we can still finish well and finish in the top eight."

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/

lonegull
13-07-07, 07:49 AM
got to agree with the bull, canberra have some big boppers maybe we can move them around the field a bit to tire them out, interesting reading where samau will play fullback, i think its a great move he looks like he needs the open spaces and i think this will be great for the team

DIEHARD
13-07-07, 07:54 AM
Titans halfback Scott Prince is expected to play against Canberra on Sunday despite his potentially serious collarbone injury last Friday night against Brisbane.
He took part in kicking practice yesterday, and while he is "not out of the woods yet", according to football manager Scott Sattler, he is still confident the co-captain will play. Jake Webster will travel with the team as a shadow player.
Canberra are expected to be as named.

Social Loafer
13-07-07, 09:13 AM
Hopefully Henry gets Canberra to run at Prince all day. Also get Lincoln to charge out of the line and try put an early shot on him. If Prince Fires we are in trouble, so need to make him nervous.

Future Star
13-07-07, 09:18 AM
Its a shame Costigan is out...

if Costigan laid a big hit on Scotty early on, theres no way he'd be the same!

im a bit surprised about Campese..

even with Dobson back in, he should atleast be playing Bench, or as Sharkie said on the first page, in the back row.

Coaster
13-07-07, 11:47 AM
Lets hope the boys can put a nice low tackle on Tounge and test that injured knee out, we take this guy out and Canberra fall to pieces.

Prince will make Dobson look like a broom handle as he did the first time.

Capital_Shark
13-07-07, 02:32 PM
Hopefully Henry gets Canberra to run at Prince all day. Also get Lincoln to charge out of the line and try put an early shot on him. If Prince Fires we are in trouble, so need to make him nervous.

Weyman has been closing the gab between boxing and footy for the last couple weeks so if all else fails...

Ryan
13-07-07, 02:37 PM
Weyman has been closing the gab between boxing and footy for the last couple weeks so if all else fails...
Do you think Piggy has anything do with that? :rolleyes:

Capital_Shark
13-07-07, 02:42 PM
Do you think Piggy has anything do with that? :rolleyes:

lol yeah Piggy got him started and I don't think he's stopped since. Good on him I say.

patskE
13-07-07, 03:18 PM
"Rookie winger Smith Samau will most likely go to fullback with Kiwi international Jake Webster returning from a shoulder injury to take his place on the wing."

from gcbulletion
that wat will prob happen if prince dosnt play they rkn

DIEHARD
14-07-07, 08:55 AM
Time for Titans to turn up heat

FORMER Raider Kris Kahler says Canberra's fortress-like home ground advantage has lost its sting for the showdown with the Titans thanks to a Gold Coast-friendly competition draw.

The Titans, who are looking to steady their season after two straight losses, flew into the nation's capital yesterday morning, greeted by 1C temperatures.

But by the time they run out tomorrow at 2pm, the mercury will be back hovering around a 'balmy' 10C.

Canberra is considered one of the toughest places in the competition to win, with the harsh icy conditions often putting visiting sides off their game.

"Last year we played a lot of Saturday night matches, which are really cold down here, so the afternoon games are probably a good move from the NRL," said Titans interchange forward Kahler, who spent three seasons with the Raiders from 2004-2006.

"It is going to be a lot warmer than it would be if we were playing at night.

"It used to get very cold and was pretty miserable for the fans and the players so it is definitely going to make it a lot better for everyone except the Raiders."

The Titans risk tumbling out of the top eight with a loss to the 14th placed Raiders, who will be desperate for a win after losing their past four games.

Both clubs' seasons are at the crossroads, with the Titans needing to win at least four of their remaining eight games to challenge for a finals spot and the Raiders needing to salvage six.

"People say Canberra are a hot and cold team but I think that it is more that their opposition either turn up ready to play or not ready to play," said Kahler.

"They are the kind of team that can take advantage of that.

"They have got the strike players there to do the damage and they also have the potential to have big scores against them.

"You just have to turn up ready to play, control the ball and do all the simple things."

Titans co-captain Scott Prince will have a fitness test at training today which will decide if he takes on the Raiders after suffering a collarbone injury against the Broncos last week.

If Prince is ruled out Josh Lewis will move to halfback, with Preston Campbell to five-eighth and rookie winger Smith Samau to fullback, meaning Kiwi international and 18th man Jake Webster will return to the flank.

The Raiders will be boosted by the return of lion-hearted skipper Alan Tongue from a knee injury and representative centre Phil Graham, who has been sidelined also from a knee injury sustained in the City-Country clash in early May.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

Steve
14-07-07, 09:40 AM
If the Raiders concentrate too much on trying to knock Prince out of the game, this will open up space for Lewis to have more of a hand in the attack, also hopefully Preston will start to fire again, giving another attacking option. He'll be used to the cold from his time out at Penrith.

I think big games from Bailey and Donnelly are what we need, and the other forwards really need to step up when those lads are off the field.
We always seem to go soft when Bull heads to the bench.

There's been some big wraps on Conn, so hopefully he can step up and have a blinder.

Social Loafer
14-07-07, 09:58 AM
"People say Canberra are a hot and cold team but I think that it is more that their opposition either turn up ready to play or not ready to play," said Kahler.

Well is setting himself up for a few big hits.. He seems to have a bit of a mouth on him this season , remember when he said he would smash the dogs pack...
Surprising for someone like him to say it because he is probably the most dominated prop in the NRL.

Sydney Titan
14-07-07, 09:31 PM
Hello All,
I can't believe that the Titans are $2.50 for this game, you tell me if the broncos didn't score in the last minute last week and the titans won that how would they be $2.50 tomorrow, the boys finished the game with 13 i think last week and think they are the value bet of the round(before the 3 dogs were ruled out today) and I am telling everyone to get on tomorrow.. Good luck titans..

Throb
14-07-07, 10:16 PM
Regardless who wins this game on Sunday - it should be remembered that the Titans get to come home to the surf, sand and sunshine... While the Raiders get to stay with the snow and ice in the winter, and the sheep and flies in the summer LOL

Yeah bra - this place is the best by far!!!

Capital_Shark
14-07-07, 10:32 PM
Regardless who wins this game on Sunday - it should be remembered that the Titans get to come home to the surf, sand and sunshine... While the Raiders get to stay with the snow and ice in the winter, and the sheep and flies in the summer LOL

Yeah bra - this place is the best by far!!!

I'll take snow, ice, sheep and flies any day if the alternative is Queensland doctors. First Dr Death, now Dr Fundamentalist Nutjob Terrorist.

YEA BRA!

Panthers Wolf
15-07-07, 06:08 AM
I'll take snow, ice, sheep and flies any day if the alternative is Queensland doctors. First Dr Death, now Dr Fundamentalist Nutjob Terrorist.

YEA BRA!

:rolf: true, true...but you have the politicians!!...and lots of circular roads...and suburbs named after pollies with one strange exception...Swingers Hill...

Think I'll stick to Sydney, right in the middle.

Well we have a few of the boys there in the pack who are not afraid of the cold and dewy surface, load 'em up with pocket warmers and they'll be good to go!

Double Yea Bra

PW

C-Whiz
15-07-07, 06:55 AM

YEA BRA!

True, true, but at least you get to spend your sickies down at the beach! :)

Boofhead
15-07-07, 01:53 PM
Halftime
Raiders 24
Titans 10

Poor defense in the last 8 minutes of the half lead the Raiders to score 3 tries.

Boofhead
15-07-07, 02:17 PM
Raiders score after 10 minutes. 28-10

Peterson off injured.
Prince of injured.
Delaney apparently hurt his shoulder.

Boofhead
15-07-07, 02:32 PM
Oh boy...

Heres a massive dent in our finals campaign.

Will the game end already...

matti
15-07-07, 02:44 PM
whats new bring on last place!

Coaster
15-07-07, 02:58 PM
No lube, no kisses

straight forward shafting

Parra Petty
15-07-07, 02:58 PM
Hey All,

Haven't been around for a while, but still support the Titans as my second team!

I just want to know why the Titans didnt let Prince rest his collarbone for one week, considering that they have the physical Bulldogs at Carrara next Friday.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it was always going to take only one solid hit for Prince to go down again.

Anyway, if anyone wants to read my report, than just click on the following link -

http://www.league.net.au/raiders-hammer-titans/

Cheers,

Parra Petty

Steve
15-07-07, 03:00 PM
Ow. :(

DIEHARD
15-07-07, 03:14 PM
That was devastating. Heart breaking to watch.

The last few minutes before half time really hurt us and losing Prince in such mundine circumstances was the nail in the coffin.

I hope Prince and Petersen are ok.

Throb
15-07-07, 03:19 PM
Diehard - What did mundine do?

Boofhead
15-07-07, 03:31 PM
Anyway, I think I heard one of the commentators saying he is out for the season. Peterson that is.

RobJ
15-07-07, 03:33 PM
Ouch

DIEHARD
15-07-07, 03:34 PM
Whoops I meant mundane.

RobJ
15-07-07, 03:34 PM

Gimme a break......

bigjim
15-07-07, 04:38 PM
That was a pretty poor showing.

Please tell me how a team can honestly go from 10-6 up with seven minutes to go before half time, to be 24-10 down at the break. This was before we lost all our players.

What really disappointed me was the lack of effort in defence. Sure we lost a lot of attack with Prince and Petersen, but please, where did all the effort in defence disappear to.

I don't know how many players I saw pushed off, who didn't make a second effort.

We were so much better in attack, this was our game to win. Once Canberra got a sniff, they just ran over the top of us. It was pitiful, and showed an absolute lack of guts or effort. We were like soft butter up the middle.

I don't mind getting beaten, but I hate loosing. The Titans need to learn the difference.:hissyfit"

We'll beat the Bulldogs next week, won't we.:censored:

Smithy
15-07-07, 05:02 PM
One word to answer your question..........No Ticker!!!!...........C'mon boys.

Smithy
15-07-07, 05:04 PM

I think you need to find a new forum........Please.
Did you think we are going to win it in our first year?

matti
15-07-07, 06:25 PM
lol take a joke,,,

Rage
15-07-07, 07:14 PM
So exactly how many injuries do the Titans have? Do they have the biggest injury list in the comp?

and was Preston really that bad?

squirrell
15-07-07, 07:19 PM
longest injury list in the nrl,before this weekend it was 9 first graders{now princey again and peterson}so its either 10 or 11 first graders and that doesnt include the fact that presto might still be carrying a lower back injury.Yes he was bad and as a player that on his day can inspire the whole team with his skill hes now doing the opposite and it must make the players heads drop when mistakes happen in front of your own posts.

Canberra_Titan
15-07-07, 07:58 PM
Hi all,

First post on this forum and wish it was under better circumstances.

I headed out to the game with my wife who is also a Titan's fan god bless her only to see our team crushed in every aspect of the game. Plus we were sitting in the front row and had Prince get injured right in front of us. Poor bugger was lying there while some halfwit three seats next to us is screaming at him that he is a wimp and other more colourful names. Thankfully most of the other Raiders fans joined in with me telling him to shut up and grow up, love to see him play 80 minutes on the field and take the hits Prince takes.

Have to admit I was sitting in one of the worst areas of Raiders fans with two complete halfwits repeatedly telling the Titans they suck and other charming things. You know they are bad when other Raiders fans give them dirty looks. Highlights of the game for me was of course our two tries which show how good we can play and the first twenty minutes of defence. Another highlight was one of the charming Raiders fans telling the Titans to go back to Brisbane :duh: which was met by myself and about seven other people yelling Gold Coast genius, lol, smart guy.

That was not the Titans I have been cheering on since the start of the season but with our injury list how can it be. Great first 20 minutes followed by 60 minutes of some of the worst rugby league played by the Titans this season. Anyway, bring on the Doggies Friday, we are going to carve them up and get our winning way back on track. I'll be happy if we can make the top eight this year but if not there is always next year, GO THE TITANS!!!!

Cheers

Michael

BringBackWillie
15-07-07, 08:24 PM
Shame you couldn't come over and have your wife join the Southern Legion Michael. A few of us ventured down for the game... fortunately for us, we were left alone for the entire game. Quite bizarre considering the scoreline.

Pity about the idiots in the Canberra crowd. We've had a few of opposition supporters tell us to "go home" etc. To which we reply, "We can't wait. Surf, sand, sun. What more can we ask for. Glad we don't live in this hole" :)

Fingers crossed re the injuries. We stayed and watched the players get on the bus after the game... it resembled a war-zone hospital:(

Social Loafer
15-07-07, 09:13 PM
. fortunately for us, we were left alone for the entire game. Quite bizarre considering the scoreline.
\

There is no reason to really HATE the titans just yet.. The club isn't exactly close to Canberra and you did take Big Mouth Kahler...

Welcome to Canberra Titans :D

Canberra_Titan
16-07-07, 06:17 AM
Thanks for that,

Next time your down here I will definitely join you guys for the game.

It was good to see the number of young kids over in my area wearing the Titans colours and cheering on the team even when it was getting bad.

Lets wait and see what the injury list looks like and get back on track against the dogs.

My wife and I are planning to fly up to the Gold Coast for the final home game against the Roosters. Can anyone recommend how quickly we should be getting tickets, section of the stadium to sit etc because it always looks like a full house at the Gold Coast.

Cheers

Michael

Panthers Wolf
16-07-07, 07:31 AM
Oowwww the pain...I couldn't even drink! Injuries galore. Gobsmacked.

Still...there is always next weeks game. No doubt the boys will be hammeriing themselves over this tragedy and although a shocker of a game we won't be giving up on them. NFW!
We're just playing possum right now so we can make that fianl charging run to the finish line...maybe :)

PW

Titanium_BD1103
16-07-07, 08:46 AM
First time I've said this all season, but that was disappointing from the boys... :(

They didn't play with the heart we've seen all season, sure injuries were a huge factor in that, but I have always been amazed how even with everything going wrong, the GC boys have rolled the sleeves up and given it a go... just didn't see that yesterday. We didn't defend well enough and full credit to Canberra, they ripped the GC to shreads and played some very nice football.

Big blow with Prince and makes me wonder why he wasn't rested this week, was always a big risk and one that could now cost the club for the long term... lets hope it isn't too long term. Real shame for Matty P, he has been really a great player this season and to lose him like that... ouch... :(

Will be tough for the next few weeks, but as long as the boys show some pride and never stop fighting, they are always a chance, and could cause an upset or two before this season is up yet... :)

lonegull
16-07-07, 12:31 PM
a couple of positives if you can take any would be hilder spark at hooker, and also conns performance i tohught he went well for his first game this year

patskE
16-07-07, 01:28 PM
didnt get to watch this game due to my sister 18th
its on a 3
do i dare watch it?

lonegull
16-07-07, 01:52 PM
its on a 3
do i dare watch it?

the first 30 minutes are good, but after that all hell brakes loose

patskE
16-07-07, 03:32 PM
ahah i only watched 1st bif of it
then turned to joe dirt
argh
heart breaking

jenny
16-07-07, 08:01 PM
Capital punishment shock for Cartwright
Luke Turgeon
16Jul07

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright said he `didn't see it coming' after the Titans were thumped 56-10 by the Raiders in Canberra yesterday.

After leading 10-6 in the 34th minute, the Titans defence fell to pieces with the Raiders running in nine tries in 46 minutes to embarrass the Titans with their biggest loss.

While stopping short of saying his players threw in the towel after Canberra ran in three quick tries before the break to head into half-time with a 24-10 lead, Cartwright said he was extremely disappointed with the effort shown by his players in defence.

"I didn't see it coming," said Cartwright.

"I was happy with the way we prepared -- I thought we were more than in the game and I had a feeling we could have gone on with it from there. I thought we were getting on top and starting to get on a roll.

"That 18 points in five minutes (before half-time), we just didn't react well to that at all.

"The floodgates opened and there are no reasons, no excuse to get a scoreline like that against you."

In front of a small but vocal crowd, the Raiders looked a completely different side to the one that got pumped 58-16 by the Dragons last week.

While the Titans were still trying to warm up in the freezer-like temperatures, the Raiders got off to a red-hot start with inspirational skipper Alan Tongue making a break and running 25m before setting up winger Bronx Goodwin for the opening try in just the second minute of the match.

The Titans started working their way back into the game but despite commanding the bulk of field position early in the first half, they were unable to penetrate the bruising Raiders defence from close range.

It took a long-range effort in the 18th minute for the Gold Coast to get on the scoreboard.

In-form backrower Mark Minichiello burst through a gap on his own 40m line, offloaded to pivot Josh Lewis, who did well to commit the fullback before turning it outside to flying centre Luke O'Dwyer to score.

A clever Lewis grubber kick resulted in a try to Delaney in the 26th minute, off the back of some entertaining lead-up work which saw the Gold Coast go the length of the field in the one set of six.

But the Raiders snatched back the momentum in the 34th minute and did not look back, with the help of several key penalties and a converted Michael Weyman try that saw them hit the front 12-10.

Canberra kicked their attack up a gear while the Titans seemed to start losing interest in the match and the Raiders ran in a further two quick tries before half-time.

Things got worse for the Titans with winger Matt Petersen (knee) not returning after half time through injury and co-captain Scott Prince (collarbone) forced from the field after seven minutes.

Things then really fell apart for the Titans with the Raiders running in a further six tries to humiliate the NRL's new boys.

GOLD COAST BULLETIN

Social Loafer
16-07-07, 08:56 PM

"They are the kind of team that can take advantage of that.

"They have got the strike players there to do the damage and they also have the potential to have big scores against them.

"You just have to turn up ready to play, control the ball and do all the simple things."

So Mr. Kahler, how did that all go?

Chaos
17-07-07, 07:34 PM
its on a 3
do i dare watch it?

Patske,

We were the better team while Prince was on the field...the only thing that kept Canberra in the game was Preston Campbell's mistakes

Once Prince went off, we fell apart.

bigjim
18-07-07, 01:48 PM
Patske,

We were the better team while Prince was on the field...the only thing that kept Canberra in the game was Preston Campbell's mistakes

Once Prince went off, we fell apart.

Absolutely, but I was pretty sure Prince was on the field for at least two of the three late tries in the first half, maybe all three.

Prince was hurt desperately trying to hold onto a run-away train. If I remember rightly, he took an intercept and then tried to offload before being flung over the side-line. If he hadn't been so desperate to turn things around he would more likely have taken the tackle rather than trying to run down a very narrow corridor on the wing.

After Prince left the field, there was no way back for the Titans.

I am yet to understand what happened late in the first half. From what I saw, we were matching them in defence and looked much more dangerous in attack.

Chaos
18-07-07, 10:55 PM
Absolutely, but I was pretty sure Prince was on the field for at least two of the three late tries in the first half, maybe all three.

Prince may have been on the field but Canberra scored directly from Prestons mistakes...with any other fullback, we would have been winning while Prince was on.