PDA

View Full Version : Round 16: Gold Coast Titans vs New Zealand Warriors

Queenslander
26-06-07, 08:22 AM
Gold Coast Titans vs New Zealand Warriors
Carrara Stadium, Saturday 30th June, 5:30PM

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpgvshttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/StewyO/nzw.jpg

Referee: Shayne Hayne

Team Notes:

Titans

- Jake Webster is out with a shoulder injury, replaced by Smith Samau

- Luke Bailey is on origin duty and replaced by James Stosic at prop.

- Luke Swain moves from Lock to second row to replace the injured Anthony Laffranchi. Mat Hilder moves from the bench to Lock. Michael Hodgson takes up the spare spot on the bench.

Warriors

- Todd Byrne is back in the centres for the injured Tony Martin for Saturday night’s 16th-round NRL clash against the Gold Coast Titans.

- Also back, and leading the side with Steve Price on State of Origin duty, is Ruben Wiki. The 34-year-old veteran has missed the last two matches with injury but is ready to return as the Vodafone Warriors seek a third consecutive win for the first time this season.

Teams:

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_17.gif

1. Preston Campbell
2. Matthew Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Josh Lewis
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. James Stosic
9. Nathan Friend
10. Ian Donnelly
11. Luke Swain
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Matt Hilder

Interchange:

14. Luke O Dwyer
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Clint Amos
18. Kris Kahler

http://rebelsport.com.au/data/pages/categories/images/NRL_18.gif

1. WADE McKINNON
2. PATRICK AH VAN
3. TODD BYRNE
4. SIMON MANNERING
5. MANU VATUVEI
6. MICHAEL WITT
7. GRANT ROVELLI
8. RUBEN WIKI (c)
9. NATHAN FIEN
10. EVARN TUIMAVAVE
11. LOUIS ANDERSON
12. LOGAN SWANN
13. MICHEAL LUCK

Interchange (one to be omitted):

14. GEORGE GATIS
15. LANCE HOHAIA
16. WAIRANGI KOOPU
17. EPALAHAME LAUAKI
18. SAM RAPIRA

patskE
26-06-07, 03:56 PM
The Jetstar Titans squad to play the New Zealand Warriors at Carrara is as follows:

1. Preston Campbell

2. Matthew Petersen

3. Mat Rogers

4. Brett Delaney

5. Jake Webster

6. Josh Lewis

7. Scott Prince ?

8. James Stosic

9. Nathan Friend

10. Ian Donnelly

11. Luke Swain

12. Mark Minichiello

13. Mat Hilder

Interchange:

14. Luke O Dwyer

15. Michael Hodgson

16. Gavin Cooper

17. Clint Amos

18. Kris Kahler

patskE
26-06-07, 03:57 PM
tbh grahman > kahler!

Rage
26-06-07, 04:05 PM
hilder at his preferred position
nice but i was hoping to see chris walker in there

patskE
26-06-07, 04:31 PM
it be a few weeks man

tom91
26-06-07, 04:34 PM
swap webster for walker

DIEHARD
26-06-07, 04:54 PM
swap webster for walker

That looks most likely.

Chaos
26-06-07, 04:56 PM
Strange forward pack...we've got two big guys Stosic and Donnelly in the front row, which is fair enough
But we have Hilder and Swain in the back row together...I'm still not sold on Swain yet because I've yet to see him beat a player in attack and his defence looks soft.

I'm going to view this game like a trail run...besides Minichello, all forwards (including run on and bench) are fighting for a future spot in the side.

Darren Lockyer
26-06-07, 05:16 PM
Strange forward pack...we've got two big guys Stosic and Donnelly in the front row, which is fair enough
But we have Hilder and Swain in the back row together...I'm still not sold on Swain yet because I've yet to see him beat a player in attack and his defence looks soft.

I'm going to view this game like a trail run...besides Minichello, all forwards (including run on and bench) are fighting for a future spot in the side.

you sound like the coach

Chaos
26-06-07, 05:26 PM
you sound like the coach

There's lots of coaches in this forum.

DIEHARD
26-06-07, 06:03 PM

Yea armchair coaches.

Tamwelg
26-06-07, 06:15 PM

There sure is, but theres nothing really wrong with being an armchair coach and sharing your opinions.

DIEHARD
26-06-07, 06:20 PM
Of course not, it is great fun.

Capital_Shark
26-06-07, 07:30 PM
What should have been somewhat easier games to tip this weekend have been made difficult with Origin.

Are the Warriors back or were Penrith that bad? How will they perform away from home? Will Wiki cover Price's absence? Why did they change a winning side after a month and half of the same losing squad?

Main thing here I reckon is if the Titans have enough size to go the tustle with the big Warriors. I don't think they do, but I think they've got far superior play makers and kicking game, which should make up for it. Josh Lewis has a fantastic long kicking game so if the forwards begin to struggle for yardage, he'll have the opportunity to come into his own.

I think Campbell, Lewis and Prince can take advantage of the big tiring Warriors provided the rest of the team can weather a bit of an early barrage, after that it could get nasty looking on the score board in favour of the home team.

Titans 13+

lonegull
27-06-07, 06:38 AM
some strange selections from carty, thought cooper might start for his size stosic is an automatic replacement for bull, gives the titans a mobile forward pack, i think this is to the titans advantage then they can move the ball to tire out the big forwards of auckland,

bigjim
27-06-07, 12:19 PM
There sure is, but theres nothing really wrong with being an armchair coach and sharing your opinions.

I'm more of a Team Manager.

Can still say what players should do without the burden of experience or knowledge.

Ryan
27-06-07, 03:33 PM
What should have been somewhat easier games to tip this weekend have been made difficult with Origin.

Are the Warriors back or were Penrith that bad? How will they perform away from home? Will Wiki cover Price's absence? Why did they change a winning side after a month and half of the same losing squad?

Main thing here I reckon is if the Titans have enough size to go the tustle with the big Warriors. I don't think they do, but I think they've got far superior play makers and kicking game, which should make up for it. Josh Lewis has a fantastic long kicking game so if the forwards begin to struggle for yardage, he'll have the opportunity to come into his own.

I think Campbell, Lewis and Prince can take advantage of the big tiring Warriors provided the rest of the team can weather a bit of an early barrage, after that it could get nasty looking on the score board in favour of the home team.

Titans 13+
I agree. Lewis seems to have a good eye for 40/20. Other than that, him and Prince should just keep putting high ones over VATUVEI - should be an easy way of retaining possession ...........
I was a bit worried with all the talk about Rogers in Origin to whether we could pull the win off, but now I'm confident. If we do win, I reckon it'll be by a big margin..... 13+

patskE
27-06-07, 03:47 PM
Titans v Warriors preview
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:12 PM

Before last weekend?s games this would have been called a no-brainer to the Titans but such was the form demonstrated by the Warriors ? even though it was against the lowly Panthers ? this game perhaps becomes the most intriguing of the round.

The home side now has four scalps on the trot, including narrow but decisive wins over the Wests Tigers (away) and Knights (home).

They have won five of their six games at Carrara and sit in fourth position on the ladder.

The Warriors have been the NRL?s underachievers but with two good wins after a horror six-game losing streak they seem to have their 2007 campaign back on a solid footing and lurk in 10th spot just out of the finals zone on points for and against.

They kept the Sharks tryless at Cronulla a fortnight ago before turning on the afterburners last week to annihilate the Panthers in a nine-try blitz ? with six in the first half.

Both sides lose some significant strike power for this clash ? the Titans are without Luke Bailey (Origin) and Anthony Laffranchi (out four weeks with an injured knee) while the Warriors lose Steve Price to Origin.

Watch out Titans: Scott Prince had better improve on his 53 per cent record of kicking to open space ? down the other end this week is Wade McKinnon, ranked second in the NRL for kick returns (70 runs for 836 metres at an average of 11.9 metres a run).
He made the Panthers pay last week with a kick-return try and made a season-high four line breaks plus two try assists.

He?s strong and evasive too ? his 10 tackle breaks last week took his season tally to 81 (6.75 average per game).

Watch out Warriors: Attitude and commitment will mean everything this week, especially given the Warriors? woeful record when they venture this side of the Tasman ? they?ve won just two of six games away.

Where it will be won: It all boils down to who can overcome the loss of key players Bailey, Laffranchi and Price the best.

Bailey?s record at representative level speaks for itself but Laffranchi and Price have been the heart and soul for their respective teams all year and there?s no question both sides will struggle for direction without them on the park.

Here?s why: Laffranchi has made 479 tackles (eighth most in the NRL); Price has made the most runs in the NRL (267), with Laffranchi second on 261; Laffranchi ranks second in the NRL with 35 offloads while Price ranks 15th with 18; and Price has made more metres in the comp (2,261 ? including 220 last week) than any other player.

Meanwhile, Laffranchi and Bailey have clawed out a combined 3,598 metres for the Titans. Neither side has players who?ve come close to this kind of input so someone is going to have to dig deep.
The History: Yet to play.

Conclusion: Expect this to be an open affair with a lot of points scored.

The Titans will be forced to rely heavily on the sparkling duo of Prince and Mat Rogers (12 line breaks ? second in NRL) although out wide for the Warriors Simon Mannering is doing a magnificent job of shutting down plays with 34 one-on-one tackles.

Matt Peterson bagged the new franchise?s first hat-trick of tries last week and should add to that tally.

There?s no reason the Warriors won?t continue to chance their arm, even from within their own half ? after all, they have scored 10 tries from this area, which is 20 per cent of all their four-pointers and the most in the NRL. Just look at the offload counts in their backline ? McKinnon 17, Mannering 10, Manu Vatuvai 13, Michael Witt 15 and Grant Rovelli 14. For the Titans just Rogers (11) has cracked double figures. Should be entertaining at least.

Match officials: Referee ? Shayne Hayne; Sideline Officials ? Rod Lawrence & Gerard Sutton; Video ref ? Pat Reynolds.

Televised: FoxSports 3 ? Live 5.30pm.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

Taken from nrl.com

bigjim
27-06-07, 10:52 PM
Sorry, double post

bigjim
27-06-07, 10:55 PM
I'm worried about the Warriors without Bailey or Laffranchi.

There big and mean and the Titans will have to gang tackle,getting as many dominant tackles as possible. They must slow the play down at every opportunity. Second phase play from the Warriors is there most dangerous weapon.

If the Titans can weather the Warrior storm in the first half of each half then fitness might get them home. The Warriors are vulnerable to fatigue late in the game with fast play the ball around the dummy half.

Steve
28-06-07, 11:11 AM
Our forwards have shown a lack of aggression with Bailey and Laffranchi off the field, so with them both missing for this match, it could be tough.

Swain has been slowly improving, and this week is back in a position he's familiar with (with Sattler and Waterhouse both 80 minute players at lock, he didn't play much in that position at Penrith), so hopefully can step up a notch.

I think we should win this, just need to stay disciplined and not let our forwards get overrun.

patskE
28-06-07, 12:38 PM
warriors are without price, n his one of their key man
iam a bit worrid about us tackling the big forwards, getting tired then mickidden craving us up
in saying that, their forwards will get tired easy then friend/amos/campbell will slice em up

Coaster
28-06-07, 03:01 PM
I think our biggest asset in this game will be our gang tackling.

Lots of tacklers around the ball carrier, without price the Warriors tend to get into a basketball match, and dont know when to stop.

This is a big test for us, Carn boys fire up!!

Meh
28-06-07, 03:31 PM
Actually the Warriors "Big Forward pack" is abit of a myth these days in that once this might have been true, but in recent seasons they are actually a more mobile unit that can really get an offload away when they play with some confidence.

Gang tackling may only commit more players and open the gaps even further just begging for an offload to send the likes of Mckinnon away down the centre of the ruck.

Although, without Price, there will be alot of go forward lost so if the Titans can shut off that 2nd phase play their halves can get into position to dominate their part of the game.

RLfan
28-06-07, 04:34 PM
I reckon the Warriors will miss Price more than we miss Bailey (we won without him aganist Wests).

Just remember Prince & Lewis will have to kick it to MANU~~!!!!!!!

Steelers
28-06-07, 08:49 PM
Just remember Prince & Lewis will have to kick it to MANU~~!!!!!!!

Manu Vatuvei has actually recovered well since that shocker of a game a few weeks ago...

patskE
29-06-07, 02:14 PM
just read in paper jake webster is in a bit of doubt
foam or injury u rkn? :S
sam sameu or paea will come into the side if he does not make it

sydney morning herald

lonegull
29-06-07, 02:17 PM
just on the radio webster is out and will be replaced by samau

Panthers Wolf
29-06-07, 05:50 PM
Just one word....

CONFIDENCE

Have confidence in the team and recognise they want the win as much as we do. We are coming into the business end of the series and are well placed. The boys will not slack off now with or without the gun players.
The way I see the Titans differ from other clubs is that each individual is exactly that...an individual more than willing to play as a team. No heroes...all equals.

In the past the mindset of other teams that the entire game is carried by one or two players has had devastating effects on the game outcome. Those heroes are injured or out for Origin and the team fall in a heap. Not so with the Titans. As individuals they have all got something special to bring to the team and this is why the Titans are that little bit better. Being the new kids on the paddock they have the experience of their prior teams, the observations of a great coach in knowing what to avoid and a burn to be number one!

Titans are a little like a stirring dragon, Don't underestimate their ability. They may not make the grand final this year...but who knows?
Let's not get too involved with the immediate game predictions but look forward and know we have the team to do it.

As for this weekend and the Warriors? They tire easily with sustained defense and pushing them back.
Personally I feel good about this outing. I know the boys will be prepared for the big Kiwi team and know what it is going to take to bring them to their knees. Persistence.

PW

tom91
29-06-07, 06:30 PM
Just one word....

CONFIDENCE

Have confidence in the team and recognise they want the win as much as we do. We are coming into the business end of the series and are well placed. The boys will not slack off now with or without the gun players.
The way I see the Titans differ from other clubs is that each individual is exactly that...an individual more than willing to play as a team. No heroes...all equals.

In the past the mindset of other teams that the entire game is carried by one or two players has had devastating effects on the game outcome. Those heroes are injured or out for Origin and the team fall in a heap. Not so with the Titans. As individuals they have all got something special to bring to the team and this is why the Titans are that little bit better. Being the new kids on the paddock they have the experience of their prior teams, the observations of a great coach in knowing what to avoid and a burn to be number one!

Titans are a little like a stirring dragon, Don't underestimate their ability. They may not make the grand final this year...but who knows?
Let's not get too involved with the immediate game predictions but look forward and know we have the team to do it.

As for this weekend and the Warriors? They tire easily with sustained defense and pushing them back.
Personally I feel good about this outing. I know the boys will be prepared for the big Kiwi team and know what it is going to take to bring them to their knees. Persistence.

Could not have said it better mate, I think us being so much littler than the Warriors will be an advantage, I dont know about you guys but i find tackling little players is alot harder than bigger.

Rage
30-06-07, 04:51 PM
5 minute try to Delaney and then converted by Mat Rogers

Robbie_Dee
30-06-07, 05:56 PM
about 15 minutes to go i think and Titans are down 14-6! :duh:

Steelers
30-06-07, 06:02 PM
Come on Titans... I don't want to be 0/2 this week :(

Chaos
30-06-07, 06:20 PM
Jeez we missed Lafranchi in this game.
The only forward that dominated the tackle was Minichello. We weren't moving off the line in defence because the Warriors were playing the ball too quick.

Carty has talked about winning the wrestle before and I thought he was focusing too much on it. Tonight we couldn't wrestle teddy bear.

It was obvious the Warriors were only going to threaten us up the middle.
Why didn't we compress our defence?

Coaster
30-06-07, 06:27 PM
I love Preston but wtf is he doing atm???

Replace him with a broom handle untill he is ready to play

Chaos
30-06-07, 06:31 PM

That was one of the worst fullback displays I've seen this year.

Tamwelg
30-06-07, 07:50 PM

Yep, I've gotta agree with you 100%. **Cough** Walker can play fullback **Cough**

lonegull
01-07-07, 08:21 AM
i dont like rubbishing players but preston let his team down he was a complete disater at the back, no confidence and was terrible, he just seemed to be walking around just happy to be in the field, one of the worst performances i have seen from a fullback, he needs to go back to queensland cup to get his confidence back. another worry is rogers he might get suspended for a week or two, the warrors done a good job lucky for minichello otherwise they would have beaten the titans by more

TITAN FOREVER
01-07-07, 09:41 AM
I can't wait to see the tackle stats. Delaney,Hilder ,Friend, Mini between them they tackle their guts out. Preston was not with it, the warriors capitalised on Titans mistakes, which were far to many, but a lot of them came from fatigue due to defending so much. Now we have the Broncos next week,so maybe we will learn from those mistakes.:hissyfit"

Good uck next week.

bigjim
01-07-07, 09:51 AM
First half the Titans defended well and protected their 6 point break. Good committment, intensity and focus.

Second half everything looked good until Preston dropped that high ball, then the tide turned.

It's the little efforts, or lack of them, that turn football games. Unfortunatley, Preston, as good a player as he is, flinched going for that high ball, simple as that.

No point blaming Preston, it won't make it any better. Move on to next week.

We were never going to win with just 6 points, so inability to get over the try line played more in the loss.

The trouble with playing the Warriors at home is we loose our home ground advantage. There's more Warriors supporters here than there is in Auckland.

There should be a quota at the gate though. For every five Titan fans that enter, we let one Warrior fan in. Only fair.

BringBackWillie
01-07-07, 11:58 AM
Is Preston fit????

Coaster
01-07-07, 03:05 PM
I think the best side would have Rogers at Fullback, Webster in the centers, and Walker on the wing.

With preston on the bench as in impact player, dropping Amos (who i rate highly)

That way we have both backs and forwards covered, the only downside is Cambells defence if he comes on at hooker to give Friend a rest, but as a mate of mine said yesterday, just let it pan out and see how the game goes.

Tamwelg
01-07-07, 08:29 PM
With preston on the bench as in impact player, dropping Amos (who i rate highly)

I've been saying that all year :D

lonegull
02-07-07, 06:36 AM
looks like preston could be out with a back complaint, give parfitt a run at fullback, he cant go anyworse than what preston went