PDA

View Full Version : Lockyer keen to put best foot forward

Teegy
12-11-05, 08:31 AM
from smh.com.au

A State of Origin series loss, another end-of-season collapse and finally a broken foot midway through Australia's defence of its Tri Nations crown.

For most players it would be a disastrous season.

But Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer has experienced enough highs and lows during his stellar career to know there's little point in worrying about the past.

Getting on with life is the best way of overcoming disappointments.

"The Broncos were flying high for a long part of the season so it wasn't like the whole season was miserable," reflected rugby league's former Golden Boot winner.

"I'm the kind of person who doesn't reflect too much on the past.

"The (deciding) third Origin was a disappointing game in my career.

"The Broncos being knocked out of the finals again was a disappointing day and the other day at training was another disappointing day.

"What's happened has happened and not every year can end the way you want it to.

"For me now, I'm totally focused on getting my foot right for next year."

Lockyer broke a small bone in his left foot doing what he does thousands of times a year.

It wasn't a fierce tackle gone wrong or anything so easy to accept that caused his tour-ending injury.

It was a simple sidestep on the last play of a touch drill on an obscure rugby field near Paris that brought down Australia's best player - a loud "snap" telling him immediately something serious was wrong.

Lockyer had been thinking of pulling out of the session a few plays before the bone cracked because he felt his hamstring "twinge".

But the prospect of a few days of cross-training under team drill sergeant Billy Johnstone if he quit early, kept him running.

He knew instantly he was in trouble.

And as he quickly discovered, Australian sporting captains carry little weight in Paris.

He had to endure more than 10 hours of anxiety before team doctor Hugh Hazzard eventually allayed his fears of surgery.

That didn't happen though until a series of comical errors.

"They did the MRI scan on my foot and couldn't find anything wrong with it," said Lockyer, who is able to laugh about it now.

"They showed the scan to our doc and he told them they'd scanned the wrong part of my foot.

"They did a regular x-ray and the fracture showed up.

"I was pretty happy because I was worried the tendon may have been damaged and I would need surgery.

"I have to stay off the foot for four weeks and wear a boot and then wait another four weeks to start light training.

"Those first four weeks are vital but I wasn't due back at training with the Broncos until January anyway."

Lockyer, who will head over to the United States at the end of the Tri Nations tour to catch up with his former Brisbane teammate Wendell Sailor in New York, said Australia didn't have a lot of time to get another halves combination before the November 26 final at Elland Road in Leeds.

His likely replacement Trent Barrett is battling a foot injury.

Coach Wayne Bennett has just one pool game left against Britain next Saturday to decide which way he'll go between Scott Prince, Craig Gower and Barrett, if he is available.

"New halves combinations can take a bit of time," said Lockyer.

"It'll be difficult, but I'm confident the guys that get the jerseys will do the job."

Lockyer killed of speculation of a return to fullback to save him from physical batterings.

"I'm not sure where that all comes from," he said.

"I don't think the Broncos would have finished any higher or played any better if I'd been at fullback.

"That's not the answer.

"I'm happy where I am. I enjoy playing five-eighth and I just don't see the point in changing positions again."

DeeGan
12-11-05, 09:43 AM
Lockyer will be right for the pre-season training though will get a bit of a break which will only do him good given the amount of games he has played over the last 3 years.

DeeGan

Queenslander
13-11-05, 04:26 PM
Lockyer will be ready for the broncos next year, and he will be at his best after a nice and well deserved rest. :emp: