Page 157 of 165 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 2463

While I think there have been a couple of real positives to come out of this season - the form and potential of players like Brimson, Arrow and King; and mdrew reckoning that we’re finally starting to get our act together with regards to our local juniors - they are unfortunately counterbalanced (or even outweighed!) by the fact that 15 to 17% of our salary cap in each of the next three years is tied up in two players (Taylor and Cartwright) that have played way below the level that investment implies this year. It’s hard to compete if a large chunk of your salary cap is giving you nothing on the field.

And then there’s our defence. My biggest concern at this stage with Brennan and his development of the team is that there doesn’t seem to have been much, if any, improvement in our defence this year. Last year we conceded the second most points of any team in the regular season (10 points better than the Knights); so far this year we’ve conceded the third most (2 points better than the Sea Eagles and 25 better than the good old Knights). Of the 9 legitimate Premiers since we came into the comp, 5 had the best regular season defence (in terms of points conceded), 2 had the second best, 1 had the third best and the Cowboys had the 5th best in 2015. So, I can’t see that we’ve made much progress at all this season towards being premiership material. I’m not suggesting that Brennan has already outstayed his welcome, but I was hoping to have seen the team make some progress defensively be this stage of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwelve12 View Post
    Dont rule out Rylee Jacks turning up in the number 6 jacket for 2019.
    I can see Riley coming here, but i imagine he will wear Burleigh colours most weeks unless some others are injured

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    That would probably be because they do not even have the ability to play this position at Qcup level
    Riiiight....so you're saying that they probably believe they both prefer playing fullback, because they aren't good enough to do so.

Okey dokey.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    I can see Riley coming here, but i imagine he will wear Burleigh colours most weeks unless some others are injured
    I think you're right about that. Jacks would be a great back up!

Completely agree, a players perception of their own skill level isn’t the most reliable guide, especially by the time they reach NRL. Many seem to think it’s not worthwhile financially to play wing but it’s certainly better than fullback in QCup.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    I've been thinking all along that this year would be about building, experience and developing nrl toughness in our younger players.

I feel next year is going to be a very good year for us!
    Agree
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Completely agree, a players perception of their own skill level isn’t the most reliable guide, especially by the time they reach NRL. Many seem to think it’s not worthwhile financially to play wing but it’s certainly better than fullback in QCup.
    No one's saying that either Sami or Don want to play fullback. They just say they prefer the position. Whether they are up to NRL standard is not the point.

A lot of building blocks have been put in place this year. Sure a few moves (Cartwright and Latu in particular) haven't worked out but both could yet come good.
    If we can get Ash in the right headspace and our defence sorted it should be a very different season next year.

Riiiight....so you're saying that they probably believe they both prefer playing fullback, because they aren't good enough to do so.

Okey dokey.
    ?

I'm saying that they have never had the opportunity in the NRL because they aren't good enough to do so.

It was interesting hearing the other day that both Sami and Don's preferred position to play is fullback. They just have never had the opportunity at this level to consistantly get a crack at it.

Okey dokey.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 14-08-18 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    ?

I'm saying that they have never had the opportunity in the NRL because they aren't good enough to do so

Okey dokey.
    Sigh...No one's saying that either Sami or Don want to play fullback. They just say they prefer the position. Whether they are up to NRL standard is not the point.

I wish I hadn't bothered passing it on. I should have realised how easily things get blown up on here.

No one's saying that either Sami or Don want to play fullback. They just say they prefer the position. Whether they are up to NRL standard is not the point.
    Don’t be so touchy old mate, I didn’t reference any players just generalized on the mercenary nature of today’s players and I don’t blame them either. My real criticism is that wingmen should not be paid less than the mean average. Case in point last Sunday Don was our MOM and even signed my son’s cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Don’t be so touchy old mate, I didn’t reference any players just generalized on the mercenary nature of today’s players and I don’t blame them either. My real criticism is that wingmen should not be paid less than the mean average. Case in point last Sunday Don was our MOM and even signed my son’s cap.
    I'm not having a go, mate...and I agree with you 100%

I love Don! He's a class act.

(I was just trying to word it so it could be more easily understood)

Hi gents

I've been an observer of the forum for some time now and i genuinely enjoy the opinions and thoughts that many of you have around the team. I thought i'd chuck my two bobs in for who i believe i think we should be recruiting and the make up of what i think the team should look like next year since 2018 is all but done. Some may be stating the obvious and some may completely differ to the opinion in which brenno holds them but each are calculated pieces of the puzzle in forming a dynamic football team.

1. AJ Brimson - This year has been a blessing i believe for the young bloke. Has proven that he has the toughness and skill to make it in the NRL and i believe he's one of, if not the best local juniors to crack it for the titans. Is very much in the mould of Darren Lockyer and has already begun to develop a nice kicking and short passing game. Him chiming into the backline next year off of an inform taylor and behind a dangerous forward pack could be lethal.

2. Anthony don - I fear that don will soon lose his pace to cut it in the game as a premier winger but you can't go away from him based off his reliability under the high ball and knack for finding the white line. Could also be used as a mentor for juniors coming through in years to come. Provides a good culture.

3. Phil Sami - Next year i'd like to see sami move one in off his wing. Has already proven to be a special talent and could very well put on a fair bit of size in the pre season due to his body stature. Reminds me very much of a young Jarryd Hayne. His tough carries out of our own end also prove to be very valuable. This year will only boost his confidence to take on his opposite number next year.

4. Tyrone Peachey - Some may say he would be waisted out on an edge but that's completely the opposite to how i see it. Leaving peachey out on an edge would allow him to not have as much as defensive load, allowing him to chime in to the backfield coming through the middle. His a dynamic player that brings alot of x factor and i'd love to see them use him as player that gets dropped under and tests the inside man and markers with brimson linking up. Is special.

5. Michael Gordon - Is getting on but would provide the calm head needed in crucial moments. Can also take on the goal kicking duties if needed.

6. Ryley Jacks - Now i've seen many people on here say jacks would be a handy backup. He is a very good footballer coming from a very good system. Has exceptional organising skills and would take plenty of pressure off of taylor when it comes to controlling the team. Has a good short kicking game and links well with his back rower. Has won 20 of 24 games with Melbourne. Reminds me of a very similar player to Blake Greene. Would provide the calmness needed in pressure moments.

7. Ashley Taylor - For obvious reasons, but next season will be crucial and telling to whether he can lead a team around the park. Needs to rediscover that short kicking game that continuously built pressure. Has gone away this season for unknown reasons but hopefully t.roberts may spark him being in and around training.

8. Jarrod Wallace - Workhouse through the middle who needs to work on finding his front more often than not. In my opinion has taken on a leadership role and shows he is passionate towards gaining success on the coast.

9. Nathan Peats - Has this toughness about him and genuine talk around the group. Would love to see him run the ball a lot more but and test the markers and A defender.Needs to continue to tighten up the middle.

10. Ryan James - For obvious reasons. Has a knack for finding the line and leads by example. Couldn't of done much more this year and has improved once again. Can find a quick play the ball and has cut out the discpline in his game.

11. Kevin Proctor - Slowly losing my patience with Proctor. Isn't the same player he was at melbourne and that possibly may be because of the players around him. Seems to have lost that hard running line on the outside of the halves shoulder. Good in defence but needs to become more of an option. Would still survive the start of the year.

12. Keegan Hipgrave - The maniac. Will play origin one day based on one thing along, Passion. Is a player you want to play with and besides the ball playing skills is very much a greg bird clone. Discipline will begin to clean up as he matures with age but is a local junior that needs to stay.

13. Jai Arrow - In my opinion should be the future captain of the club and future captain of Queensland. Demonstrates work rate and desire. Is a player you can build your club around based on how much he puts in. His offloads in creating second phase player are also valuable and deserves a big contract extension. His future combination with the likes of hipgrave, fotuaka and king is building a foundation for a very good pack in years to come.

14. Mitch Rein - His running game off the bench at dummy half is enormous. Almost has the same vision as damien cook when spotting a defender whose out of position or that is fatigued. Will be pushing for a starting spot next year if he continues his current form.

15. Moeaki Fotuaika - An enormous talent who will only get better with experience. Forget Payne Haas or David Fifita, if Mo keeps it up then he could very well be a mini petero. Can easily see why his team mates rate him so highly.

16. Shannan Boyd - Now he is on big cash but i believe it would be a much better game plan to bring boyd on off the bench just before halftime to cause havoc on tired forwards. Has very good go forward and generally only places 30-40 minutes per game. Would provide the quick play the balls that taylor and co need to attack. Could be used as a very good impact player.

17. Bryce Cartwright - The wildcard. Now i know his had his off field problems and antics that have been much publicised. I don't have any doubt that the blokes not gonna come good. Is too talented not too and in my opinion is worth taking a punt on. Needs to get back to that style of running at the line first and then looking for second phase player instead of prancing to the line and then looking for the pass that isn't on. A good pre season behind him and a player that is more familiar with the faces around could do him the world of good.

subs: King, Roberts, Lee, Copley, Hurrell, TRD, Boyle, Matthews, Latu (If he's still there), whitbread

Players i'd like to see recruited or looked at (depending on the cap): Brian Kelly, Patrick Mago,

welcome bb17, great first post.

i agree AJ has the early glow of an elite talent, a la Locky, but maybe a touch less ball handling class but made up for with alot more physicality and toughness at the same age.

You may be right about Ryley Jacks, but he currently has 2 fullbacks beating him to a place in the storm half's. I'm not totally against him being the 6, but Ash would need to play out of his skin to make up creatively for Jacks's simpler style.

but again great first post and contribution, glad you jumped aboard.

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to more of your contributions.

Did u just compare AJ to Locky Db?

I think a poor mans Kurt Gidley is a better example and thats a compliment btw
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Welcome to the jungle BB17.