Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smith Comes Out

Default Smith Comes Out

And here is the NRL's position on the debacle.

NRL CEO Dave Smith statement - NRL.com

NRL CEO Dave Smith said today he was angry and fed up with the minority of players who brought the game into disrepute.
    He said the ARL Commission expected a tough stance to be taken against players who brought the game into disrepute – and that would happen.
    Mr Smith stressed that the players served with notices to appear in court as part of the Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission investigation into drug supply were entitled to the presumption of innocence in relation to any criminal charges.
    But he said players were on notice that anyone engaging in criminal conduct could expect harsh punishment.
    "The overwhelming majority of players do the right thing… youngsters look up to them and they do so much good work in the community," Mr Smith said.
    "But we continue to have a small group of irresponsible players who engage in conduct which brings down our game.
    "The message to those players is clear… if you bring the game into disrepute there will be consequences.
    "We are not going to let a few players wreck our image and brand."
    Mr Smith said there was no place for illicit and illegal drugs in the NRL.
    "We know that Rugby League is a reflection of the rest of society so there will be people who stray from time to time but we will not tolerate serious misconduct which damages the game."
    Mr Smith said the NRL remained committed to Rugby League on the Gold Coast.
    "This is a key area for our game and we are determined to ensure our fans continue to have their own team on the Gold Coast," he said.

Too bloody right. Our players won't be sacked for taking the stuff and will only get spanked but if they are proven to be anything worse than that they will get banished to burn forever. Not a club killer.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-ceo-dave-smit...0/default.aspx
    Last edited by Titanic; 22-02-15 at 12:32 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

We need to stay strong with the club on this. If you have ticketed memberships then go to the games. The club will die if the fans walk away. South's found that out the hard way but unlike them if the Titans fold there won't be another chance on the coast.

We now have the reassurence of the Clubs owner & the NRL Boss we just need the same commitment from the coaching & playing squad (what's left) to at least give us a team to cheer on...
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior

This is the response I fully expected from NRL CEO, Smith and it is great to hear and imo he is doing a very good job in difficult circumstances, where a few dopes are tarnishing the majority who are outstanding as NRL players, Coaches, Management etc. Yes we have to pack CBus Stadium for the West Tiger game to show the majority of our Players etc that we respect them and appreciate the work they are doing on and off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Crius View Post
    This is the response I fully expected from NRL CEO, Smith and it is great to hear and imo he is doing a very good job in difficult circumstances, where a few dopes are tarnishing the majority who are outstanding as NRL players, Coaches, Management etc. Yes we have to pack CBus Stadium for the West Tiger game to show the majority of our Players etc that we respect them and appreciate the work they are doing on and off the field.
    Agree completely mate but as I said in another thread I fear for the crowd at CBus for the first game. I think many on the Coast have wiped the Titans after this latest episode and it will be damn hard to get them back. That said it was going to be hard to draw a crowd to our games anyway until the wins start coming. I'll be doing my bit and going but they will need the marketing geniuses to get any more than 10k.
    A win in round 1 is essential.

They need to 5h17 can the fancy dress and start giving away tickets. Give them to local radio stations, footy clubs, schools, pubs, former members whoever will take a ticket. Get them down there and pack the stadium and if it means that 5000 pay and 10000 don't I don't care as a fully paid member. I'd much prefer to see 15000 there then giving the media another reason to write another negative story. If the NRL are picking up the tab for the stadium bill(?) then it shouldn't matter if the tickets are paid or not paid for.

NRL boss Dave Smith says he won't relocate Gold Coast Titans but will get tough on wayward players
    February 22, 2015 - 1:41AM

The NRL has ruled out relocating the embattled Gold Coast as chief executive Dave Smith promised to come down hard on players bringing the game into disrepute.

The development comes as Paul Broughton labelled accused drug dealer Beau Falloon "not worthy" of keeping the club's best and fairest medal struck and presented in his honour.

The governing body is bracing for more fallout from the drugs bust involving former Kangaroo Karmichael Hunt and Titans players Falloon and Jamie Dowling, with up to 100 people in the crosshairs in the ongoing investigation. More Titans players are expected to be implicated, prompting the TAB to shut down its markets for the wooden spoon and the Gold Coast's opening game against Wests Tigers.

Falloon pipped teammate David Taylor by one point to win his first Paul Broughton Medal as the club's best player for 2014. An emotional Broughton said that he would support the club if it stripped Falloon of the honour.

"It's sad that a player who wins the prestigious award for player of the year is [accused of drug supply]," said Broughton, who called for drug offenders to be banned from the NRL for life.

"It's sadder for me because my son died of drugs.

"If the club itself decides the medal has been awarded incorrectly, they will get no resentment from me, I would be supportive of it. I would never have felt the same way as when the No.8 [Luke Bailey] and No.7 [Preston Campbell] won… they were worthy winners. Perhaps Mr Falloon was not."

The drugs dramas raise further questions about the club's long-term survival. The Titans are already struggling financially, remain without a sponsor and are losing further ground in the fight against the Gold Coast Suns AFL franchise. Their chances of signing Manly superstar Daly Cherry-Evans have all but evaporated. Previous rugby league incarnations on the holiday strip — the Chargers, Giants and Seagulls — have all folded. However, Smith said the NRL remained committed to rugby league on the Gold Coast.

"This is a key area for our game and we are determined to ensure our fans continue to have their own team on the Gold Coast," he said.

Smith said he was angry and fed up with the minority of players damaging the image of the game. He promised the ARL Commission would take a tough stance against any player who brought the game into disrepute, particularly those engaging in criminal conduct.

"The overwhelming majority of players do the right thing… youngsters look up to them and they do so much good work in the community," Smith said.

"But we continue to have a small group of irresponsible players who engage in conduct which brings down our game.

"The message to those players is clear… if you bring the game into disrepute there will be consequences. We are not going to let a few players wreck our image and brand."

Smith added that there was no place for illicit and illegal drugs in the NRL.

"We know that rugby league is a reflection of the rest of society so there will be people who stray from time-to-time but we will not tolerate serious misconduct which damages the game."

Despite the constant dramas engulfing the club since he became chief executive 18 months ago, former NSW Minister for Sport Graham Annesley said he wouldn't walk away.

"I am thoroughly sick of standing in front of cameras to defend this club when it comes to off-field matters, it's not why I took on this job," said Annesley, who fielded 322 calls related to the drugs dramas on Friday.

"You don't come in thinking you'll be dealing matters which are destructive rather than constructive. But I won't walk away from the challenge either.

"We need to get this place firing on all cylinders and we have a great coach, board, staff and committed players."

once we know the depth of the problem we should be inviting the whole of the SOuthport School to attend. What message do we send running away and hiding? Tell them to bring their war crys and songs (we could learn from that) and enjoy the sport.

wasn't sure what to expect from this thread. Thought the Melbourne skipper might have been making an announcement.

The power of the English language

Junior

Diehard, Just wondering why u thumbs downed me?

Diehard, Just wondering why u thumbs downed me?
    I guess my thumb was too fat for my phone. I didn't mean to.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    once we know the depth of the problem we should be inviting the whole of the SOuthport School to attend. What message do we send running away and hiding? Tell them to bring their war crys and songs (we could learn from that) and enjoy the sport.
    That's a great idea. When the Titans go into any school to visit they should give some family passes away for the next game too. Bums on seats and everyone loves a free ticket!

On a side note.. That's a pretty dodgy title to this thread, Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    On a side note.. That's a pretty dodgy title to this thread, Titanic.
    sure is, but after the presser, it should be changed to Smith comes out swinging. he was staunch.