Default NRL considers radical plan to consider 4 quarter games

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...c1ae639f582416

THE most radical changes in rugby league history — including four-quarter football over 100 minutes — are under consideration at the NRL.

The NRL’s rules and competition committee floated the extraordinary idea at Moore Park headquarters last week in front of CEO Dave Smith, chairman John Grant, the game’s most influential coach, Wayne Bennett, and Head of Football Todd Greenberg.

The changes would generate hundreds of millions of dollars in extra revenue from the TV networks through quarter-time advertising breaks and an extra 20 minutes of game time.

The committee also raised the prospect of expanding the premiership to an 18-team competition to get a fairer premiership draw over a shorter season with spare weekends to play State of Origin.

While initial discussions have been positive, any changes of this magnitude would be several years away, if they are to happen at all.

From what I have been told by sources inside the meeting, this is roughly how it would work.

GAME DAY

Matches would run for over two hours instead of 90 minutes as it is now.

It’s still much quicker than a gridiron game that goes for three and a half hours with all their stoppages.

There would be five-minute breaks for each quarter and 10 minutes at half-time.

Fans at the ground would get a better match-day experience with more footy and live interviews on big screens with the coaches and players during the quarter breaks.

Professional half-time entertainment would be a big part of the show.

The extra time and entertainment would justify clubs charging more at the gate and put them in a stronger financial position.

THE PLAYERS

On face value, it appears a much heavier workload on the players.

The interchange bench would increase from four fresh players to eight.

In theory, most players would not be playing extra football because game-day squads would be 21 instead of 17 as it is at the moment.

TV AND EXPANSION

Potentially, the NRL television deal could be almost doubled to $2 billion from what the code is offering the TV networks.

The meeting also discussed adding two new teams, one from Brisbane and another from a capital city in Australia or New Zealand.

This would provide the networks with one extra game each week — plus the extra 20 minutes of football with the advertising possibilities during the long breaks.

From doubling the broadcast money, players would be much better paid and more cash would go into junior development to fight the AFL threat.

THE SCHEDULE

There were discussions about how 18 teams could play over a shortened season of 23 weeks plus the finals.

This would allow a longer pre-season for the Nine’s, All Stars, World Club Challenge, Charity Shield or even an official and televised pre-season competition.

In an 18-team schedule, the clubs would play each other once over 17 weeks.

Each club would then play three “derbies” against their closest neighbours.

For example, the Broncos would play the Titans, Cowboys and a second Brisbane side twice.

Parramatta would play Penrith, the Wests Tigers and the Bulldogs twice.

We’d have three free weekends for State of Origin to bring the season to a total of 27 weeks, including the finals series.

This would allow the possibility of an international series at the end of a season that would be three weeks shorter than it is now.

THE CONCLUSION

Nothing this radical has ever been discussed by the NRL.

Cricket used to be played over five long days with eight-ball overs.

And then along came Kerry Packer to deliver the most spectacular change that probably saved cricket from dying a slow death.

Even if this rugby league plan never eventuates, at least we know there are some people within the game who are prepared to think left field and discuss big-picture ideas.

There are no limits to how great rugby league could be.
    - - - Updated - - -

Personally i have no problem wit playing NRL as a 4 quarter game. It is often played like this in trials and some early daytime rounds in the regular season. It gives players an extra break, gives fans an extra break and gives the media extra TV time.
    I have no problem with any of this.

However, I am very concerned about expanding the bench. I would rather see interchanges limited to open the game up to fitness and skills late in the game, so it is counter-productive to this if they add players to the bench. With an extra break it would be better to keep team structures as they are IMO. There would be a real danger of teams extending their benches, having more players on the payroll etc and clubs really struggling to stay financially competitive.

We are not America, we don't have 275 million people watching 1 code of football.

I hate most of this. Leave 4 quarters to afl and get the attrition factor back in our game. Matty Johns is on the money with his suggestion of 6 interchanges and no returning once a player is replaced. Four quarters just evens games up. As Gus says no no no.

I love the idea of 6 interchange & you cant return once you leave the park, i'd even go as far as having 7 players on the bench with the 7th to only be used if a player is concussed or stretchered off in the last 5 or 10 minutes , it will bring back the 80 minute players that don't have to have a Casiano,Pritchard etc type player that comes on fresh to run for 10 minutes & it will bring back the Presto's of the game, i love it !!!
    #itaintweaktospeak

"The extra time and entertainment would justify clubs charging more at the gate and put them in a stronger financial position."

Without going into detail I think I pay enough already!....and as it currently stands with the Titans, this would hurt more than it would help.

I hate the idea of 100mins and it further takes the NRL away from the rest of Rugby League. Surely it is just a trial balloon of an idea. I hope it gets shot down.

Expanding the NRL though.... I'm fully behind.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Not a fan of quarters but love the idea of the new season structure.

Quote Originally Posted by kioli View Post
    Not a fan of quarters but love the idea of the new season structure.
    For the sake of the NRL competition we need Origin on stand alone weekends. May also offer opportunities for international footy not involving Australia.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Does anyone else think 4 x 20/25 minute quarters might actually work? With quarter breaks there would be less need for interchanges, so it is more likely to help with the decreasing bench/reduced interchange argument. I also was thinking that you could not make interchanges during normal play, only at the breaks (excluding concussion/serious injury). Adds an extra dimension to coaching and team rosters and structure.

Without wanting to name drop, in the last couple of months I went to a Dodgers baseball game in LA and a San Diego Chargers NFL game. Although I enjoyed both games, obviously NFL is over 4 quarters and baseball change innings frequently, but my point is that there were so many breaks in play. After being used to sports here that have 40 minute halves with no breaks you really notice the change. The tv channels must love it and this whole idea for the NRL is based on the extra tv money they could get, let's not kid ourselves.
    Great to see people thinking outside the square but this one, they can stick it.