Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Putting Henry's actual coaching style/history/results aside, I think the most important thing is whether he removes the complacency that appears to have set in throughout the on-field side of the business.

That will be enough for me for 2015. A change in roster, a change in attitude. Results should follow.

Just reading a snippet in the Sunday herald in Adam proshenko column he has said that Trevor Gilmeister has been axed from his position at the titans with Neil Henry stamping his authority in the make up of the coaching structure also mentions that terry matterson could come on board as an assistant

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Just reading a snippet in the Sunday herald in Adam proshenko column he has said that Trevor Gilmeister has been axed from his position at the titans with Neil Henry stamping his authority in the make up of the coaching structure also mentions that terry matterson could come on board as an assistant
    Just read this as well. I think this is a good move and I think we need complete change among the coaching staff. I like Gilly as a bloke but I often wondered about his ability to pass on the messages etc. I think what I am trying to say is that Gilly wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Good move but not convinced about Matterson though. Although he may have learned a little more about defensive structures under Green as the Cows now have a very good defence. Something they didn't have previously......

And here is JT's perspective, read into it what you wil:

North Queensland Cowboys co-captain Johnathan Thurston reveals role in Neil Henry's departure

Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston has revealed his role in Neil Henry's departure from the club, admitting he told North Queensland hierarchy the club "needed a shake up". Thurston and co-captain Matt Scott were approached by the club last year before the Cowboys told Henry in July his services would not be required next season.

Thurston's advice appears to have been on the money. New coach Paul Green has led the club to one of its strongest position to win a title since its only grand final appearance in 2005.

"The club asked the senior boys for their opinion on where the club was at," Thurston said. "I was a major part of getting Neil back to the club from Canberra. I think he's a great head coach and has a great football brain. He was great for our club."But the club asked us and I told them 'yeah, it certainly needed a shake up'. How much they took on board, you'd have to ask them. When the club made that decision, as a playing group we supported that.

"
    Thurston credited Green for helping him rediscover his best form at a time in his career when he could be excused for taking the foot off the gas. While he was reluctant to take aim at Henry, Thurston said Green's impact has been a positive on the club.

"I've been here since '05 and I think Neil has been part of that coaching staff for all but two of those years," Thurston said.

"He's had a lot to do with me as a player and a lot to do with the club as well. But I think the coaching staff we've got now is great. I think the high performance unit is the best we've ever had. I'm enjoying it a lot more.

"They've been smart, giving me a day off here and there. Greeny has come in and brought in all these new structures in place. It's like being at a new club and that's the real freshen up that I needed coming to the back end of my career. I think I'm feeling the benefits of that. I'm playing all right footy and I'm happy."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugb...#ixzz3DcslTx1R
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

While JT may have been correct in thinking things "needed a shake up" at the Cowboys, I think the general gist of the article - that Green has already achieved more than Henry did - is a bit speculative. In terms of on field performance, this season looks like a rerun of the Cowboys' 2012 season at this stage. If they knock off the Roosters tonight then that argument gains some weight.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    While JT may have been correct in thinking things "needed a shake up" at the Cowboys, I think the general gist of the article - that Green has already achieved more than Henry did - is a bit speculative. In terms of on field performance, this season looks like a rerun of the Cowboys' 2012 season at this stage. If they knock off the Roosters tonight then that argument gains some weight.
    Agree Numbers.
    Also the thing to remember here is that Paul Green stepped into a well run football department and a very good playing roster. All implemented by Neil Henry. Green would have Tweeked things abit this year but no significant changes. Having such a good platform in place has allowed the Cowboys employ Green knowing that he is a new First Grade Coach and doesn't have to change too much.

Now by all reports Carty and Searle had left the place and the CAP in a bit of a state so only an experience coach like King that has had experience in cleaning up clubs IMO gives me confidence that we will be a lot stronger for it. If the Titans appointed a "New " coach I'm not sure they could handle the mess that was left.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Junior

If you have watched the cowboys this year, they are a much solider defensive unit to any other season I have seen them. Green has made a massive difference since joining the cows.

I'm with Nick on this one ... I won't argue with the opinions above because I think Henry's experience can't be questioned, but by his own admission he is not one for stats or details and that worries me a lot when it comes to the actual team performance ... he'd better get a quality assistant and quickly.

The Cowboys this year is Henry's work. Kind of like the Knights in 2001. Michael Hagan coached the team, but Warren Ryan built it.

The underlying message I am seeing now is Henry believes an overhaul of the team is needed, but existing contracts are going delays this for at least one more season.

looking at the below list, I can see quite a few being let go.
    Gold Coast Titans Maurice Blair, Paul Carter, Kane Elgey, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Beau Falloon, Christian Hazard, Mark Ioane, Albert Kelly, Tom Kingston, Nate Myles, Ben Ridge, James Roberts, Aidan Sezer, Brad Takairangi, Brad Tighe

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-...#ixzz3Dj5jTc9J

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If you have watched the cowboys this year, they are a much solider defensive unit to any other season I have seen them. Green has made a massive difference since joining the cows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I'm with Nick on this one ... I won't argue with the opinions above because I think Henry's experience can't be questioned, but by his own admission he is not one for stats or details and that worries me a lot when it comes to the actual team performance ... he'd better get a quality assistant and quickly.
    I'm definitely unsure about Henry's ability to build a genuine premiership contender here or at any other club, but I'm also doubtful that the Cowboys' on-field performances so far this year show that Green has already achieved more than Henry did at the Cowboys and ergo Green is a better coach than Henry. In the last three seasons the Cowboys have conceded 445 (2012), 431 (2013) and 406 (2014) points. So, while they have improved defensively this year, at 1 point a game, I don't see it as a quantum leap. As I implied in my previous post, if the Cowboys continue deep in to the finals then there is little argument that this is their best season since 2005, but at this point in the build up to tonight's game there is little to suggest this season is a better one than 2012.

From this weeks RLW's Monday Scoops:

NEIL’S GOOD DEAL

Titans coach Neil Henry signed a three-year deal with the club until the end of 2017 but he can get that extended if the club fires. If the Titans reach the finals in either 2015 or 2016, Henry will get an automatic one-year extension.

It said in todays courier that the entire rabbitohs or roosters team mick crocker played in all but one scored a beep test score of 14 and that only a handful of titans scored 12 this year!
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan

Yep, beep test wooden spoon ... but then again when you have team of backrowers what else would you expect ... at least we all can be comforted by knowing that TP was one of the 14's.