Default Titans remain confident they can win five of their last six matches to make the Semis

NEALE GRUNDY GOLD COAST BULLETIN JULY 28, 2014 4:10PM

THE Titans have their backs to the wall but *remain confident they can win five of their last six matches and clinch a finals berth.

Each of the six opponents sits higher on the ladder than the 13th-placed Titans but the log jam around eighth means just four points separate the Titans and sixth spot.

Coach John Cartwright is under no illusions about the enormity of the task but is *adamant his players are *focused, despite an NRL investigation into the club and speculation about next *season’s coaching setup.

“We’ve had some really good results over the past month, mixed with some bad ones at home,” he said.

“We’re back on the road this week, we’re playing a side competing for the same spot we are. We’ve got plenty to play for.”

The Titans travel to Townsville on Saturday to face a North Queensland side hot off an impressive 20-12 win against the Bulldogs.
    They then face the Roosters (away), Sea Eagles (home), Dragons (away), Warriors (away) before hosting the Bulldogs in Round 26.

Even if they string together a few wins, their poor for and against (-66) may come back to haunt them.

David Mead and Will Zillman are a strong chance to return from injury this week.

Prop Matt White feels the team’s self-belief remains strong despite recent patchy form.

“We can do it,” he said.
    #itaintweaktospeak

It would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic ... I hope they win, I truly hope they win but gee they've got to be kidding themselves.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Poor Whitey after reading the last line he makes DT sound like a genius
    #itaintweaktospeak

It's really just getting a bit sad and desperate now. Not desperate for a win, but desperate to sound like Cartwright honestly believes they have some untapped resource that can turn a massive losing streak into a 5 out of 6 winning streak simply because they "have plenty to play for".

Yes and since when is scraping into the eight a mark of greatness? We need to win 5 out of six and then 3 out of 3 to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Yes and since when is scraping into the eight a mark of greatness? We need to win 5 out of six and then 3 out of 3 to be great.
    I said before a ball was kicked that just scraping in to the 8 and then getting eliminated would not be satisfactory. Cartwright thinks because they have basically stuffed up so many games already that a remarkable winning streak that gets us in to the 8 means everything else will be forgotten.
    I was cheering as loud as anyone for the win against Parra but after what has happened with the salary cap, management review and the poor on field performance, there is a large part of me hoping for heavy defeats. I have never felt this way about any team I support but things are so bad we need to hit the lowest of rock bottom to ensure change is made. Lets face it, we would be wasting our time if we fluked the 8 so lets ensure the broom comes out and cleans the place up. Even then, it appears Searle and Carty will still be around in one form or another which will make it very hard to start from scratch.
    The best hope is for the NRL to insist on a 7 person Board so that Searle's influence is diminished.

If this did happen , and it is a big IF, then carty would get a 7 year contract , so no i hope it doesn't happen just for that
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Roosters (away)
    Sea Eagles (home)
    Dragons (away)
    Warriors (away)
    Bulldogs (home)

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

“We’ve had some really good results over the past month, mixed with some bad ones at home,” he said.

His use of language is interesting. He said 'really good results'. He didn't say good games. He didn't say good performances. They were just good results and you can't argue with that.

Seriously though, making the finals would be the worst possible thing that could happen to this club. Cartwright would remain, Searle would feel vindicated but the community of the Gold Coast would not care one iota. Why? Because we would still be playing boring, one dimensional football.

But what's the point of even writing this paragraph - IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

I had a really interesting discussion with somebody on Twitter who said that the crowds were irrelevant because those people turned off are not what he called 'true fans'. I argued that those people, the ones voting with their wallets by not going to games even when the tickets are $10, are more important to the club than we are. Until the club wins those casual fans back over we are going to remain in dire straits.

It's time to up the ante and begin putting real pressure on Searle the way we have CARTWRIGHT.

Yea we need to get the casuals back. And win back the Gold Coast community.

But we are also suffering the loss, or protest of diehard fans.

Without welding some muscle, you don't change things. That is what many of us are doing.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Sorry but I disagree ... voting with your feet is a deliberate form of protest and not just some disgruntled casual fans ... many of those now not attending are true supporters who just refuse to be taken for a ride any longer.

I'll bet they're still watching on tv or going to local games and if you ask them they'll say they are Titans fans who just couldn't be bothered.