Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2014 NRL signings

Roosters' new deal with Minichiello

AAP
    10:46am Wed 11th December, 2013

NRL premiers Sydney Roosters have finally locked in a new one-year contract with their veteran captain Anthony Minichiello.

The deal will keep 33-year-old fullback Minichiello at the club where he has played all 275 of his first grade games until the end of next season - his 15th in the top grade.

He is behind only former player Luke Ricketson (301) for most games for the club and could conceivably pass him in 2014 if he stays fit. He also holds its record for most tries with 122.

"My heart is and always will be with the Roosters," said Minichiello, who led the Roosters to grand final glory over Manly on October 6.

"I've grown up here and it's my home."

Salary cap constraints are believed to be the reason for the delay in confirming Minichiello's deal.

A former Golden Boot and Dally M Fullback of the Year, Minichiello was delighted to continue building the culture developed by new coach Trent Robinson this year.

"There's a strong bond amongst our players here and I'm really excited that I'll again lead the boys for another season," said Minichiello.

Roosters cChairman Nick Politis lauded one-club player Minichiello as "the ultimate role model for the Roosters and the game".

Robinson said: "Mini is our leader and such a big part of our Club. He has an incredible work ethic and I'm really pleased that his experience will continue to benefit the team around him."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Wolfman signs, but prop is Manly's problem
    By Ben Horne
    AAP
    5:43pm Tue 10th December, 2013

Manly are confident they've nailed down The Wolfman David Williams for another season, but front row is the major concern for coach Geoff Toovey as he looks to replace 661 games of NRL experience.

Veteran props Brent Kite, Joe Galuvao and George Rose have all departed the northern beaches, leaving the Sea Eagles' engine room particularly light on up front.

Manly are relying heavily on the leadership of co-captain Jason King, but the former NSW prop is still yet to return to full training from a serious shoulder injury which some speculated would end his career.

King has had his past two seasons significantly curtailed by pectoral and shoulder problems so Manly must ensure there's sufficient depth in the bookend department to get them through the season.

Richie Fa'aoso faces an uncertain future due to injury and off-field problems, but Toovey is confident Manly can step up to the challenge of maintaining their reputed front-row strength.

The club has been boosted by news they've finally reached an agreement with winger Williams for 2014, but Toovey admits the health of King is vital for the fortunes of the losing grand finalists.

"He is. A lot of game experience has gone missing, and Jason, although he missed most of the year, will be an important figure in our forward pack for next year," he said.

"He's progressing well ... we're hoping after Christmas he'll be cleared for full contact and be able to rip in.

"We're quietly confident things will be ok (with Fa'aoso). He's had a tough year ... but hopefully he'll be right to train early January."

Toovey is excited about Brisbane recruit Dunamis Lui making his mark in the front-row rotation.

Lui, 23, served his apprenticeship under the likes of Petero Civoniceva, Ben Hannant, Corey Parker and Sam Thaiday, but ankle and knee injuries held him back.

"I learnt a lot from them, just the workload they put in every week," he said.

"The opportunity Manly gave me to be part of that top-four front row, I couldn't go past that. I'll be pushing extra hard. It was emotional for me to leave the Broncos but it was a decision I had to make."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Lote Tuqiri signs on with Souths

Dual international Lote Tuqiri has signed on to join South Sydney on a one-year deal in a boost to a backline that has been hit hard by an outflow of talent in the off season.

The former Kangaroos, Wallabies and Wests Tigers winger Tuqiri joins the club after a stint with Irish rugby club Leinster, and his recruitment partially offsets the loss of some experienced players from the Rabbitohs' three-quarter line.

South Sydney lost experienced centre Matt King to retirement following a 2013 season in which the team was bundled out in the grand final qualifier by Manly.

The cardinal and myrtle also lost a host of promising youngsters – 22-year-old centre Dylan Farrell joined St George Illawarra, talented 19-year-old junior outside back Tyrone Roberts went to Canterbury, 25-year-old winger Justin Hunt joined Parramatta, and late blooming winger Andrew Everingham went to Japanese rugby.

Coach Michael Maguire will have the services of former Wests Tigers centre Joel Reddy in 2014, but the side was still looking light on in terms of experienced backs prior the arrival of Tuqiri, who played just four games for the Tigers in 2013 as ongoing complications from a broken arm suffered in 2012 curtailed his involvement. He scored one try and ran for 74 metres per game with two line breaks in those four appearances.

Tuqiri has joined on a one-year deal effective immediately, having played 151 NRL matches since his 1999 debut, including 99 matches for the Brisbane Broncos and 52 for the Wests Tigers. He also played nine Tests for the Kangaroos and three for Fiji, as well as six State of Origin matches for Queensland.

Tuqiri also played 67 rugby Tests for the Wallabies and 89 Super Rugby matches for the NSW Waratahs, and was a member of the Australian Sevens Rugby Union team at the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire welcomed the experience Tuqiri brings to the squad.

"Lote has played the game at the highest level for many years and the experience he will bring to our young backline will be invaluable," Maguire said.

"He's expressed a desire to continue to play top level Rugby League in our discussions and he will have a chance to be selected in our top 17 based on his performances as we head towards round one and the Roosters.

"We're looking forward to having him join the side for pre-season training and seeing the influence he can have on the young players we have in our squad."

Tuqiri said he is looking forward to joining the Rabbitohs.

"I'm really excited to be back and to be part of a Club that's on the way up," he said.

"The club has some very talented youngsters and some of the superstars of the game, and it's exciting for me to be part of the Rabbitohs now."
    #itaintweaktospeak

The only thing I can say about the flying doormat v2.0 is that he is a very lucky boy to get a contract at all … very risky, imho.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The only thing I can say about the flying doormat v2.0 is that he is a very lucky boy to get a contract at all … very risky, imho.
    I couldn't imagine him playing 1st grade for Souths , maybe they bought him to mark Grothe when they play Cronulla in the NSW Cup
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Storm sign Joel Romelo, Ben Roberts

Storm sign Joel Romelo, Ben Roberts

NRL.com
    5:27pm Thu 23rd January, 2014

The Melbourne Storm have completed their off-season recruitment drive by signing former Bulldogs utility Joel Romelo and ex-Eels five-eighth Ben Roberts.

Romelo, 24, had been training with the Storm as a member of Melbourne's feeder team Brisbane Easts and has now been promoted to the NRL squad as a utility player available at hooker or in the halves.

Former Eel Roberts arrives following his World Cup campaign with Samoa and will cover five-eighth and centre, having played 130 first-grade games so far.

The club had lost a significant amount of experience in the halves after the departures of Gareth Widdop and Brett Finch at the end of the 2013 season.

"We are very pleased to have Joel and Ben join the club, we are really excited with the young players we have coming through our NRL squad, however we believe we needed to add some more experience and depth in our key positions," Storm football director Frank Ponissi said.

"Both of these players will complement our existing exciting young talent and both have the versatility to play in a number of positions."
    #itaintweaktospeak

The thought of Roberts playing for the Storm is fantastic news for every opposition team..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Parker, Hodges extend Broncos stay
    By Matt Harris, Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    2:45pm Tue 22nd April, 2014

Corey Parker and Justin Hodges have set the benchmark of bringing another Telstra Premiership back north of the border after today inking two-year contract extensions with the club, keeping them at Red Hill until the end of the 2016 season.

Brisbane's co-captains now have the opportunity to finish their careers where it all began for them on the same day in 1999, when Parker, Hodges and former Bronco Brent Tate signed their first NRL contracts with the club, with all three going on to achieve every possible accolade available in the game.

After first signing for the club 15 years ago, Hodges and Parker have witnessed two Broncos' grand final victories. While only playing in the 2006 decider, both co-captains genuinely believe their side has an ideal opportunity to add to a brimming trophy cabinet, which has lacked any new additions of silverware since their 15-8 Grand Final triumph over the Storm.

After being asked whether another premiership was a feasible goal, both captains gave clear indications that another grand final victory was a big motivator to keep playing for the Broncos.

"Yeah definitely – that's why we are still here. The reason that keeps me here is to win another premiership. It's been eight years (2006) since our last one so it's been a long time between," Hodges said.

"Hopefully before Corey and I hang up the boots we'd like to get at least another one or two [premierships]. We've got the 'cattle' to do it it's just a matter of getting a bit of luck along the way."

Parker agreed with his co-captain: "We were lucky enough in 2006 to reach [a premiership]. The feeling and satisfaction you get when you win a competition keeps you playing and that feeling [for me] is still there," he said.

"As 'Hodgo' said, I think we do have the cattle here to achieve that but there are a few things we need to do right for that to happen.

"It's certainly on our 'to-do' list and we'll be striving for that as long as we're playing.

Since debuting as a fresh-faced, shaven-headed 19-year-old in 2001, Parker has gone on to play 284 NRL games for the club and his new deal will almost certainly see him finish his career at the Broncos. It will also put him within reach of Darren Lockyer's record of 355 games if he decides to continue on after the 2016 season.

"If I look back from day one when I first signed – it was only a dream. To still be living that dream is very special to myself and furthering from that, the opportunity to play [almost] 300 games for one club sits pretty dear to me," he said.

"When I was a little boy all I ever wanted to do was to play for the Broncos and to be given that opportunity and to be fortunate enough to have now done that is something very special.

"There have been a lot of great names here at this club and I don't think I’d be the person I am [today] if I hadn't come to this club and met the people I have.

"The decision for myself was very easy so it was more of a case whether or not the club wanted to keep me."

For Hodges, who debuted on the wing for the Broncos as a 17-year-old against Canberra in Round 14, 2000 before switching allegiances to the Roosters two seasons later, today's contract extension was something on the mind of the now 31-year-old.

"Corey's been here since day one and I had three years away but I've been back for almost 10 years now," Hodges said.

"It's a place where I always thought I'd finish my career and I'm very thankful [along with] 'Cozza' towards the club for showing the faith and signing us up for two more years and hopefully finishing our careers here [at a place] we love."

Broncos chief executive Paul White reiterated the importance of having two high-profile players recommit to the club and the stability that these contract extensions will bring.

"These deals offer a commitment to these two who have shown they want to play out their careers in Broncos jerseys," said White.

"This offers some certainty for the players, but also for our members and supporters who now know our captains will finish their days as rugby league players here in our colours.

"These two are great examples of how players can develop not only on the field but as people in general when they become part of the Broncos' club."

- - - Updated - - -

Manly 'devastated' by Stewart exit
    By Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent
    NRL.com
    2:30pm Tue 22nd April, 2014

Manly Sea Eagles players are shattered to see long-serving clubman Glenn Stewart forced out of the club but are relieved the hard-working back-rower has his future sorted out.

Speaking on Wednesday morning, prop Jason King – himself a long-serving veteran of the Brookvale outfit – said the players were "devastated" to see their mate leave.

"He's a crucial member of our team and integral to a lot of success we've had over the years," King said.

"Not only that, he's a really good team member, a really good teammate. He's done everything possible in his powers for this club over the time he's been here, so it's very disappointing to see him go.

"Souths are certainly getting a very good footballer and a top bloke as well, so I guess come the end of the year we'll be a bit devastated that he's leaving but wish him all the best."

King also said it was disappointing there aren't more structures in place that allow clubs to keep long-serving players.

"We've got a few guys similar to Glenn at the club that have been here a long time. It's disappointing that for the sake of two of three years at the back end of players' careers that they can't stay one-club players," he said.

Winger David Williams said it will be a huge loss for the club but he wished Stewart all the best for the future.

"It's a big loss for the team, he's a quality player and he's a great person to have around the club but it's great that he's got somewhere to continue his career," Williams said.

"We're happy for him, it's good that he's looked after for the next couple of years."

Halfback Daly Cherry-Evans said the players are glad Stewart had his future sorted out and now the club could move forward.

Prop Josh Starling, who joined Manly from Stewart's future club the Rabbitohs at the end of last season, said he will fit in well at his new club.

"It's a bit disappointing but I've been over at Souths and he's going to have a good run there, he's going to like it, so all the best to him," Starling said.

"He's a good player, he'll make a difference anywhere he goes. Souths are very lucky to get a good footballer."
    #itaintweaktospeak

PROCTOR HOLDS TALKS WITH CHOOKS

April 23, 2014 57
    KIWI international back-rower Kevin Proctor flew to Sydney for secret talks with the Sydney Roosters today.

RLW can reveal that Proctor and his management met with Roosters coach Trent Robinson and chairman Nick Politis.

RLW revealed two weeks ago that the Roosters are keen on the Storm forward in the wake of Sonny Bill Williams’ decision to quit the club and return to rugby union in 2015.

The Storm are struggling to retain Proctor, with fellow back-rowers Ryan Hoffman and Tohu Harris also off contract.

The Dragons are also believed to be in the hunt for Proctor’s signature.

- TONY ADAMS

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously very Secret
    #itaintweaktospeak

Fifita signs new four-year deal with Sharks

NRL.com
    2:06pm Sat 26th April, 2014

Kangaroos prop Andrew Fifita has re-signed with the Cronulla Sharks for another four years, a month after a proposed move to the Canterbury Bulldogs collapsed.

The 24-year-old star, who represented New South Wales and Australia last season, will now remain at Cronulla until at least the 2018 season.

"I'm very happy to have it done and I can now concentrate on playing football," Fifita said. "I'm really looking forward to the next four years here at the Sharks, to winning a premiership and to helping to create some history for this club."

Sharks coach Peter Sharp said the signing would allow Fifita to put his full focus back onto his on-field performances this season.

"Andrew is one of the best front rowers in the game and his signing is a very much a positive for this club," Sharp said. "We look forward to him leading the way for this club not only for the rest of this year but for the next four seasons as well."
    #itaintweaktospeak

WARRIORS TO RELEASE FULLBACK KEVIN LOCKE

Star New Zealand Warriors fullback Kevin Locke is set to be released from his contract and appears likely to follow the big bucks to the English Super League.

It is understood Locke has been approached by the millionaire owner of the Salford Red Devils, Marwan Koukash, and could be released from his Warriors contract within days.

Koukash told Australia's Daily Telegraph recently that Locke was ''one of the players we are looking at. If he's available, he will be one of the first in the queue''.

Both Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah and Locke's agent declined to commen

STUFF.CO.NZ
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

CANBERRA RAIDERS SIGN JAMES TEDESCO
    RAIDERS.COM.AU – MAY 27, 2014
    POSTED IN: CANBERRA RAIDERS, JAMES TEDESCO, NEWS, PLAYER MOVEMENTS, WESTS TIGERS

The Canberra Raiders are pleased to announce the signing of rising star James Tedesco on a three year contract from the beginning of the 2015 season.

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner said the signing of Tedesco was a marquee one for the club and said the Raiders had been following his progress though his junior years and were thrilled to have him sign with the Raiders.

“James is an outstanding young talent who we see as a big signing for the Raiders and we look forward to him joining the club at the beginning of the 2015 season,” Furner said. “The Raiders have followed James’ progress from his days at St Gregory’s College Campbelltown and we know being from Camden, James will fit into the lifestyle and culture here in Canberra.”

“We wish him a successful season for the remainder of 2014 with the Wests Tigers and look forward to him joining us for pre-season 2015.”

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/canber...#ixzz32sPp2ni4
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior

Bloody good signing for the Raiders if Teddy can stay injury free!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Bloody good signing for the Raiders if Teddy can stay injury free!
    Just need a Coach to help him really develop
    #itaintweaktospeak

Panthers sign Koroisau for two years

NRL.com
    11:04am Tue 03rd June, 2014

The Panthers have continued their impressive recruitment drive out west, adding gun South Sydney hooker Apisai Koroisau to their roster for the next two years.

Koroisau has been amongst the NRL's most impressive debutants this season having performed admirably for the Rabbitohs in the absence of international rake Issac Luke, and will join the Penrith for the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

The 21-year-old rake, who played four Tests for Fiji at last year's World Cup, is the latest in an impressive list of players to join the club including halves Peter Wallace and Jamie Soward, as well as established first grade forwards Elijah Taylor, Lewis Brown and Brent Kite.

Panthers general manager of rugby league Phil Moss said Apisai will add depth to Ivan Cleary's hooking stocks, which currently include club captain Kevin Kingston and livewire Papua New Guinean national James Segeyaro.

"Apisai is a welcome addition to the Panthers family for 2015. He has speed, agility and representative football experience and he will play a key role in our team structure in the years to come," says Moss.
    #itaintweaktospeak