PDA

View Full Version : Snubbing from Titans cost Queensland the services of Luke Keary

DIEHARD
14-08-14, 03:41 AM
Snubbing from Gold Coast Titans cost Queensland the services of Rabbitohs young gun Luke Keary

HE idolised Wally Lewis and celebrated the night Darren Lockyer scored the famous try that kickstarted Queensland’s eight-year domination of State of Origin.

But Souths young gun Luke Keary was lost to the Maroons system after Queensland’s newest NRL club, the Titans, axed the rookie, claiming he’d never play first grade.

Keary will take on Broncos five-eighth Ben Barba tonight aware his Brisbane rival is eligible for the Queensland jumper the Rabbitohs pivot will never wear.

In March, the NRL formally ruled Keary a New South Welshman after the 22 year old wrote to chief executive Dave Smith asking to be considered for Queensland.

Smith ultimately rejected Keary’s submission, a ruling not aided by the Titans’ decision to dump him three years ago, just before the framing of Origin’s beefed-up eligibility rules.

Under new guidelines, Keary would have had an iron-clad argument to represent Queensland if he was graded with the Titans.

But after being overlooked by the Gold Coast, a shattered Keary returned to family in NSW to chase an NRL dream that has since materialised at the Rabbitohs.

“In 2011, I was playing union and hoping to get a start at the Titans,” recalls Keary, who moved to Sydney at age 10.

“The plan was to work my way into their 20s squad, but one day they called me in and said we don’t need you.
“It was disappointing at the time but looking back I learned from it.

“I got a kick up the butt, I came down here and knew it was my last chance with Souths. I’ve been working hard ever since and hopefully I can kick on at the Rabbitohs.”

Keary is reluctant to talk about the eligibility saga because he is too humble to believe he has earned his Origin stripes.

But his childhood experiences are evidence he’s a proud Queenslander, with Keary recently posting a photo meeting Maroons legend Lewis on social media.

“Home will always be Queensland for me,” he said.

“Growing up there, we all supported Queensland so Origin was kind of born into us up there.

“When I look back on it as a kid, the thing I remember most is when Bryan Fletcher (NSW forward) did the hand-grenade (try celebration in the Blues’ 56-16 win in the 2000 series).

“I also remember that game in Melbourne when we started eight (series wins) in a row. I’ll never forget ‘Locky’ running on to that loose pass to score and that was the start of the eight straight.”

Tonight Keary could help deliver the bullet to Queensland’s flagship NRL team and Broncos coach Anthony Griffin is wary of the rising playmaker.

“He’s a great young player,” Griffin said.

“They are blessed with depth, they have two great halves and Luke has been a tremendous young player for them.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/

TITAN PETE
14-08-14, 10:18 AM
Snubbing from Gold Coast Titans cost Queensland the services of Rabbitohs young gun Luke Keary

HE idolised Wally Lewis and celebrated the night Darren Lockyer scored the famous try that kickstarted Queensland’s eight-year domination of State of Origin.

But Souths young gun Luke Keary was lost to the Maroons system after Queensland’s newest NRL club, the Titans, axed the rookie, claiming he’d never play first grade.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/

This shows why we are the worst team probably in the world for recognising Junior talent , even Sandow should never have been let go either...

Our number one priority for the future should be the Juniors

Titanic
14-08-14, 11:25 AM
This shows why we are the worst team probably in the world for recognising Junior talent , even Sandow should never have been let go either...

Our number one priority for the future should be the Juniors
this and the Tigers connection need to be addressed immediately .

mup23
14-08-14, 12:40 PM
I'm sure Scott Sattler did his best to keep them from going to Souths...

- - - Updated - - -

I might have that timeline a little off, but the Sattler thing still seems a bit dirty

Supergoose
15-08-14, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the Tigers are recruiting 15 year olds from NZ and sticking them in Keebra Park to develop on the Gold Coast before bringing them down to The bright lights of Sydney for U20's duty.

The national draft, high school and tertiary academies will be an interesting development over the next few years. We may see junior development across the game in a whole new way and with the current Titans model it may suit us down to the ground.