PDA

View Full Version : Titans get $2m cover from NRL

DIEHARD
28-02-09, 02:17 AM
Titans get $2m cover from NRL

THE NRL has advanced competition newcomers Gold Coast $2 million to help the Titans cover a recent financial shortfall.

The global economic crisis that is threatening the liquidity of several Sydney clubs hit the Titans late last year, when the club's bank withheld $4 million from a promised loan to fund a development to Skilled Stadium.

Gold Coast needed the money to complete a $30 million "Titansworld'' Centre of Excellence, a six-storey building complete with state-of-the-art training facilities and offices. The bank had initially promised to contribute $18 million toward the venture, but changed its lending policy because of the financial crisis.

Titans CEO Michael Searle confirmed the bank had downgraded its investment to $14 million, leaving the club $4 million short. Searle tried to raise the missing funds from other banks and investors but eventually had to ask for the remainder of this season's NRL grant to be advanced.

The Daily Telegraph understands the amount forwarded was close to $2 million. "The NRL board agreed to advance them the remainder of this year's grant two weeks ago,'' NRL boss David Gallop confirmed.

"It was a highly unusual situation that the Gold Coast found itself in. The only reason that the partnership was prepared to make such a big advance was cause there are no long-term concerns about the club's financial position.''

Searle added that all remaining monies had been raised via a secondary loan from the Commonwealth Bank. "We did find ourselves $4 million short when the other bank changed its lending policy midway through the project,'' he said.

Source: http://www.news.com.au

DIEHARD
28-02-09, 02:30 AM
Well done to the NRL for advancing the money. Obviously it isn't a free ride and the club will have to work hard to find extra revenue, a strong season on the footy field would certainly help!

This Titans Centre of Excellence project is just incredibly amazing and I'm so glad that the Titans are pursuing it with unrelenting determination.

I'm glad I'm reading a positive article about this and not a crisis article. Looks like things are well handled.

This new development will be something we can all take tremendous pride in as Titans fans. It will be up there alongside Skilled Park, not only geographically but in terms of quality and innovation.

I get chills just thinking about it! :thumbsup:

Also if you aren't a member or haven't renewed yet, please consider doing so to financially support the club you love.

kioli
28-02-09, 05:35 PM
That Centre of Excellence is certainly something else. It'll set them apart from every other club in Australia. Great stuff.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
01-03-09, 12:38 AM
It will be great to see thecentre of excellence when its built, skilled park is already better than 90% of stadiums at the moment which teams play at